Story-telling and story-acting: Their effects on cognitive, linguistic and motor development of preschooler children
Journal Title: RICERCHE DI PSICOLOGIA
Author/s: Valentina Gizzonio, Maria Chiara Bazzini, Cosima Marsella, Pamela Papangelo, Dolores Rollo, Giacomo Rizzolatti, Maddalena Fabbri-Destro
FullText PDF: 281 KB
(DOI is like a bar code for intellectual property: to have more infomation:
Two groups of preschooler children played with plush toys or construction toys telling and acting stories under the guidance of a psychologist. The aim of the study was to evaluate if the relation between story-telling and -acting im-proved cognitive and motor development of preschooler children respect to a control group. Both experimental groups, regardless the type of toy, improved their non-verbal fluid reasoning competence, narrative abilities and, surprisingly, also imitating hand positions skills. Most interestingly, children who played with construction toy have marked improvement in their visuospatial abilities.
Keywords: Construction play, story-telling, fluid reasoning, visuo-spatial abili-ties, fine-motor coordination.
- Horn, J.L., & Cattell, R.B. (1967). Age differences in fluid and crystallized intelligence. Acta Psychologica, 26, 107-129., DOI: 10.1016/0001-6918(67)90011-X
- Bruner, J.S. (1968). Processes of cognitive growth: Infancy. Woecerster, Mass., Clark University Press. (Trad. it. - Prime fasi dello sviluppo cognitivo. Roma: Armando, 1971).
- Bruner, J.S. (1975). From communication to language: A psychological perspective. Cognition, 3, 255-287., DOI: 10.1016/0010-0277(74)90012-2
- Casey, B.M., & Bobb, B. (2003). The power of block building. Teaching Children Mathematics, 10, 98-102.
- Casey, B.M., Andrews, N., Schindler, H., Kersh, J.E., Samper, A., & Copley, J. (2008). The Development of Spatial Skills Through Interventions Involving Block Building Activities. Cognition and Instruction, 26, 269-309., DOI: 10.1080/07370000802177177
- Cattell, R.B. (1971). Abilities: their structure, growth, and action. Oxford, England: Houghton Mifflin.
- D’Amico, S., Albano, S., Marano, A., & Devescovi, A. (2008). La Valutazione della Competenza Narrativa in Bambini Prescolari e Scolari attraverso un libro illustrato - Frog story Italian children. Rivista di Psicolinguistica Applicata, VIII, 73-90.
- Ferrara, K., Hirsh-Pasek, K., Newcombe, N.S., Golinkoff, R.M., & Shallcross Lam, W. (2011). Block talk: Spatial language during block play. Mind, Brain, and Education, 5, 143-151.
- Fisher, K., Hirsh-Pasek, K., & Golinkoff, R.M. (2012). Fostering mathematical thinking through playful learning. In S. Saggate & E. Reese (Eds.), Contemporary debates on child development and education (pp. 81-92). New York: Routledge.
- Fisher, K., Hirsh-Pasek, K., Newcombe, N., & Golinkoff, R.M. (2013). Taking shape: supporting preschoolers’ acquisition of geometric knowledge through guided play. Child Development, 84, 6, 1872-1878.
- Gasser, T., Rousson, V., Caflisch, J., & Jenni, O.G. (2010). Development of motor speed and associated movements from 5 to 18 years. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, 52, 256-263.
- Hetherington, E.M., Parke, R.D., & Schmuckler, M. (2005). Child Psychology: A Contemporary Viewpoint. 2nd. Toronto, Canada: McGraw-Hill Ryerson Ltd.
- Houwen, S., Visser, L., van der Putten, A., & Vlaskamp, C. (2016). The interrelationships between motor, cognitive, and language development in children with and without intellectual and developmental disabilities. Research in Developmental Disabilities, 53-54, 19-31.
- Korkman, M., Kirk, U., & Kemp, S. (2011). NEPSY-II. Firenze: Giunti. O.S Psycometrics.
- Molin, A., Poli, S., & Lacangeli, D. (2007). BIN, Batteria per la Valutazione dell’Intelligenza Numerica in bambini dai 4 ai 6 anni. Trento: Erickson.
- Nicolopoulou, A., Cortina, K. S., Ilgaz, H., Cates, C.B., & de Sá, A.B. (2015). Using a narrative- and play-based activity to promote low-income preschoolers’ oral language, emergent literacy, and social competence. Early Childhood Research Quarterly, 31, 147-162.
- Norman, G.R., & Streiner, D.L. (2008). Biostatistics: The Bare Essential. 3rd edition. Canada: BC. Decker.
- Piaget, J. (1954). The construction of reality in the child. New York: Basic Books.
- Piaget, J. (1964). Six etudes de psychologie. Paris: Gonthier. (Trad. it. - Lo sviluppo mentale del bambino. Torino: Einaudi, 1967).
- Pirrone, C., Amata, C.G., Cerniglia, A., & Di Nuovo, S. (2015). Playing with Building Block: a Way to Improve Numerical Intelligence and Nonverbal Reasoning. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 1-6.
- Power, T.G. (2000). Play and exploration in children and animals. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Raven, J.C. (1986). CPM (Coloured Progressive Matrices). Firenze: Giunti. O.S.
- Renfrew, C. (1997). Bus Story Test – A Test of Narrative Speech. Milano: La Favelliana.
- Rizzolatti, G., & Sinigaglia, C. (2016). The mirror mechanism: a basic principle of brain function. Nature Reviews Neuroscience, 17, 757-765.
- Roid, G.H., & Miller, L.J. (2002). Leiter-R, Leiter International Performance Scale- Revised. Firenze: Giunti O.S.
- Santrock, J.W. (2017). Psicologia dello sviluppo. Milano: McGraw-Hill Companies.
- Schmidt, M.K., Pempek, T.A., Kirkorian, H.L., Lund, A.F., & Anderson, D.R. (2008). The impact of background television on the toy play behavior of very young children. Child Development, 79, 1137-1151.
- Verdine, B.N., Golinkoff, R.M., Hirsh-Pasek, K., Newcombe, N.S., Filipowicz, A.T., & Chang, A. (2014). Deconstructing building blocks: Preschoolers’ spatial assembly performance relates to early mathematics skills. Child Development, 85, 1062-1076.
- Verdine, B.N., Golinkoff, R.M., Hirsh-Pasek, K., & Newcombe, N.I. (2017). Spatial skills, their development, and their links to mathematics. Monographs Society Res Child, 82, 7-30.
- Vygotskij, L.S. (1934). Myšlenie i reč’, Gosudarstvennoe Social’no-Ekonomičeskoe izdatel’ stvo, Moskva-Leningrad (trad. it. Pensiero e Linguaggio, Laterza, Roma-Bari 1990).
Valentina Gizzonio, Maria Chiara Bazzini, Cosima Marsella, Pamela Papangelo, Dolores Rollo, Giacomo Rizzolatti, Maddalena Fabbri-Destro, Story-telling and story-acting: Their effects on cognitive, linguistic and motor development of preschooler children in "RICERCHE DI PSICOLOGIA " 4/2018, pp. 589-606, DOI:10.3280/RIP2018-004003