Investigating the effectiveness of the university counseling service during the Covid-19 pan-demic. Preliminary data on students’ well-being
Journal Title: PSICOLOGIA DELLA SALUTE
Author/s: Luigi Tinella, Anna Lacerenza, Concetta Papapicco, Tiziana Lanciano, Alessandro Taurino, Amedeo Stella, Antonietta Curci
FullText PDF: 325 KB
(DOI is like a bar code for intellectual property: to have more infomation:
Covid-19 pandemic and its following confinement measures had a strong impact on individual’s well-being especially on undergraduate university students. The present study aimed to investigate the effects of a counseling intervention on university students during the first stage of the current pandemic (march-october 2020). The authors investigated this issue by assessing self-reported measures of Psychological Well-Being, Emotion-Regulation, and Per-ceived Self-Efficacy, in a sample of 49 (37 females) students requiring access to the Counsel-ing Service of the University of Bari "Aldo Moro2, Italy. A series of repeated-measures ANOVA 2x2 was performed considering both the pre-post factor and gender as independent variables on each of the self-reported measures. Results showed a significantly increased Psychological well-being, use of functional Emotion-Regulation strategies, and Perceived Self-Efficacy in the sample.
Keywords: university counseling, well-being, Covid-19
- Al-badareen G. (2016). Cognitive emotion regulation strategies as predictors of academic achievement among university students. Journal of Educational and Psychological Studies-Sultan Qaboos University, 10, 4: 680-686, 10.
- Dewaele J.M., Magdalena A.F. and Saito K. (2019). The effect of perception of teacher characteristics on Spanish EFL Learners’ Anxiety and Enjoyment. The Modern Language Journal, 103(2): 412-427.
- Farnese M.L., Avallone F., Pepe S., Porcelli R. (2007). Scala di autoefficacia percepita nella gestione di problemi complessi. ISFOL in collaborazione con la facoltà di Psicologia 2 dell’Università degli Studi di Roma “Sapienza”. -- Per saperne di più: https://www.stateofmind.it/2014/10/percezione-autoefficacia-negli-psicoterapeuti-in-formazione/”
- Faul F., Erdfelder E., Buchner A. and Lang A.G. (2009). Statistical power analyses using G* Power 3.1: Tests for correlation and regression analyses. Behavior Research Methods. 41(4): 1149-1160., DOI: 10.3758/BRM.41.4.114
- Gaygisiz U., Gaygisiz E., Ozkan T. and Lajunen T. (2012). Individual differences in behavioral reactions to H1N1 during a later stage of the epidemic. Journal of Infection and Public Health, 5(1): 9-21.
- Germani A., Buratta L., Delvecchio E. and Mazzeschi C. (2020). Emerging Adults and COVID-19: The Role of Individualism-Collectivism on Perceived Risks and Psychological Maladjustment. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17(10): 3497.
- Gross J.J. (1998). Antecedent- and response-focused emotion regulation: divergent consequences for experience, expression, and physiology. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 74(1): 224-237., DOI: 10.1037//0022-3522.214.171.124
- Gross J.J. (2001). Emotion Regulation in Adulthood: Timing Is Everything. Current Directions in Psychological Science, 10(6): 214-219., DOI: 10.1111/1467-8721.0015
- Gross J.J. and John O.P. (2003). Individual differences in two emotion regulation processes: Implications for affect, relationships, and well-being. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 85: 348-362., DOI: 10.1037/0022-35126.96.36.199
- Grossi E., Groth N., Mosconi P., Cerutti R., Pace F., Compare A. and Apolone G. (2006). Development and validation of the short version of the Psychological General Well-Being Index (PGWB-S). Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 4: 88., DOI: 10.1186/1477-7525-4-8
- Gumora G. (1999). Emotion regulation and academic achievement. New York: Yeshiva University.
