Balancing on a Tightrope: Customer Relational Capital, Value Creation and Disclosure
Titolo Rivista: FINANCIAL REPORTING
Autori/Curatori: Vivien Beattie, Robin Roslender, Sarah Jane Smith
Anno di pubblicazione:
Dimensione file: 315 KB
Il DOI è il codice a barre della proprietà intellettuale: per saperne di più:
This paper documents and compares the perceptions of key functional specialists regarding the contribution of 16 customer relational capital components to value creation and the motivations underlying its external disclosure. Findings of questionnaire surveys to samples of UK listed company marketing directors (who create customer relational capital) and finance directors (who report customer relational capital) are supplemented by follow-up interviews. Marketing directors and finance directors broadly agreed on the relevant importance of the components to value creation. While companies attempted to internally collate information on those components of most value creation importance, there was a lack of correlation between perceived value creation importance and the extent of external disclosure. This suggests that external disclosure is a poor proxy for value creation importance. In terms of disclosure incentives, marketing directors prioritise trust creation among a range of stakeholders whereas finance directors take a more share holder-centric perspective. External disclosure attracts new customers and informs other stakeholders, yet may adversely affect relationships with existing customers and/or breach specific non-disclosure agreements or generic industry restrictions and regulations. Harming competitive position is considered the major disclosure disincentive. In the view of marketing directors, managing the external disclosure of relational capital is akin to balancing on a tightrope.
Keywords: Customer relational capital; intellectual capital; value creation; marketing directors; disclosure. First submission: 28 April 2013 accepted: 10 October 2013
- Bjurstrom E. and Roberts H. (2007), The principle of connectivity: Networked assets, strategic capabilities and bundled outcomes in C. Chaminade and B. Catasus (eds), Intellectual Capital Revisited: Paradoxes in the Knowledge Intensive Organization, pp. 45-60 (Cheltenham: Edward Elgar).
- Bontis N. (2003), Intellectual capital disclosure in Canadian corporations, Journal of Human Resource Costing and Accounting, 7(1-2), pp. 9-20,, DOI: 10.1108/eb029076
- Bozzolan S., Favotto F. and Ricceri F. (2003), Italian annual intellectual capital disclosure, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 4(4), pp. 543-558,, DOI: 10.1108/14691930310504554
- Bozzolan S., O’Regan P. and Ricceri F. (2006), Intellectual capital disclosure (ICD): a comparison of Italy and the UK, Journal of Human Resource Costing and Accounting, 10(2), pp. 92-113,, DOI: 10.1108/14013380610703111
- Brennan N. (2001), Reporting intellectual capital in annual reports: evidence from Ireland, Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal, 14(4), pp. 423-436,, DOI: 10.1108/09513570110403443
- Campbell D. and Rahman M. R. A. (2010), A longitudinal examination of intellectual capital reporting in Marks and Spencer annual reports 1978-2008, British Accounting Review, 42(1), pp. 56-70,, DOI: 10.1016/j.bar.2009.11.001
- Chaminade C. and Roberts H. (2003), What it means is what it does: a comparative analysis of implementing intellectual capital in Norway and Spain, European Accounting Review, 12(4), pp. 733-751,, DOI: 10.1080/09638180310001628446
- Corsaro D. and Snehota I. (2010), Searching for Relationship Value in Business Markets: Are We Missing Something? Industrial Marketing Management, 39(6), pp. 986-995,, DOI: 10.1016/j.indmarman.2010.06.018
- Danish Agency for Trade and Industry (DATI) (2000), A Guideline for Intellectual Capital Statements: A Key to Knowledge Management. (Copenhagen: Danish Agency for Trade and Industry).
- Danish Agency for Trade and Industry (DATI) (2002), Intellectual Capital Statements in Practice: Inspiration and Good Advice. (Copenhagen: Author).
- Deloitte (2008), Marketing in 3D, available at http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_GB/uk/services/consulting/03001060261fb110VgnVCM100000ba42f00aRCRD.htm (visited 23rd September 2013).
- Edvinsson L. (1997), Developing intellectual capital at Skandia, Long Range Planning, 30(3), pp. 366-373,, DOI: 10.1016/S0024-6301(97)00016-2
- EFRAG (European Financial Reporting Advisory Group) (2010), The Role of the Business Model in Financial Reporting. Project plan. (Brussels: European Financial Reporting Advisory Group).
