Nurse Home Visitation Program for the reduction of the risk of child maltreatment: A first evaluation of the intervention of the Complex Functional Unit Mental Health Childhood and Adolescence and Young Healthcare Center Consultancy Centers of the Local Health Authority of Tuscany Center-Florence.
Journal Title: MALTRATTAMENTO E ABUSO ALL’INFANZIA
Author/s: Ludovica Di Paola, Annalaura Nocentini, Patricia Monica Bettini, Roberto Leonetti
FullText PDF: 297 KB
(DOI is like a bar code for intellectual property: to have more infomation:
Home visiting interventions in family contexts at risk of child maltreatment are importants to reduce risk factors and to promote those of pro-tection. The study proposes a first evaluation of the Florence intervention program "Home Visiting: Percorsi di Sostegno alla Genitorialità" conducted by the health workers of the Local Health Authority Tuscany Center of Florence. The study involved 20 mothers. It was conducted a retrospective analysis of the medical records and of the project files. The re-sults show that 70% of mothers have not been reported due to the risk of child maltreatment following the intervention and that late taking-charge of mothers is a risk that increases the probability of incurring reports of the risk of maltreatment. The study indicates the need for future home visiting interventions to take into account the moment of taking charge as a factor capable of guaranteeing the success of the intervention and its effectiveness.
Keywords: Nurse home visitation program, home visiting, child abuse, neglect.
- Ammaniti, M., Speranza, A. M., Tambelli, R., Odorisio, F., & Vismara, L. (2007). Sostegno alla genitorialità nelle madri a rischio: valutazione di un modello di assistenza domiciliare sullo sviluppo della prima infanzia. Infanzia e adolescenza, 2, 67-83.
- Ammerman, R. T., Putnam, F. W., Bosse, N. R., Teeters, A. R., & Van Ginkel, J. B. (2010). Maternal depression in home visitation: A systematic review. Aggression and Violent Behavior, 15(3), 191-200.
- Avellar, S. A., & Supplee, L. H. (2013). Effectiveness of home visiting in improving child health and reducing child maltreatment. Pediatrics, 132(Supplement2), S90-S99.
- Black, D. A., Heyman, R. E., & Slep, A. M. S. (2001). Risk factors for child physical abuse. Aggression and violent behavior, 6(2-3), 121-188., DOI: 10.1016/S1359-1789(00)00021-5
- Casillas, K. L., Fauchier, A., Derkash, B. T., & Garrido, E. F. (2016). Implementation of evidence-based home visiting programs aimed at reducing child maltreatment: A meta-analytic review. Child abuse & neglect, 53, 64-80.
- Chartier, M. J., Brownell, M. D., Isaac, M. R., Chateau, D., Nickel, N. C., Katz, A., ... & Taylor, C. (2017). Is the families first home visiting program effective in reducing child maltreatment and improving child development? Child maltreatment, 22(2), 121-131., DOI: 10.1177/1077559517701230
- Chu, A. T., Pineda, A. S., DePrince, A. P., & Freyd, J. J. (2011). Vulnerability and protective factors for child abuse and maltreatment. In J. W. White, M. P. Koss, & A. E. Kazdin (Eds.), Violence against women and children, Vol. 1. Mapping the terrain (p. 55-75). American Psychological Association., DOI: 10.1037/12307-003
- Counts, J. M., Buffington, E. S., Chang-Rios, K., Rasmussen, H. N., & Preacher, K. J. (2010). The development and validation of the protective factors survey: A self-report measure of protective factors against child maltreatment. Child abuse & neglect, 34(10), 762-772.
- Cox, J. E., Buman, M., Valenzuela, J., Joseph, N. P., Mitchell, A., & Woods, E. R. (2008). Depression, parenting attributes, and social support among adolescent mothers attending a teen tot program. Journal of pediatric and adolescent gynecology, 21(5), 275-281.
- Dodge, K. A., Goodman, W. B., Bai, Y., O’Donnell, K., & Murphy, R. A. (2019). Effect of a Community Agency – Administered Nurse Home Visitation Program on Program Use and Maternal and Infant Health Outcomes: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA network open, 2(11), e1914522-e1914522.
- Dodge, K. A., Goodman, W. B., Murphy, R. A., O’Donnell, K., & Sato, J. (2013). Randomized controlled trial of universal postnatal nurse home visiting: Impact on emergency care. Pediatrics, 132(Supplement 2), S140-S146.
- Doidge, J. C., Higgins, D. J., Delfabbro, P., & Segal, L. (2017). Risk factors for child maltreatment in an Australian population-based birth cohort. Child Abuse & Neglect, 64, 47-60.
