Some Unintended Consequences of Metaphors: The Case of Capital in Intellectual Capital Research
Titolo Rivista: FINANCIAL REPORTING
Autori/Curatori: Giuseppe Marzo
Anno di pubblicazione:
Dimensione file: 255 KB
Il DOI è il codice a barre della proprietà intellettuale: per saperne di più:
The paper focuses on the consequences that the metaphorical use of the concept of capital can generate on research on Intellectual Capital. Consequences here analysed refer to: 1) the understanding of IC as being composed of homogenous and separable units; 2) those that are assets; 3) those expected to be under the proprietorship of someone; and 4) those expressible in monetary terms on the balance sheet. The analysis of consequences also offers some insights into overcoming the capital metaphor in favour of a sharper differentiation between the concepts at the basis of the traditional notion of capital, and the ones at the basis of IC.
Keywords: Metaphor; theory of firm; resource-based; view. First submission: 26 March 2013 accepted: 5 March 2014.
- Abeysekera I. (2011), The relation of intellectual capital disclosure strategies and market value in two political settings, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 12(2), pp. 319-338,, DOI: 10.1108/14691931111123449
- Aime F., Johnson S., Ridge J. W. and Hill A. D. (2010), The routine may be stable but the advantage is not: competitive implications of key employee mobility, Strategic Management Journal, 31(1), pp. 75-87,, DOI: 10.1002/smj.809
- Alcaniz L., Gomez-Bezares F. and Roslender R. (2011), Theoretical perspectives on intellectual capital: A backward look and a proposal for going forward, Accounting Forum, 35, pp. 104-117,, DOI: 10.1016/j.accfor.2011.03.004
- Al-Horani A., Pope P. F. and Stark A. W. (2003), Research and Development Activity and Expected Returns in the United Kingdom, European Finance Review, 7(1), pp. 27-46,, DOI: 10.1023/A:1022504029943
- Ambrosini V. and Bowman C. (2010), The Impact of Causal Ambiguity on Competitive Advantage and Rent Appropriation, British Journal of Management, 21, 939-953,, DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-8551.2009.00644.x
- Anagnostopoulou S. C. and Levis M. (2008), R&D and Performance Persistence: Evidence from the United Kingdom, The International Journal of Accounting, 43(3), pp. 293-320,, DOI: 10.1016/j.intacc.2008.06.004
- Andriessen D. and Van den Boom M. (2007), Asian and western intellectual capital in encounter, Proceedings of the IC-Congress, INHOLLAND University of professional education, Haarlem, The Netherlands, 3-4 May 2007.
- Andriessen D. G. (2006), On the metaphorical nature of intellectual capital: a textual analysis, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 7(1), pp. 93-110,, DOI: 10.1108/14691930610639796
- Andriessen D. G. (2008), Stuff or love; how metaphors direct our efforts to manage knowledge in organisations’, Knowledge Management Research and Practice, 6(1), pp.5-12,, DOI: 10.1057/palgrave.kmrp.8500169
- Andriessen D. G. (2004), Making Sense of Intellectual Capital. (Burlington: Elsevier Butterworth Heinemann).
- Andriessen D. G. and Stam C. D. (2011), Introduction: Intellectual capital: the future of business navigation, International Journal of Learning and Intellectual Capital, 8(1), pp. 1-4.
- Appuhami B. A. R. (2007), The impact of intellectual capital on investors’ capital gains on shares: an empirical investigation of Thai banking, finance and insurance sector, International Management Review, 3(2), pp. 14-25.
- Arenas T. and Lavanderos L. (2008), Intellectual capital: object or process?, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 9(1), pp. 77-85,, DOI: 10.1108/14691930810845812
- Arthur W. B. (1994), Increasing returns and path dependence in the economy. (Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press).
- Ashton R. H. (2005), Intellectual Capital and Value Creation: A Review, Journal of Accounting Literature, 24, pp. 53-134.
- Barney J. B. (1986), Strategic factor markets – expectations, luck, and business strategy, Management Science, 32(10), 1230-1241,, DOI: 10.1287/mnsc.32.10.1231
- Barney J. B. (2001), Is the resource-based “view” a useful perspective for strategic management research? Yes, Academy of Management Review, 26(1), pp. 41-56,, DOI: 10.5465/AMR.2001.4011938
- Baron J. (2013), Rescuing the Bundle of Rights Metaphor in Property Law, Legal Studies Research Paper Series, Research Paper No. 2013-22.