- Hasan N. and Bao Y. (2020). Impact of “e-Learning crack-up” perception on psychological distress among college students during COVID-19 pandemic: A mediating role of “fear of academic year loss”. Children and Youth Services Review, 118: 105355.
- Hayat A.A., Shateri K., Amini M. and Shokrpour N. (2020). Relationships between academic self-efficacy, learning-related emotions, and metacognitive learning strategies with academic performance in medical students: a structural equation model. BMC Medical Education, 20(1): 1-11.
- Ho C.S., Chee C.Y. and Ho R.C. (2020). Mental Health Strategies to Combat the Psychological Impact of COVID-19 Beyond Paranoia and Panic. Annals of the Academy of Medicine, 49(3): 155-160.
- Houben M., Van Den Noortgate W. and Kuppens P. (2015). The relation between short-term emotion dynamics and psychological well-being: A meta-analysis. Psychological Bulletin, 141(4): 901.
- Iannaccone A., Ghodbane I. e Rosciano R. (2005). La “Ricerca del Significato” nel contesto universitario: il mestiere di studente. In Mannarini T., Perucca A. e Salvatore S., Quale psicologia per la scuola del futuro. Roma: ICA, Firera Publishing Group.
- Jæger M.M. and Blaabæk E.H. (2020). Inequality in learning opportunities during Covid-19: Evidence from library takeout. Research in Social Stratification and Mobility, 68, Article 100524.
- Jiang S. (2020). Psychological well-being and distress in adolescents: An investigation into associations with poverty, peer victimization, and self-esteem. Children and Youth Services Review, 111, Article 104824.
- Ko C.H., Yen C.F., Yen J.Y. and Yang M.J. (2006). Psychosocial impact among the public of the severe acute respiratory syndrome epidemic in Taiwan. Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, 60(4): 397-403.
- Lanciano T., Graziano G., Curci A., Costadura S. and Monaco A. (2020). Risk Perceptions and Psychological Effects During the Italian COVID-19 Emergency. Frontiers in Psychology, 11: 580053.
- Laquale M.G., Stella A. e Taurino A. (2015). Il counseling psicodinamico per studenti universitari: una ricerca empirica di valutazione dell’efficacia. Psicologia della Salute, 2: 76-100.
- Liu X., Kakade M., Fuller C.J., Fan B., Fang Y., Kong J., Guan Z. and Wu P. (2012). Depression after exposure to stressful events: lessons learned from the severe acute respiratory syndrome epidemic. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 53(1): 15-23.
- Lopez A., Caffò A.O., Tinella L., Di Masi M.N. and Bosco A. (2021) Variations in mindfulness associated with the COVID-19 outbreak: Differential effects on cognitive failures, intrusive thoughts and rumination. Applied Psychology: Health and Well-Being. Epub ahead of print.
- Ornell F., Schuch J.B., Sordi A.O. and Kessler F. (2020). “Pandemic fear” and COVID-19: mental health burden and strategies. Revista Brasileira de Psiquiatria, 42(3): 232-235., DOI: 10.1590/1516-4446-2020-000
- Peng E. Y.‑C., Lee M.‑B., Tsai S.‑T., Yang C.‑C., Morisky D.E., Tsai L.‑T., . . .Lyu S.‑Y. (2010). Population-based post-crisis psychological distress: An example from the SARS outbreak in Taiwan. Journal of the Formosan Medical Association, 109(7): 524-532., DOI: 10.1016/S0929-6646(10)60087-
- Pérez-Fuentes M., Molero Jurado M., Martos Martínez Á. and Gázquez Linares J.J. (2020). Threat of COVID-19 and emotional state during quarantine: Positive and negative affect as mediators in a cross-sectional study of the Spanish population. PloS one, 15(6): e0235305.
- Qiu J., Shen B., Zhao M., Wang Z., Xie B. and Xu Y. (2020). A nationwide survey of psychological distress among Chinese people in the COVID-19 epidemic: Implications and policy recommendations. General Psychiatry, 33(2): e100213.