- Donelan-McCall, N., Eckenrode, J., & Olds, D. L. (2009). Home visiting for the prevention of child maltreatment: Lessons learned during the past 20 years. Pediatric Clinics of North America, 56(2), 389-403.
- Duggan, A., Fuddy, L., Burrell, L., Higman, S. M., McFarlane, E., Windham, A., & Sia, C. (2004). Randomized trial of a statewide home visiting program to prevent child abuse: Impact in reducing parental risk factors. Child abuse & neglect, 28(6), 623-643.
- Eckenrode, J., Ganzel, B., Henderson Jr, C. R., Smith, E., Olds, D. L., Powers, J., ... & Sidora, K. (2000). Preventing child abuse and neglect with a program of nurse home visitation: The limiting effects of domestic violence. Jama, 284(11), 1385-1391.
- Eddy, J. M., Shortt, J. W., Martinez, C. R., Holmes, A., Wheeler, A., Gau, J., ... & Grossman, J. (2020). Outcomes from a randomized controlled trial of the Relief Nursery program. Prevention Science, 21(1), 36-46.
- Gillmore, M. R., Gilchrist, L., Lee, J., & Oxford, M. L. (2006). Women who gave birth as unmarried adolescents: Trends in substance use from adolescence to adulthood. Journal of Adolescent Health, 39(2), 237-243.
- Greenberg, M. T., Weissberg, R. P., O’Brien, M. U., Zins, J. E., Fredericks, L., Resnik, H., & Elias, M. J. (2003). Enhancing school-based prevention and youth development through coordinated social, emotional, and academic learning. American psychologist, 58(6-7), 466., DOI: 10.1037/0003-066X.58.6-7.466
- Li, F., Godinet, M. T., & Arnsberger, P. (2011). Protective factors among families with children at risk of maltreatment: Follow up to early school years. Children and Youth Services Review, 33(1), 139-148.
- Lyons‐Ruth, K., & Easterbrooks, M. A. (2006). Assessing mediated models of family change in response to infant home visiting: A two‐phase longitudinal analysis. Infant mental health journal, 27(1), 55-69.
- Maggi, S., Irwin, L. J., Siddiqi, A., & Hertzman, C. (2010). The social determinants of early child development: an overview. Journal of paediatrics and child health, 46(11), 627-635.
- Milner, J. S., & Chilamkurti, C. (1991). Physical child abuse perpetrator characteristics: A review of the literature. Journal of Interpersonal violence, 6(3), 345-366., DOI: 10.1177/088626091006003007
- Mulder, T. M., Kuiper, K. C., van der Put, C. E., Stams, G. J. J., & Assink, M. (2018). Risk factors for child neglect: A meta-analytic review. Child abuse & neglect, 77, 198-210.
- Olds, D. L. (2006). The nurse–family partnership: An evidence‐based preventive intervention. Infant Mental Health Journal, 27(1), 5-25.
- Olds, D. L., & Kitzman, H. (1993). Review of research on home visiting for pregnant women and parents of young children. The future of children, 53-92., DOI: 10.2307/1602543
- Olds, D. L., Eckenrode, J., Henderson, C. R., Kitzman, H., Powers, J., Cole, R., ... & Luckey, D. (1997a). Long-term effects of home visitation on maternal life course and child abuse and neglect: Fifteen-year follow-up of a randomized trial. Jama, 278(8), 637-643.
- Olds, D. L., Robinson, J., O’Brien, R., Luckey, D. W., Pettitt, L. M., Henderson, C. R., ... & Talmi, A. (2002). Home visiting by paraprofessionals and by nurses: a randomized, controlled trial. Pediatrics, 110(3), 486-496.
- Olds, D. L., Robinson, J., Pettitt, L., Luckey, D. W., Holmberg, J., Ng, R. K., ... & Henderson, C. R. (2004). Effects of home visits by paraprofessionals and by nurses: age 4 follow-up results of a randomized trial. Pediatrics, 114(6), 1560-1568.
- Olds, D., Henderson Jr, C., Kitzman, H., Eckenrode, J., Cole, R., & Tatelbaum, R. (1998). The promise of home visitation: Results of two randomized trials. Journal of Community Psychology, 26(1), 5-21.
- Olds, D., Kitzman, H., Cole, R., & Robinson, J. (1997b). Theoretical foundations of a program of home visitation for pregnant women and parents of young children. Journal of community psychology, 25(1), 9-25.
- Ridings, L. E., Beasley, L. O., & Silovsky, J. F. (2017). Consideration of risk and protective factors for families at risk for child maltreatment: An intervention approach. Journal of family violence, 32(2), 179-188.