- Becker G. S. (1962), Investment in human capital: A theoretical analysis, Journal of Political Economy, 70, pp. 9-49,, DOI: 10.1086/258724
- Bismuth A. and Tojo Y. (2008), Creating value from intellectual assets, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 9(2), pp. 228-245,, DOI: 10.1108/14691930810870319
- Blyler M. and Coff R. W. (2003), Research Notes and Commentaries Dynamic Capabilities, Social Capital, and Rent Appropriation: Ties that Split Pies, Strategic Management Journal, 24(7), pp. 677-686,, DOI: 10.1002/smj.327
- Bontis N. (2001), Assessing knowledge assets: a review of the models used to measure intellectual capital, International Journal of Management Reviews, 3, pp.41-69,, DOI: 10.1111/1468-2370.00053
- Bontis N. and Choo C. W. (2002), The Strategic Management of Intellectual Capital and Organizational Knowledge. (Oxford-New York: Oxford University Press).
- Bontis N., Dragonetti N.C., Jacobsen K. and Roos G. (1999), The knowledge toolbox: a review of the tools available to measure and manage intangible resources, European Management Journal, 17, pp. 391-402,, DOI: 10.1016/S0263-2373(99)00019-5
- Bratianu C. and Andriessen D. (2008), Knowledge as energy: a metaphorical analysis, in: Proceedings of the 9th European Conference on Knowledge Management, Southampton Solent University, UK, 4-5 September 2008, pp. 75-82. (Reading: Academic Publishing).
- Brooking A. (1996), Intellectual Capital: Core Assets for the Third Millennium Enterprise. (London: Thomson Business Press).
- Caddy I. (2000), Intellectual capital: recognizing both assets and liabilities. Journal of Intellectual Capital, 1(2), pp. 120-146,, DOI: 10.1108/14691930010377469
- Cañibano L., García-Ayuso M. and Sânchez P. (2000), Accounting for Intangibles: A Literature Review, Journal of AccounitngAccounting Literature, 19, pp. 102-130.
- Carlucci D., Marr B. and Schiuma G. (2004), The knowledge value chain – how intellectual capital impacts business performance, International Journal of Technology Management, 27(6-7), pp. 575-590,, DOI: 10.1504/IJTM.2004.004903
- Carmeli A. and Tishler A. (2004), The relationships between intangible organisational elements and organisational performance, Strategic Management Journal, 25(13), pp. 1257-1278,, DOI: 10.1002/smj.428
- Catasús B. and Chaminade C. (2007), Intellectual capital: paradoxes and expansions in B. Catasús and C. Chaminade (eds), Intellectual Capital Revisited: Paradoxes in the Knowledge Intensive Organization. (Cheltenham: Edward Elgar), pp. 1-7.
- Catasús B., Ersson S., Gröjer J. E. and Wallentin F. Y. (2010), What gets measured gets… on indicating, mobilizing and acting, Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal, 20(4), pp. 505-521,, DOI: 10.1108/09513570710762566
- Choong K. K. (2008), Intellectual capital: definitions, categorization and reporting models, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 9(4), pp. 609-638,, DOI: 10.1108/14691930810913186
- Coff R. W. (2010), The Coevolution of Rent Appropriation and Capability Development, Strategic Management Journal, 31(7), pp. 711-733.
- David P. A. (1985), Clio and the economics of Qwerty., American Economic Review, 75(2), pp. 332-337.
- Dean A. and Kretschmer M. (2007), Can Ideas Be Capital? Factors of Production in the Postindustrial Economy: A Review and Critique, Academy of Management Review, 32(2), pp. 573-594,, DOI: 10.5465/AMR.2007.24351866
- Dierickx I. and Cool K. (1989), Asset stock accumulation and sustainability of competitive advantage, Management Science, 35(12), pp. 1504-1511,, DOI: 10.1287/mnsc.35.12.1514
- Donaldson T. and Preston L. E. (1995), The stakeholder theory of the corporation: concepts, evidence and implications, Academy of Management Review, 20(1), pp. 65-91,, DOI: 10.5465/AMR.1995.9503271992
- Dosi G. (1988), The sources, procedures, and microeconomic effects of innovation, Journal of Economic Literature, 26(3), pp. 1120-1171.
- Dosi G. (1994), Firm, Boundaries of the in G. M. Hodgson, W. J. Samuels and M. R. Tool (eds), The Elgar Companion to Institutional and Evolutionary Economics. (Aldershot: Edward Elgar) Vol. 1, pp. 229-237.
