Influencer identification and selection on social networking sites: An analysis on Instagram
Titolo Rivista: MERCATI & COMPETITIVITÀ
Autori/Curatori: Roberta De Michele, Gianluca Marchi
Anno di pubblicazione:
Dimensione file: 500 KB
Il DOI è il codice a barre della proprietà intellettuale: per saperne di più:
The birth and diffusion of social media has changed the way firms engage their customers and develop marketing strategies. This phenomenon has received a great deal of attention from academics and practitioners interested in influencer marketing. This article contributes to the subject by exploring how various influencers act on Instagram and proposing different approaches for identifying and selecting influencers. It further discusses the relationships between different types of influencers, influencers’ selection variables and firms’ brand strategy before concluding with insights for practitioners.
Keywords: Influencer marketing, social media, Instagram
- Aaker D.A. (1991). Managing brand equity. New York, NY: The Free Press.
- Abidin C. (2015). Communicative intimacies: Influencers and perceived interconnectedness. Ada: A Journal of Gender, New Media, and Technology, 8., DOI: 10.7264/N3MW2FFG
- Abidin C. (2016). Visibility labour: Engaging with Influencers’ fashion brands and# OOTD advertorial campaigns on Instagram. Media International Australia, 161(1): 86-100.
- Bakshy E., Hofman J.K., Mason W.A. and Watts D.J. (2011). Everyone’s an influencer: Quantifying influence on Twitter. In: Proceedings of the Fourth ACM International Conference on Web Search and Data Mining, pp. 65-74, ACM., DOI: 10.1145/1935826.1935845
- Berthon P.R., Pitt L.F., Plangger K., and Shapiro D. (2012). Marketing meets Web 2.0, social media, and creative consumers: Implications for international marketing strategy. Business Horizons, 55(3): 261-271.
- Booth N., and Matic J.A. (2011). Mapping and leveraging influencers in social media to shape corporate brand perceptions. Corporate Communications: An International Journal, 16(3): 184-191., DOI: 10.1108/13563281111156853
- Brown D. and Fiorella S. (2013). Influence marketing: How to create, manage, and measure brand influencers in social media marketing. Indianapolis: Que Publishing.
- Bughin J., Doogan J. and Vetvik O.J. (2010). A new way to measure word-of-mouth marketing. McKinsey Quarterly, 2: 113-116.
- Calero A. (2013). Likes vs. comments vs. shares. — Web Text available at http://www.antoniocalero.com/2013/05/06/facebook-likes-comments-shares/.
- Carare O. (2012). The impact of bestseller rank on demand: Evidence from the app market. International Economic Review, 53(3): 717-742.
- Cha M., Haddadi H., Benevenuto F. and Gummadi K.P. (2010). Measuring user influence in Twitter: The million follower fallacy. Icwsm, 10, 10-17: 30.
- Chevalier J.A. and Mayzlin D. (2006). The effect of word of mouth on sales: Online book reviews. Journal of Marketing Research, 43.3: 345-354.
- Chu S.C. and Choi S.M. (2011). Electronic word-of-mouth in social networking sites: A cross-cultural study of the United States and China. Journal of Global Marketing, 24(3): 263-281., DOI: 10.1080/08911762.2011.592461
- Chu S.C. and Kim Y. (2011). Determinants of consumer engagement in electronic word-of-mouth (eWOM) in social networking sites. International Journal of Advertising, 30(1): 47-75.
- De Bruyn A. and Lilien G.L. (2008). A multi-stage model of word-of-mouth influence through viral marketing. International Journal of Research in Marketing, 25(3): 151-163.
- De Michele R. and Furini M. (2016). Understanding the city to make it smart. Springer International Publishing Cham, pp. 239-244., DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-47063-4_22
- De Veirman M., Cauberghe V., and Hudders L. (2017). Marketing through Instagram influencers: Impact of number of followers and product divergence on brand attitude. International Journal of Advertising, 36(5): 798-828., DOI: 10.1080/02650487.2017.1348035
- Dholakiya P. (2017). 3 industries that benefit most from influencer marketing. GrougHigh Influencer Marketing Blog. -- Web Text available at https://www.grouphigh.com/blog/3-industries-benefit-influencer-marketing/.
- eMarketer (2015). Number of companies using Instagram to nearly double next year EMarketer. -- Web Text available at https://www.emarketer.com/Article/Numberof-Companies-Using-Instagram-Nearly-Double-Next-Year/1013122.
- Erkan I. (2015). Electronic word of mouth on Instagram: Customers’ engagements with brands in different sectors. International Journal of Management, Accounting and Economics, 2(12): 1435-1444.
- Fournier S. and Avery J. (2011). The uninvited brand. Business Horizons, 54(3): 193-207.
- Freberg K., Graham K., McGaughey K. and Freberg L.A. (2011). Who are the social media influencers? A study of public perceptions of personality. Public Relations Review, 37(1): 90-92.
- Gladwell M. (2001). The tipping point: How little things can make a big difference. London: Abacus.
- Hamann H. (2014). 5 Tips for finding the right social influencers for your brand. -- Web Text available at http://www.convinceandconvert.com/digital-marketing/5-tips-for-finding-the-right-social-influencers-for-your-brand/.
- Hanna R., Rohm A. and Crittenden V.L. (2011). We’re all connected: The power of the social media ecosystem. Business Horizons, 54(3): 265-273.
- Hu M., Milner J. and Wu J. (2016). Liking and following and the Newsvendor: Operations and marketing policies under social influence. Management Science, March 2, 62(3): 867-879.