- Eggert A. and Helm S. (2003), Exploring the impact of relationship transparency on business relationships: a cross-sectional study among purchasing managers in Germany, Industrial Marketing Management, 32(2), pp. 101-108,, DOI: 10.1016/S0019-8501(02)00224-9
- Elliott R. K. and Jacobson P.D. (1994), Costs and benefits of business information disclosure, Accounting Horizons, 8(4), pp. 80-96.
- FASB (Financial Accounting Standards Board) (2009), Disclosure Framework, Project announcement (Norwalk, CT: Financial Accounting Standards Board).
- Gleaves R., Burton J., Kitshoff J., Bates K. and Whittington M. (2008), Accounting is from Mars, marketing is from Venus: establishing common ground for the concept of customer profitability, Journal of Marketing Management, 24(7/8), pp. 825-845,, DOI: 10.1362/026725708X345533
- Goh P. C. and Lin K. P. (2004), Disclosing intellectual capital in company annual reports. Evidence from Malaysia, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 5(3), pp. 500-510,, DOI: 10.1108/14691930410550426
- Gronroos C. (1996), Relationship marketing: strategic and tactical implications, Management Decision, 34(3), pp. 5-14,, DOI: 10.1108/00251749610113613
- Gunther T. and Beyer D. (2003), Hurdles for the voluntary disclosure of information on intangibles – empirical results for “new economy industries”, Dresden Papers of Business Administration, 71/03.
- Guthrie J. and Petty R. (2000), Intellectual capital: Australian annual reporting practices, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 1(3), pp. 241-251,, DOI: 10.1108/14691930010350800
- Guthrie J., Petty R. and Johanson U. (2001), Sunrise in the knowledge economy Managing, measuring and reporting intellectual capital, Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal, 14(4), pp. 365-384,, DOI: 10.1108/EUM0000000005869
- Guthrie J., Petty R. and Ricceri F. (2007), External Intellectual Capital Reporting: Evidence from Australia and Hong Kong (Edinburgh: Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland).
- Helm S. and Salminen R. T. (2010), Basking in reflected glory: Using customer reference relationships to build reputation in industrial markets, Industrial Marketing Management, 39(5), pp. 737-743,, DOI: 10.1016/j.indmarman.2010.02.012
- Hsu L.-C. and Wang C.-H. (2012), Clarifying the Effect of Intellectual Capital on Performance: The Mediating Role of Dynamic Capability, British Journal of Management, 23(2), pp. 179-205,, DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-8551.2010.00718.x
- Huang C. C., Luther R. and Tayles M. (2007), An evidence-based taxonomy of intellectual capital, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 8(3), pp. 386-408,, DOI: 10.1108/14691930710774830
- Hult G. T. M., Mena J. A., Ferrell O. C. and Ferrell L. (2011), Stakeholder marketing: a definition and conceptual framework, AMS Review, 1(1), pp. 44-65,, DOI: 10.1007/s13162-011-0002-5
- ICAEW (2009), Developments in New Reporting Models (London: Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales).
- IIRC (2013), Framework due out. Integrated Reporting, Consultation Draft, International Integrated Reporting Council. http://www.theiirc.org/consultationdraft2013/ (visited 23rd September 2013).
- International Accounting Standards Board (2010), IFRS Practice Statement: Management Commentary – A Framework for Presentation (London: Author) http://www.ifrs.org/NR/rdonlyres/9EA9F29A-3F34-4E39-9388-989B07563D4E/0/Managementcommentarypracticestatement8December.pdf.
- Johanson U. and Henningsson J. (2007), The archaeology of intellectual capital: a battle between concepts in C. Charminade and B. Catasus (eds), Intellectual Capital Revisited: Paradoxes in the Knowledge Intensive Organization, pp. 8-30 (Cheltenham: Edward Elgar).
- Kaplan R. S. and Norton D. P. (1992), The balanced scorecard – measures that drive performance, Harvard Business Review, 70(1), pp. 71-79.
- Lehmann D. R. (2004), Metrics for making marketing matter, Journal of Marketing, 68(4), pp. 73-75,, DOI: 10.1509/jmkg.22.214.171.124727
- Lev B. (2001), Management, Measurement and Reporting (Washington DC: Brookings Institution Press).