- Dumay J. C. (2008), Narrative disclosure of intellectual capital: A “structurational” analysis, Management Research News, 31(7), pp. 518-537,, DOI: 10.1108/01409170810876080
- Dumay J. C. (2012), Grand theories as barriers to using IC concepts, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 13(1), pp. 4-15,, DOI: 10.1108/14691931211196187
- Dumay J. and Rooney J. (2011), Measuring for managing? An IC practice case study, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 12(3), pp. 344-355,, DOI: 10.1108/14691931111154670
- Eberhart A., Maxwell W. and Siddique A. (2004), An Examination of Long-term Abnormal Stock Returns and Operating Performance following RandD Increases, Journal of Finance, 59(2), pp. 623-650,, DOI: 10.1111/j.1540-6261.2004.00644.x
- Feiwell G. R. (1975), The Intellectual capital of Michal Kalecki: a study in economic theory and policy. (Knoxville, Tenn.: University of Tennesse Press).
- Fernández E., Montes J. M. and Vázquez C. J. (2000), Typology and strategic analysis of intangible resources: A resource-based approach, Technovation, 20(2), pp. 81-92,, DOI: 10.1016/S0166-4972(99)00115-7
- Ferraro F., Pfeffer J., Sutton R. I., (2005), Economics language and assumptions: How theories can become self-fulfilling, Academy of Management Review, 30(1), pp. 8-24,, DOI: 10.5465/AMR.2005.15281412
- Foss K. and Foss N. J. (2005), Resources and transaction costs: how property rights economics furthers the resource-based view, Strategic Management Journal, 26, pp. 541-553,, DOI: 10.1002/smj.465
- Foss N. J. (1993), Theories of the firm: Contractual and competence perspectives, Journal of Evolutionary Economics, 3(2), pp. 127-144,, DOI: 10.1007/BF01213830
- Foss N. J. (1998), The competence-based approach: Veblenian ideas in the modern theory of the firm, Cambridge Journal of Economics, 22(4), pp. 479-495,, DOI: 10.1093/oxfordjournals.cje.a013730
- Fransman M. (1994), Information, knowledge, vision and theories of the firm, Industrial and Corporate Change, 33, pp. 713-757,, DOI: 10.1093/icc/3.3.713
- Gadamar H. G. (1975), Truth and Method. (London: Sheed and Ward).
- Galbraith J. K. (1967), The New Industrial State. (Boston: Houghton Mifflin).
- Gentner D. (1989), The mechanisms of analogical reasoning in S. Vosniadou and A. Ortony (eds), Similarity and Analogical Reasoning. (New York: Cambridge University Press) pp. 199-241,, DOI: 10.1017/CBO9780511529863.011
- Giddens A. (1987), Social Theory and Modern Sociology. (Cambridge: Polity Press).
- Gowthorpe C. (2009), Wider still and wider? A critical discussion of intellectual capital recognition, measurement and control in a boundary theoretical context, Critical Perspectives on Accounting, 20, pp. 823-834,, DOI: 10.1016/j.cpa.2008.09.005
- Grant R. M. (1996), Prospering in dynamically-competitive environments: Organizational capability as knowledge integration, Organization Science, 7(4), pp. 375-387,, DOI: 10.1287/orsc.7.4.375
- Green A. (2007), Intangible assets in plain business language, VINE, 37(3), pp. 238-48,, DOI: 10.1108/03055720710825564
- Grindley P. C. and Teece D. J. (1997), Managing Intellectual Capital: Licensing and Cross-Licensing in Semiconductors and Electronics, California Management Review, 39(2), pp. 8-41,, DOI: 10.2307/41165885
- Guthrie J. (2001), The management, measurement and the reporting of intellectual capital, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 2, pp. 27-41,, DOI: 10.1108/14691930110380473
- Guthrie J., Petty R., Yongvanich K. and Ricceri F. (2004), Using Content Analysis as a Research Method to Inquire into Intellectual Capital Reporting, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 5(2), pp. 282-293,, DOI: 10.1108/14691930410533704
- Guthrie J., Petty R., Ferrier F. and Wells R. (1999), There is no Accounting for Intellectual Capital in Australia: A review of annual reporting practices and the internal measurement of intangibles, paper presented at the International Symposium Measuring and Reporting Intellectual Capital: Experiences, Issues and Prospects, OECD, Amsterdam, June.
