Parenting during COVID-19 emergency: Perceived stress and children’s emotional difficulties.
Journal Title: MALTRATTAMENTO E ABUSO ALL’INFANZIA
Author/s: Elena Canzi, Laura Ferrari, Giulia Lopez, Francesca Vittoria Danioni, Sonia Ranieri, Miriam Parise, Ariela Francesca Pagani, Daniela Barni, Silvia Donato, Anna Bertoni, Giada Rapelli, Raffaella Iafrate, MargheritaLanz, Camillo Regalia, Rosa Rosnati
FullText PDF: 214 KB
(DOI is like a bar code for intellectual property: to have more infomation:
A growing body of research has documented the negative impact of COVID-19 containment measures on children’s psychological well-being. The role of parental stress and the specific impact of different parental stressors on children’s difficulties are underinvestigated. The current cross-sectional study was aimed at exploring the link between children’s (3-17 years of age) emotional difficulties and some specific sources of parental stress after the first lockdown period and which sources of parental stress contribute to children’s difficulties. 506 Italian parents filled in an online questionnaire at the end of June 2020. Results showed that the limitation of social interactions and family life arrangements have a significant impact on children’s difficulties, suggesting focused interventions aimed at reducing the negative impact of the pandemic on younger generations.
Keywords: COVID-19; stress; emotional difficulties; parent-child relationship.
- Vagni, M., Maiorano, T., Giostra, V., & Pajardi, D. (2020). Coping with COVID-19: Emergency stress, secondary trauma and self-efficacy in healthcare and emergency workers in Italy. Frontiers in Psychology, 11.
- Vaughan, C. A., Foshee, V. A., & Ennett, S. T. (2010). Protective effects of maternal and peer support on depressive symptoms during adolescence. Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 38, 261-272.
- Barni, D., Danioni, F., Canzi, E., Ferrari, L., Ranieri, S., Iafrate, R., Lanz, M., Regalia, C., & Rosnati, R. (2020). Facing the COVID-19 pandemic: The role of sense of coherence. Frontiers Psychology, 11.
- Wang, G., Zhang, Y., Zhao, J., Zhang, J., & Jiang, F. (2020). Mitigate the effects of home confinement on children during the COVID-19 outbreak. The Lancet, 395, 945-947., DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30520-
- Williams, M. (2020). Loneliness during mass social distancing: An exploratory qualitative study of loneliness in college students during the COVID-19 pandemic. Lewis Honors College Capstone Collection, 51 -- (Disponibile online: https://uknowledge.uky.edu/honprog/51)
- Zhai, Y., & Du, X. (2020). Mental health care for international Chinese students affected by the COVID-19 outbreak. The Lancet Psychiatry, 7, e22., DOI: 10.1016/S2215-0366(20)30089
- Brooks, S. K., Webster, R. K., Smith, L. E., Woodland, L., Wessely, S., Greenberg, N., & Rubin, G. J. (2020). The psychological impact of quarantine and how to reduce it: Rapid review of the evidence. The Lancet, 395, 912-920., DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30460-8
- Brown, S. M., Doom, J. R., Lechuga-Peña, S., Watamura, S. E., & Koppels, T. (2020). Stress and parenting during the global COVID-19 pandemic. Child Abuse & Neglect, 110.
- Cacioppo, M., Bouvier, S., Bailly, R., Houx, L., Lempereur, M., Mensah-Gourmel, J., ... & ECHO Group. (2020). Emerging health challenges for children with physical disabilities and their parents during the COVID-19 pandemic: The ECHO French survey. Annals of physical and rehabilitation medicine.
- Casagrande, M., Favieri, F., Tambelli, R., & Forte, G. (2020). The enemy who sealed the world: Effects quarantine due to the COVID-19 on sleep quality, anxiety, and psychological distress in the Italian population. Sleep Medicine, 75, 12-20.
- Cellini, N., Canale, N., Mioni, G., & Costa, S. (2020). Changes in sleep pattern, sense of time and digital media use during COVID‐19 lockdown in Italy. Journal of Sleep Research.
- Cigala, A., Mori, A., & Reho, A. (2018). Processi di socializzazione emotiva familiare: modelli di funzionamento e rischio psicosociale. Un’analisi della letteratura. Maltrattamento e abuso all’infanzia, 19, 11-19., DOI: 10.3280/MAL2018-002002
- Chen, Y., Zhou, H., Zhou, Y., & Zhou, F. (2020). Prevalence of self-reported depression and anxiety among pediatric medical staff members during the COVID-19 outbreak in Guiyang, China. Psychiatry Research, 288.