- Riva Crugnola, C., Ierardi, E., Albizzati, A., & Downing, G. (2016). Effectiveness of an attachment-based intervention program in promoting emotion regulation and attachment in adolescent mothers and their infants: a pilot study. Frontiers in psychology, 7, 195.
- Riva Crugnola, C., Ierardi, E., Bottini, M., Verganti, C., & Albizzati, A. (2019a). Childhood experiences of maltreatment, reflective functioning and attachment in adolescent and young adult mothers: Effects on mother-infant interaction and emotion regulation. Child Abuse & Neglect, 93, 277-290.
- Riva Crugnola, C., Ierardi, E., Peruta, V., Moioli, M., & Albizzati, A. (2019b). Video-feedback attachment based intervention aimed at adolescent and young mothers: effectiveness on infant-mother interaction and maternal mind-mindedness. Early Child Development and Care, 1-15., DOI: 10.1080/03004430.2019.1652172
- Robling, M., Bekkers, M. J., Bell, K., Butler, C. C., Cannings-John, R., Channon, S., ... & Kenkre, J. (2016). Effectiveness of a nurse-led intensive home-visitation programme for first-time teenage mothers (Building Blocks): a pragmatic randomised controlled trial. The Lancet, 387(10014), 146-155., DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(15)00392-X
- Salvioni, L. (2020). Empatia e Child Abuse Potential. Maltrattamento e abuso all’infanzia.
- Segal, L., Nguyen, H., Gent, D., Hampton, C., & Boffa, J. (2018). Child protection outcomes of the Australian Nurse Family Partnership Program for Aboriginal infants and their mothers in Central Australia. PlosOne, 13(12).
- Shonkoff, J. P. (2016). Capitalizing on advances in science to reduce the health consequences of early childhood adversity. JAMA pediatrics, 170(10), 1003-1007.
- Sierau, S., Dähne, V., Brand, T., Kurtz, V., von Klitzing, K., & Jungmann, T. (2016). Effects of home visitation on maternal competencies, family environment, and child development: a randomized controlled trial. Prevention science, 17(1), 40-51.
- Smith, A. L., Cross, D., Winkler, J., Jovanovic, T., & Bradley, B. (2014). Emotional dysregulation and negative affect mediate the relationship between maternal history of child maltreatment and maternal child abuse potential. Journal of Family Violence, 29(5),483-494.
- Stith, S. M., Liu, T., Davies, L. C., Boykin, E. L., Alder, M. C., Harris, J. M., ... & Dees, J. E. M. E. G. (2009). Risk factors in child maltreatment: A meta-analytic review of the literature. Aggression and violent behavior, 14(1), 13-29.
- Sweet, M. A., & Appelbaum, M. I. (2004). Is home visiting an effective strategy? A meta‐analytic review of home visiting programs for families with young children. Child development, 75(5), 1435-1456.
- Tambelli, R., Odorisio, F., & Notari, V. (2010). Sicurezza materna e interventi compensativi nella maternità a rischio. Età Evolutiva, 96, 89-103.
- Tenuta, F., Bartolo, M. G., Diano, D., & Costabile, A. (2020). Maltrattamento e abuso: una rassegna su definizioni, tipologie e interventi per la tutela dei soggetti a rischio. Maltrattamento e abuso all’infanzia.
- Terrone, G., Musetti, A., Di Folco, S., & Pergola, R. F. (2017). Depressione materna e paterna: fattori di rischio e di protezione nella genitorialità. Maltrattamento e abuso all’infanzia.
- Toth, S. L., Gravener-Davis, J. A., Guild, D. J., & Cicchetti, D. (2013). Relational interventions for child maltreatment: Past, present, and future perspectives. Development and psychopathology, 25(4pt2), 1601-1617., DOI: 10.1017/S0954579413000795
- van der Put, C. E., Assink, M., Gubbels, J., & van Solinge, N. F. B. (2018). Identifying effective components of child maltreatment interventions: a meta-analysis. Clinical child and family psychology review, 21(2), 171-202.
- Zeanah, P. D., Larrieu, J. A., Boris, N. W., & Nagle, G. A. (2006). Nurse home visiting: Perspectives from nurses. Infant mental health Journal, 27(1), 41-54.
Ludovica Di Paola, Annalaura Nocentini, Patricia Monica Bettini, Roberto Leonetti, Nurse Home Visitation Program for the reduction of the risk of child maltreatment: A first evaluation of the intervention of the Complex Functional Unit Mental Health Childhood and Adolescence and Young Healthcare Center Consultancy Centers of the Local Health Authority of Tuscany Center-Florence. in "MALTRATTAMENTO E ABUSO ALL’INFANZIA" 3/2020, pp. 89-112, DOI:10.3280/MAL2020-003008