- Guthrie J., Ricceri F. and Dumay J. (2012), Reflections and projections: a decade of intellectual capital accounting research, British Accounting Review, 44(2), pp. 68-82,, DOI: 10.1016/j.bar.2012.03.004
- Hart O. (1995), Firms, contracts, and financial structure. (Oxford: Clarendon Press), DOI: 10.1093/0198288816.001.0001
- Herremans I. M. and Isaac R. G. (2004), The Intellectual Capital Realization Process (ICRP): An Application of the Resource-based View of the Firm, Journal of Managerial Issues, XVI(2), pp. 217-231.
- Herremans I. M., Isaac R. and Bays A. (2007), Tracing intellectual capital cash flows, Research executive summaries series, CIMA, 3(2).
- Heyne D. (1991), The Economic Way of Thinking. (London: Macmillan).
- Hodgson G. M. (1998), Competence and contract in the theory of the firm, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 35(2), pp. 179-201,, DOI: 10.1016/S0167-2681(98)00053-5
- Hussi T. and Ahonen G. (2002), Managing intangible assets – A question of integration and delicate balance. Journal of Intellectual Capital, 3(3), pp. 277-286,, DOI: 10.1108/14691930210435615
- Husted K., Gammelgaard J. and Michailova S. (2005), Knowledge-sharing behaviour and postacquisition integration failure in A. F. Buono and F. Poulfelt (eds), Challenges and Issues in Knowledge Management Charlotte. (NC: Information Age Publishing) pp. 209-226.
- International Accounting Standards Board – IASB (2009), Intangible assets. International Accounting Standards No. 38. London (revised).
- Johnson W. H. A. (1999), An integrative taxonomy of intellectual capital: measuring the stock and flow of intellectual capital components in the firm, International Journal of Technology Management, 18(5-8), pp. 562-575,, DOI: 10.1504/IJTM.1999.002788
- Junni P. and Sarala R. M. (2011), Causal ambiguity, cultural integration and partner attractiveness as determinants of knowledge transfer: evidence from Finnish acquisitions, European Journal of International Management, 5(4), pp. 346-372,, DOI: 10.1504/EJIM.2011.040910
- Kamath G. B. (2008), Intellectual capital and corporate performance in Indian pharmaceutical industry, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 9(4), pp. 684-704,, DOI: 10.1108/14691930810913221
- Kaplan R. S. and Norton D. P. (1992), The balanced scorecard measures that drive performance, Harvard Business Review, January-February, pp. 71-79.
- Kaufmann L. and Schneider Y. (2004), Intangibles: a synthesis of current research, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 5(3), pp. 366-388,, DOI: 10.1108/14691930410550354
- Kianto A. (2007), What do we really mean by the dynamic dimension of intellectual capital?, International Journal of Learning and Intellectual Capital, 4(4), pp. 342-356,, DOI: 10.1504/IJLIC.2007.016332
- Kim J. and Mahoney J. T. (2006), How property rights economics furthers the resource-based view: Resources, transactions costs and entrepreneurial discovery, International Journal of Strategic Change Management, 1, pp. 40-52,, DOI: 10.1504/IJSCM.2006.011100
- Knight F. H. (1921), Risk, Uncertainty and Profit. (New York: Houghton Mifflin).
- Lakoff G. and Johnson M. (1980), Metaphors We Live by. (Chicago: The University of Chicago Press).
- Lakoff G. and Turner M. (1989), More than Cool Reason. (Chicago-London: The University of Chicago Press), DOI: 10.7208/chicago/9780226470986.001.0001
- Lazonick W. (1994), The integration of theory and history: Methodology and ideology in Schumpeter’s economics in L. Magnusson (ed), Evolutionary and Neo-Schumpeterian Approaches to Economics. (Boston, MA: Kluwer) pp. 245-263,, DOI: 10.1007/978-0-585-35155-1_9
- Leonard-Barton D. (1992), Core capabilities and core rigidities: a paradox in managing new product development, Strategic Management Journal, 13, pp. 111-125,, DOI: 10.1002/smj.4250131009
- Lerro A. and Schiuma G. (2013), Intellectual capital assessment practices: overview and managerial implications, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 14(3), pp. 352-359,, DOI: 10.1108/JIC-03-2013-0041
- Lev B. (2001), Intangibles: Management, Measurement, and Reporting. (Washington, DC: The Brookings Institution).