- Cluver, L., Lachman, J. M., Sherr, L., Wessels, I., Krug, E., Rakotomalala, S., ... & McDonald, K. (2020). Parenting in a time of COVID-19. The Lancet, 395(e64)., DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30736-4
- Confalonieri, E., Olivari, M. G., & Ionio, C. (2013). Eventi traumatici in adolescenza: Risposte psicologiche e comportamentali. Maltrattamento e abuso all’infanzia, 13, 87-99., DOI: 10.3280/MAL2013-002005
- Donato, S., Parise, M., Pagani, A. F., Lanz, M., Regalia, C., Rosnati, R., & Iafrate, R. (2021). Together against COVID-19 concerns: The role of the dyadic coping process for partners’ psychological well-being during the pandemic. Frontiers in Psychology, 11.
- Fiorillo, A., Sampogna, G., Giallonardo, V., Del Vecchio, V., Luciano, M., Albert, U., ... & Nanni, M. G. (2020). Effects of the lockdown on the mental health of the general population during the COVID-19 pandemic in Italy: Results from the COMET collaborative network. European Psychiatry, 1-28.
- Forte, G., Favieri, F., Tambelli, R., & Casagrande, M. (2020). The enemy which sealed the world: Effects of COVID-19 diffusion on the psychological state of the Italian population. Journal of Clinical Medicine, 9, 1802.
- Goodman, R. (1997). The Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire: A research note. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 38, 581-586.
- Government (2020). Italian government: Measures to face the coronavirus Covid-19. Retrieved April 16th, 2020 -- (documento internet: http://www.governo.it/it/coronavirus).
- Gualano, M. R., Lo Moro, G., Voglino, G., Bert, F., & Siliquini, R. (2020). Effects of Covid-19 lockdown on mental health and sleep disturbances in Italy. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17.
- Herbert, J. S., Mitchell, A., Brentnall, S. J., & Bird, A. L. (2020). Identifying Rewards Over Difficulties Buffers the Impact of Time in COVID-19 Lockdown for Parents in Australia. Frontiers in Psychology, 11, 3441.
- Hoffman, J. A., & Miller, E. A. (2020). Addressing the consequences of school closure due to COVID‐19 on children’s physical and mental well‐being. World Medical & Health Policy, 12, 300-310.
- Holmes, E. A., O’Connor, R. C., Perry, V. H., Tracey, I., Wessely, S., Arseneault, L., ... & Bullmore, E. (2020). Multidisciplinary research priorities for the COVID-19 pandemic: a call for action for mental health science. The Lancet Psychiatry, 7, 547-560., DOI: 10.1016/S2215-0366(20)30168-1
- Ionio, C., & Mascheroni, E. (2014). L’impatto delle esperienze di vita negative della madre sul bambino. Maltrattamento e abuso all’infanzia, 18, 87-104., DOI: 10.3280/MAL2014-003006
- Jiao, W. Y., Wang, L. N., Liu, J., Fang, S. F., Jiao, F. Y., Pettoello-Mantovani, M., & Somekh, E. (2020). Behavioral and Emotional Disorders in Children during the COVID-19 Epidemic. The Journal of Pediatrics, 221, 264-266.
- Lee, J. (2020). Mental health effects of school closures during COVID-19. The Lancet Child & Adolescent Health, 4, 421., DOI: 10.1016/S2352-4642(20)30109-7
- Liu, J. J., Bao, Y., Huang, X., Shi, J., & Lu, L. (2020). Mental health considerations for children quarantined because of COVID-19. The Lancet Child & Adolescent Health, 4, 347-349., DOI: 10.1016/S2352-4642(20)30096-1
- Liu, X., Kakade, M., Fuller, C. J., Fan, B., Fang, Y., Kong, J., ... & Wu, P. (2012). Depression after exposure to stressful events: Lessons learned from the severe acute respiratory syndrome epidemic. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 53, 15-23.
- Masonbrink, A. R., & Hurley, E. (2020). Advocating for children during the COVID-19 school closures. Pediatrics, 146.
- Morelli, M., Cattelino, E., Baiocco, R., Trumello, C., Babore, A., Candelori, C., & Chirumbolo, A. (2020). Parents and children during the COVID-19 lockdown: The influence of parenting distress and parenting self-efficacy on children’s emotional well-being. Frontiers in Psychology, 11, 2584.
- Muratori, P., & Ciacchini, R. (2020). Children and the COVID-19 transition: psychological reflections and suggestions on adapting to the emergency. Clinical Neuropsychiatry, 17, 131-134., DOI: 10.36131/CN20200219
- Needham, B. L. (2008). Reciprocal relationships between symptoms of depression and parental support during the transition from adolescence to young adulthood. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 37, 893-905.
- Nguyen, H. C., Nguyen, M. H., Do, B. N., Tran, C. Q., Nguyen, T. T., Pham, K. M., ... & Duong, T. V. (2020). People with suspected COVID-19 symptoms were more likely depressed and had lower health-related quality of life: The potential benefit of health literacy. Journal of Clinical Medicine, 9.