- Rentero D., Juanes A., Losada C.P., Álvarez S., Parra A., Santana V., Martí I. and Urricelqui J. (2020). New-onset psychosis in COVID-19 pandemic: a case series in Madrid. Psychiatry Research, 290: 113097.
- Ryff C.D. and Keyes C.L.M. (1995). The structure of psychological well-being revisited. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 69(4): 719., DOI: 10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.52
- Sahu P. (2020). Closure of Universities Due to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Impact on Education and Mental Health of Students and Academic Staff. Cureus, 12(4): e7541.
- Savage M.J., James R., Magistro D., Donaldson J., Healy L.C., Nevill M. and Hennis P.J. (2020). Mental health and movement behaviour during the COVID-19 pandemic in UK university students: Prospective cohort study. Mental Health and Physical Activity, 19: 100357.
- Savarese G., Carpinelli L., Fasano O., Mollo M., Pecoraro N. and Iannaccone A. (2014). La ricerca del benessere individuale nei percorsi di counseling psicologico universitario. Atti del Convegno “I luoghi del benessere”, pp. 155-165, Napoli.
- Savarese G., Curcio L., D’Elia D., Fasano O. and Pecoraro N. (2020). Online University counselling services and psychological problems among Italian students in lockdown due to Covid-19. Healthcare, 8: 440.
- Siddiqui S. (2015). Impact of self-efficacy on psychological well-being among undergraduate students. The International Journal of Indian Psychology, 2(3): 5-16., DOI: 10.25215/0203.04
- Derogatis L.R. (2011). SCL-90-R. Firenze: Giunti O.S.
- De Vera Garcia M.I.V. and Gabari Gambarte M.I. (2019). Resilience as a protective factor of chronic stress in teachers. European Journal of Investigation in Health, Psychology and Education, 9: 159-175.
- Cisler J.M. and Koster E.H. (2010). Mechanisms of attentional biases towards threat in anxiety disorders: An integrative review. Clinical Psychology Review, 30(2): 203-16.
- Chandra P.S., Shiva L., Nagendrappa S., Ganjekar S. and Thippeswamy H. (2020). COVID 19 related Psychosis as an interface of fears, socio-cultural issues and vulnerability-case report of two women from India. Psychiatry Research, 290: 113136.
- Chan S.M., Chiu F.K., Lam C.W., Leung P.Y. and Conwell Y. (2006). Elderly suicide and the 2003 SARS epidemic in Hong Kong. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 21(2): 113-118.
- Cassidy C. and Trew K. (2004). Identity change in Northern Ireland: A longitudinal study of students’ transition to university. Journal of Social Issues, 60(3): 3, 523-540.
- Cao W., Fang Z., Hou G., Han M., Xu X., Dong J. and Zheng J. (2020). The psychological impact of the COVID-19 epidemic on college students in China. Psychiatry Research, 287: 112934.
- Brown E., Gray R., Lo S., Donoghue B.O., Nelson B., Thompson A., Francey S. and Mcgorry P. (2020). The potential impact of COVID-19 on psychosis: A rapid review of contemporary epidemic and pandemic research. Schizophrenia Research, 222: 79-87.
- Brooks S.K., Webster R.K., Smith L.E., Woodland L., Wessely S., Greenberg N. and Rubin G.J. (2020). The psychological impact of quarantine and how to reduce it: rapid review of the evidence. The Lancet, 395(10227): 912-920., DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30460-
- Boekaerts M. (2011). Emotions, emotion regulation and self-regulation of learning. In Zimmerman B.J. and Schutz D.H. (Eds.), Handbook of the Self-Regulation of Learning and Performance, pp. 408-425. New York and London: Routledge.
- Boals A. and Banks J.B. (2020). Stress and Cognitive Functioning During a Pandemic: Thoughts from Stress Researchers. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy. Advance online publication.