- Li J., Pike R. and Haniffa R. (2008), Intellectual capital disclosure and corporate governance structure in UK forms, Accounting and Business Research, 38(2), pp. 127-159.
- Malmelin N. (2007), Communication capital Modelling corporate communications as an organizational asset, Corporate Communications: An International Journal, 12(3), pp. 298-310.
- Meritum (2002), Guidelines for Managing and Reporting on Intangibles. (Madrid: Fundación Airtel Móvil.
- Mouritsen J. (1998), Driving growth: economic value added versus intellectual capital, Management Accounting Research, 9(4), pp. 461-482,, DOI: 10.1006/mare.1998.0090
- Mouritsen J., Larsen H. T. and Bukh P. N. (2001), Valuing the future: intellectual capital supplements at Skandia, Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal, 14(4), pp. 399-422,, DOI: 10.1108/09513570110403434
- Northrop A. (2010), Round Table: The Evolving Role of the Finance Director, Business Insider. Oct 8.
- O’Regan P., Kennedy T., O’Donnell D., Bontis N. and Cleary P. (2005), Exploring Intellectual Capital Practice in the Irish ICT Sector (London: CIMA).
- Peppers D. and Rogers M. (2005), Return on Customers: Creating Maximum Value from your Scarcest Resource (New York: Currency Doubleday).
- Roos G., Roos J., Edvinsson L. and Dragonetti D.C. (1998), Intellectual Capital Navigating in the New Business Landscape (New York: New York University Press).
- Roslender R. and Fincham R. (2001), Thinking critically about intellectual capital accounting, Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal, 14(4), pp. 383-399,, DOI: 10.1108/09513570110403425
- Roslender R. and Fincham R. (2004), Intellectual capital accounting in the UK. A field study perspective, Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal, 17(2), pp. 178-209,, DOI: 10.1108/09513570410532429
- Roslender R. and Wilson R. (2008), The marketing/accounting synergy: a final word but certainly not the last word, Journal of Marketing Management, 24(7/8), pp. 661-668,, DOI: 10.1362/026725708X326048
- Sheth J. N. and Parvatiyar A. (2005), Relationship marketing in consumer markets: antecedents and consequences, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Sciences, 23(4), pp. 255-271,, DOI: 10.1177/009207039502300405
- Sidhu B. K. and Roberts J. H. (2008), The marketing accounting interface – lessons and limitations, Journal of Marketing Management, 24(7/8), pp. 669-686,, DOI: 10.1362/026725708X345461
- Simsek Z., Lubatkin M. H., Veiga J. F. and Dino R. N. (2009), The role of an entrepreneurially alert information system in promoting corporate entrepreneurship, Journal of Business Research, 62(8), pp. 810-817,, DOI: 10.1016/j.jbusres.2008.03.002
- Smith N. C., Drumwright M. E. and Gentile M. C. (2010), The new marketing myopia, Journal of Public Policy and Marketing, 29(1), pp. 4-11,, DOI: 10.1509/jppm.29.1.4
- Srivastave R. K., Shervani T. A. and Fahey L. (1998), Market-based Assets and Shareholder Value: A Framework for Analysis, Journal of Marketing, 62(1), pp. 2-18,, DOI: 10.2307/1251799
- Striukova L., Unerman J. and Guthrie J. (2008), Corporate reporting of intellectual capital: Evidence from UK companies, British Accounting Review, 40(4), pp. 297-313,, DOI: 10.1016/j.bar.2008.06.001
- Su H-Y., Fang S-C. and Young C-S. (2011), Relationship transparency for partnership enhancement: an intellectual capital perspective, Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing, 26(6), pp. 456-468,, DOI: 10.1108/08858621111156449
- Sveiby K. E. (1997), The New Organizational Wealth (San Francisco, CA: Berrett-Koehler).
- Toms J. S. (2002), Firm resources, quality signals and the determinants of corporate environmental reputation: some UK evidence, British Accounting Review, 34(3), pp. 257-282,, DOI: 10.1006/bare.2002.0211
- Unerman J., Guthrie J. and Striukova L. (2007), UK Reporting of Intellectual Capital (London: ICAEW Centre for Business Performance).