- Jensen J.F. (1998). Interactivity: Tracing a new concept in media and communication studies. Nordicom Review, 19(1): 185-204.
- Jin S.A.A. and Phua J. (2014). Following celebrities’ tweets about brands: The impact of Twitter-based electronic word-of-mouth on consumers’ source credibility perception, buying intention, and social identification with celebrities. Journal of Advertising, 43(2): 181-195., DOI: 10.1080/00913367.2013.827606
- Kaplan A.M. and Haenlein M. (2010). Users of the world, unite! The challenges and opportunities of social media. Business Horizons, 53(1): 59-68.
- Keller E. and Berry J. (2003). The influentials: One American in ten tells the other nine how to vote, where to eat, and what to buy. New York: Simon and Schuster.
- Keller K.L. (1993). Conceptualizing, measuring, and managing customer-based equity. Journal of Marketing, 57(1): 1-22., DOI: 10.1108/10610420410554449
- Ken D. (2014). Why engagement rate is more important than likes on your Facebook. Social Media Today. -- Web Text available at https://www.socialmediatoday.com/content/whyengagement-rate-more-important-likes-your-facebook.
- Kirkpatrick D. (2016). Influencer marketing spurs 11 times the ROI over traditional tactics: Study. Marketing Dive. Industry Dive. -- Web. Text available at http://www.marketingdive.com/news/influencer-marketing-spurs-11-times-the-roiover-traditional-tactics-study/416911/.
- Kiss C. and Bichler M. (2008). Identification of influencers – Measuring influence in customer networks. Decision Support Systems, 46.1: 233-253.
- Kozinets R.V. (2010). Netnography: Doing ethnographic research online. London, Sage Publications.
- Lafferty J. (2013). INFOGRAPHIC: Understanding Facebook’s post-sorting algorithm. Adweek. -- Web Text available at http://www.adweek.com/digital/infographicunderstanding-facebook-algorithm/?red=af.
- Leenders R.T.A.J. (2002). Modelling social influence through network autocorrelation: Constructing the weight matrix. Social Networks, 24(1): 21-47.
- Marchi G., Giachetti C. and de Gennaro P. (2011). Extending lead-user theory to online brand communities: The case of the community Ducati. Technovation, 31(8): 350-361.
- Moretti A. and Tuan A. (2014). Social media marketing and relationship marketing: Revolution or evolution? A first step analysis. Sinergie, Gennaio-Aprile, 93: 115-137.
- Negri F., Vigolo V. and Bonfanti A. (2016). Managing reponses to online reviews: An opportunity for value creation? Mercati & Competitività, 1: 103-122., DOI: 10.3280/MC2016-001006
- Nielsen J. (2010). Photos as web content. NNG. -- Web Text available at https://www.nngroup.com/articles/photos-as-web-content/.
- Phelps J.E., Lewis R., Mobilio L., Perry D. and Raman N. (2004). Viral marketing or electronic word-of-mouth advertising: Examining consumer responses and motivations to pass along email. Journal of Advertising Research, 44(4): 333-348.
- Rao A., Spasojevic N., Li Z. and Dsouza T. (2015, October). Klout score: Measuring influence across multiple social networks. In: Big Data (Big Data), 2015 IEEE International Conference on (pp. 2282-2289). IEEE.
- Rayson S. (2015). Facebook interactions: Why shares, likes and comments all count. Buzzsumo. — Web Text available at http://buzzsumo.com/blog/facebookinteractions-why-shares-likes-and-comments-all-count/.
- Romero M.D., Galuba W., Asur S. and Huberman B.A. (2011). Influence and passivity in social media. Proceedings of the 20th International Conference Companion on the World Wide Web. ACM., DOI: 10.1145/1963192.1963250
- Rydèn P., Rigberg T. and Wilke R. (2015). How managers’ shared mental models of business-customer interaction create different sensemaking of social media. Journal of Interactive Marketing, August, 31: 1-16.
- Sammis K., Lincoln C., Pomponi S. (2015). Influencer marketing for dummies. USA: John Wiley & Sons.
- Seebach C., Beck R. and Denisova O. (2013). Analyzing social media for corporate reputation management. International Journal of Business Intelligence Research, 4(3): 50-66.
- Sheldon P. and Bryant K. (2016). Instagram: Motives for its use and relationship to narcissism and contextual age. Computers in Human Behavior, 58: 89-97.
- TRAACKR (2018). Guide to influencer marketing. -- Retrieved from www.traackr.com on June 17th, 2018.
- Trusov M., Bodapati A.V. and Bucklin R.E. (2009). Determining influential users in internet social networks. SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Tsur O. and Rappoport A. (2012, February). What’s in a hashtag? Content-based prediction of the spread of ideas in microblogging communities. In: Proceedings of the Fifth ACM International Conference on Web Searching and Data Mining (pp. 643-652). ACM., DOI: 10.1145/2124295.2124320
- Vernuccio M. and Vescovi T. (2016). Branding in the digital era. Mercati & Competitività, 4: 15-22.
- Weiss R. (2014). Influencer marketing – How word-of-mouth marketing can strengthen your organization’s brand. Marketing Health Services, 34(1): 16-17.
- Zappavigna M. (2012). Discourse of Twitter and social media: How we use language to create affiliation on the web (Vol. 6). London: A&C Black.
Roberta De Michele, Gianluca Marchi, in "MERCATI & COMPETITIVITÀ" 4/2018, pp. 129-153, DOI:10.3280/MC2018-004008