Austro-Hungarian Sarajevo - The Austro-Hungarian government of Bosnia (1878-1918) changed Sarajevo profoundly. It grew from an oriental town of 20.000 inhabitants into a modern European city of almost 52.000. This happened while it kept its Ottoman heritage intact. The Ministry of Finance in Vienna was assigned the administration of the province. Its investments in the capital included the regulation of the river and the introduction of the modern networks of water supply, sewers, electric energy and public transportation. Western-style public buildings were built in vacant lots, respecting the pre-existing ownership system. However, there continued to be no general regulative plan. Sarajevo became an active and cosmopolitan city again, but likewise remained very aware of the ethnic and religious differences of its old and new inhabitants who were going through a phase of national self-definition.