- Van der Meer-Kooistra J. and Zijlstra S. M. (2001), Reporting on intellectual capital, Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal, 14(4), pp. 456-476,, DOI: 10.1108/09513570110403461
- Vandemaele S. N., Vergauwen P. G. M. C. and Smits A. J. (2005), Intellectual capital disclosure in the Netherlands, Sweden and the UK. A longitudinal and comparative study, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 6(3), pp. 417-426,, DOI: 10.1108/14691930510611148
- Venkatsen R. and Kumar V. (2004), A customer lifetime value framework for customer selection and resource allocation strategy, Journal of Marketing, 68(4), pp. 106-125,, DOI: 10.1509/jmkg.126.96.36.199728
- Vergauwen P. G. M. C. and van Alem F. J. C. (2005), Annual report IC disclosures in The Netherlands, France and Germany, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 6(1), pp. 89-104,, DOI: 10.1108/14691930510574681
- Webster F. E. (1992), The Changing Role of Marketing in the Corporation, Journal of Marketing, 56(4), pp. 1-17,, DOI: 10.2307/1251983
- Youndt M. A., Subramaniam M. and Snell S. A. (2004), Intellectual capital profiles: an examination of investments and returns, Journal of Management Studies, 41(2), pp. 335-361,, DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-6486.2004.00435.x
- Gronroos C. (1994), From marketing mix to relationship marketing: towards a paradigm shift in marketing, Management Decision, 32(2), pp. 4-20,, DOI: 10.1108/00251749410054774
- Abdolmohammadi M. J. (2005), Intellectual capital disclosure and market capitalization, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 6(3), pp. 397-416,, DOI: 10.1108/14691930510611139
- Abeysekera I. (2006), The project of intellectual capital disclosure: researching the research, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 7(1), pp. 61-77,, DOI: 10.1108/14691930610639778
- Abeysekera I. and Guthrie J. (2005), An empirical investigation of annual reporting trends of intellectual capital in Sri Lanka, Critical Perspectives on Accounting, 16(3), pp. 151-163,
- American Accounting Association (1966), A Statement of Basic Accounting Theory. (Sarasota, FL: American Accounting Association).
- April K. A., Bosma P. and Deglon D. A. (2003), IC measurement and reporting: establishing practice in SA mining, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 4(2), pp. 165-180,, DOI: 10.1108/14691930310472794
- Ashton R. H. (2005), Intellectual capital and value creation: A review, Journal of Accounting Literature, 24, pp. 53-134.
- Beattie V. (ed.) (1999), Discussion Document, Business Reporting: The Inevitable Change? (Edinburgh: Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland).
- Beattie V. and Smith S. J. (2012), Evaluating Disclosure Theory using the Views of UK Finance Directors in the Intellectual Capital Context, Accounting and Business Research, 42(5), pp. 471-494.
- Beattie V. and Thomson S. (2007), Lifting the lid on the use of content analysis to investigate intellectual capital disclosures, Accounting Forum, 31(2), pp. 129-163,, DOI: 10.1016/j.accfor.2007.02.001
- Beattie V. and Thomson S. (2010), Intellectual Capital Reporting: Academic Utopia or Corporate Reality in a Brave New World? (Edinburgh: Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland).
- Beattie V. and Thomson S. J. (2005), Intangibles and the OFR, Financial Management (UK), June, pp. 29-30.
- BIS (Department for Business Innovation and Skills) (2010), The Future of Narrative Reporting – A Consultation. London: Department for Business Innovation and Skills.
- Zimmer J.C., Arsal R., Al-Marzouq M., Moore D. and Grover V. (2010), Knowing your customers: Using a reciprocal relationship to enhance voluntary information disclosure, Decision Support Systems, 48(2), pp. 395-406,, DOI: 10.1016/j.dss.2009.10.003
- Nino SerdareviÄ‡, Ajla MuratoviÄ‡-DediÄ‡, Inela KariÄ‡, Doing Business with the State and Firmsâ€™ Growth. Grasping Invisible Relational Capital in Scientific Annals of Economics and Business /2016 pp. 415, DOI: 10.1515/saeb-2016-0131
Vivien Beattie, Robin Roslender, Sarah Jane Smith, in "FINANCIAL REPORTING" 3-4/2013, pp. 19-52, DOI:10.3280/FR2013-003003