- Baticulon R.E., Alberto N.R.I., Baron M.B.C., Mabulay R.E.C., Rizada L.G.T., Sy J.J., Tiu C.J.S., Clarion C.A. and Reyes J.C.B. (2020). Barriers to online learning in the time of COVID-19: A national survey of medical students in the Philippines. medRxiv, 2020.2007.2016.20155747., DOI: 10.1101/2020.07.16.2015574
- Bandura A., Adams N.E. and Beyer J. (1977). Cognitive processing mediating Behavioral change. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 35: 124-139., DOI: 10.1037//0022-35184.108.40.206
- Balzarotti S., John O.P. and Gross J.J. (2010). An Italian adaptation of the Emotion Regulation Questionnaire. European Journal of Psychological Assessment, 26: 61-67.
- Al-Rabiaah A., Temsah M.H., Al-Eyadhy A.A., Hasan G.M., Al-Zamil F., Al-Subaie S., Alsohime F., Jamal A., Alhaboob A., Al-Saadi B. and Somily A.M. (2020). Middle East Respiratory Syndrome-Corona Virus (MERS-CoV) associated stress among medical students at a university teaching hospital in Saudi Arabia. Journal of Infection and Public Health, 13(5): 687-691.
- Zittoun T. (2008). Development through transitions. European Journal of Psychology of Education, 23, 2: 165-181.
- Yip P.S., Cheung Y.T., Chau P.H. and Law Y.W. (2010). The impact of epidemic outbreak: the case of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and suicide among older adults in Hong Kong. Crisis, 31(2): 86-92.
- Wu P., Fang Y., Guan Z., Fan B., Kong J., Yao Z., Liu X., Fuller C.J., Susser E., Lu J. and Hoven C.W. (2009). The psychological impact of the SARS epidemic on hospital employees in China: exposure, risk perception, and altruistic acceptance of risk. Canadian journal of psychiatry. Revue Canadienne de Psychiatrie, 54(5): 302-311., DOI: 10.1177/07067437090540050
- World Health Organization – Constitution. -- Disponibile online: https://www.who.int/about/ who-we-are/constitution
- Wang C., Pan R., Wan X., Tan Y., Xu L., Ho C.S. and Ho R.C. (2020). Immediatepsychological responses and associated factors during the initial stage of the 2019 coronavirus disease (COVID-19) epidemic among the general population in China. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 17(5).
- Van Wel F., Linssen H. and Abma R. (2000). The parental bond and the well-being of adolescents and young adults. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 29(3): 307-318., DOI: 10.1023/A:100519562475
- Valdés-Florido M.J., López-Díaz Á., Palermo-Zeballos F.J., Martínez-Molina I., Martín-Gil V.E., Crespo-Facorro B. and Ruiz-Veguilla M. (2020). Reactive psychoses in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic: Clinical perspectives from a case series. Revista de Psiquiatria y Salud Mental, 13(2): 90-94.
- Torales J., O’Higgins M., Castaldelli-Maia J.M. and Ventriglio A. (2020). The outbreak of COVID-19 coronavirus and its impact on global mental health. The International Journal of Social Psychiatry, 66(4): 317-320., DOI: 10.1177/002076402091521
- Tang W., Hu T., Hu B., Jin C., Wang G., Xie C., Chen S. and Xu J. (2020). Prevalence and correlates of PTSD and depressive symptoms one month after the outbreak of the COVID-19 epidemic in a sample of home-quarantined Chinese university students. Journal of Affective Disorders, 274: 1-7.
Luigi Tinella, Anna Lacerenza, Concetta Papapicco, Tiziana Lanciano, Alessandro Taurino, Amedeo Stella, Antonietta Curci, Investigating the effectiveness of the university counseling service during the Covid-19 pan-demic. Preliminary data on students’ well-being in "PSICOLOGIA DELLA SALUTE" 3/2021, pp. 143-163, DOI:10.3280/PDS2021-003015