- Nickell, L. A., Crighton, E. J., Tracy, C. S., Al-Enazy, H., Bolaji, Y., Hanjrah, S., ... & Upshur, R. E. (2004). Psychosocial effects of SARS on hospital staff: survey of a large tertiary care institution. Cmaj, 170, 793-798.
- Orben, A., Tomova, L., & Blakemore, S. J. (2020). The effects of social deprivation on adolescent social development and mental health. The Lacet Child & Adolescent Health, 4, 634-640., DOI: 10.1016/S2352-4642(20)30186-3
- Pearlin, L. I., Aneshensel, C. S., & LeBlanc, A. J. (1997). The forms and mechanisms of stress proliferation: The case of AIDS caregivers. Journal of Health and Social Behavior, 38, 223-236., DOI: 10.2307/2955368
- Pettit, J. W., Roberts, R. E., Lewinsohn, P. M., Seeley, J. R., & Yaroslavsky, I. (2011). Developmental relations between perceived social support and depressive symptoms through emerging adulthood: Blood is thicker than water. Journal of Family Psychology, 25, 127-136.
- Pisano, L., Galimi, D., & Cerniglia, L. (2020). A qualitative report on exploratory data on the possible emotional/behavioral correlates of Covid-19 lockdown in 4-10 years children in Italy. PsyArXiv.
- Rapelli, G., Lopez, G., Donato, S., Pagani, A. F., Parise, M., Bertoni, A., & Iafrate, R. (2020). A postcard from Italy: Challenges and psychosocial resources of partners living with and without a chronic disease during COVID-19 epidemic. Frontiers in Psychology, 11, 3559.
- Rossi, R., Socci, V., Talevi, D., Mensi, S., Niolu, C., Pacitti, F., ... & Di Lorenzo, G. (2020). COVID-19 pandemic and lockdown measures impact on mental health among the general population in Italy. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 11.
- Scabini & Iafrate (2019). Psicologia dei legami familiari. Milano: il Mulino.
- Shen, K., Yang, Y., Wang, T., Zhao, D., Jiang, Y., Jin, R., ... & Gao, L. (2020). Diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of 2019 novel coronavirus infection in children: experts’ consensus statement. World Journal of Pediatrics, 1-9.
- Singh, S., Roy, M. D., Sinha, C. P. T. M. K., Parveen, C. P. T. M. S., Sharma, C. P. T. G., & Joshi, C. P. T. G. (2020). Impact of COVID-19 and lockdown on mental health of children and adolescents: A narrative review with recommendations. Psychiatry Research.
- Sohrabi, C., Alsafi, Z., O’Neill, N., Khan, M., Kerwan, A., Al-Jabir, A., ... & Agha, R. (2020). World Health Organization declares global emergency: A review of the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19). International Journal of Surgery, 76, 71-6.
- Spinelli, M., Lionetti, F., Pastore, M., & Fasolo, M. (2020). Parents’ stress and children’s psychological problems in families facing the COVID-19 outbreak in Italy. Frontiers in Psychology, 11.
- Sprang, G., & Silman, M. (2013). Posttraumatic stress disorder in parents and youth after health-related disasters. Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness, 7, 105-110.
- Tang, S., Xiang, M., Cheung, T., & Xiang, Y. T. (2020). Mental health and its correlates among children and adolescents during COVID-19 school closure: The importance of parent-child discussion. Journal of Affective Disorders, 279: 353-360.
- Taylor, M. R., Agho, K. E., Stevens, G. J., & Raphael, B. (2008). Factors influencing psychological distress during a disease epidemic: data from Australia’s first outbreak of equine influenza. BMC Public Health, 8, 347., DOI: 10.1186/1471-2458-8-34
- Taylor, S., Landry, C., Paluszek, M., Fergus, T. A., McKay, D., & Asmundson, G. J. (2020). Development and initial validation of the COVID Stress Scales. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 72, 102232.
- Tobia, V., & Marzocchi, G. M. (2018). The strengths and difficulties questionnaire-parents for Italian school-aged children: Psychometric properties and norms. Child Psychiatry & Human Development, 49, 1-8.
- Twenge, J. M., & Joiner, T. E. (2020). US Census Bureau‐assessed prevalence of anxiety and depressive symptoms in 2019 and during the 2020 COVID‐19 pandemic. Depression and anxiety, 37, 954-956.
Elena Canzi, Laura Ferrari, Giulia Lopez, Francesca Vittoria Danioni, Sonia Ranieri, Miriam Parise, Ariela Francesca Pagani, Daniela Barni, Silvia Donato, Anna Bertoni, Giada Rapelli, Raffaella Iafrate, MargheritaLanz, Camillo Regalia, Rosa Rosnati, Parenting during COVID-19 emergency: Perceived stress and children’s emotional difficulties. in "MALTRATTAMENTO E ABUSO ALL’INFANZIA" 1/2021, pp. 29-46, DOI:10.3280/MAL2021-001003