- Lev B., Cañibano L. and Marr B. (2005), An Accounting Perspective on Intellectual Capital in B. Marr (ed), Perspectives on Intellectual Capital. (Oxford), pp. 42-55,, DOI: 10.1016/B978-0-7506-7799-8.50008-5
- Lev B. and Sougiannis T. (1996), The Capitalization, Amortization and Value-relevance of RandD, Journal of Accounting and Economics, 21(1), pp. 107-138,, DOI: 10.1016/0165-4101(95)00410-6
- Lev B., Zarowin P. (1999), The Boundaries of Financial Reporting and How to Extend Them, Journal of Accounting Research, 37, pp. 353-385,, DOI: 10.2307/2491413
- Lev B., Radhakrishnan S. and Zhang W. (2009), Organization Capital, Abacus, 45(3), pp. 275-298,, DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-6281.2009.00289.x
- Lewin A. Y., Long C. P. and Carroll T. N. (1999), The Coevolution of New Organizational Forms, Organization Science, 10(5), pp. 535-550,, DOI: 10.1287/orsc.10.5.535
- Llewelyn S. (2003), What counts as “theory” in qualitative management and accounting research? Introducing five levels of theorizing, Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal, 16(4), pp. 662-708,, DOI: 10.1108/09513570310492344
- Lusch R. F. and Harvey M. G. (1999), Balancing the intellectual capital books: intangible liabilities, European Management Journal, 17(1), pp. 85-92,, DOI: 10.1016/S0263-2373(98)00065-6
- Lynn B. (1998), The management of intellectual capital: the issues and the practice. (The Society of Management Accountants of Canada, Hamilton, Ontario).
- Mahoney J. T. and Pandian J. R. (1992), The Resource-Based View Within the Conversation of Strategic Management, Strategic Management Journal, 13(5), pp. 363-380,, DOI: 10.1002/smj.4250130505
- Molodchik M., Shakina E. and Bykova A. (2013), Intellectual capital transformation evaluating model, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 13(4), pp. 444-461,, DOI: 10.1108/14691931211276089
- Marr B. (ed) (2005), Perspectives on Intellectual Capital (Boston: Elsevier Butterworth Heinemann).
- Marr B. and Chatzkel J. (2004), Intellectual capital at the crossroads, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 5(2), pp. 224-229,, DOI: 10.1108/14691930410533650
- Marr B., Schiuma G. and Neely A. (2004), The dynamics of value creation: mapping your intellectual performance drivers, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 5(2), pp. 312-325,, DOI: 10.1108/14691930410533722
- Marzo G. (2011), Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde in the Management of Intangibles, Paper presented at The 7th Interdisciplinary Workshop On “Intangibles, Intellectual Capital and Extra-Financial Information, Warsaw, Poland, September 29-30, 2011. Downloadable at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1926633.
- Marzo G. (2013), The market-to-book value gap and the accounting fallacy, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 14(4), pp. 564-581,, DOI: 10.1108/JIC-10-2012-0094
- Marzo G. (2014), Improving internal consistency in IC research and practice: IC and the theory of the firm, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 15(1) (forthcoming),, DOI: 10.1108/JIC-03-2013-0026
- Mitchell van der Zahn J.-L.W., Singh I. and Heniro J. (2007), Is there an association between intellectual capital disclosure, underpricing and long-run performance?, Journal of Human Resource Costing and Accounting, 11(3), pp. 178-213,, DOI: 10.1108/14013380710843773
- Moldaschl M. and Fischer D. (2004), Beyond the Management View, Management Revue, 15(1), pp. 122-151.
- Mouritsen J., Larsen H. T. and Bukh P. N. D. (2001a), Valuing the future: intellectual capital supplements at Skandia, Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal, 14(4), pp. 399-422,, DOI: 10.1108/09513570110403434
- Mouritsen J., Larsen H. T. and Bukh P. N. D. (2001b), Intellectual capital and the ‘capable firm’: narrating, visualising and numbering for managing knowledge, Accounting, Organizations and Society, 26(7-8), pp. 735-62,, DOI: 10.1016/S0361-3682(01)00022-8
- Mouritsen J. and Roslender R. (2009), Critical intellectual capital, Critical Perspectives on Accounting, 20(7), pp. 801-803,, DOI: 10.1016/j.cpa.2009.08.004
- Nassau W. Snr. (1836), An Outline of the Science of Political Economy. (London: George Allen and Unwin).
- Nonaka I. and Takeuchi H. (1995), The Knowledge-Creating Company: How Japanese companies create the dynamics of innovation. (New York: Oxford University Press).
- Onida P. (1971), Economia d’azienda. (Torino: Utet).
- Penman S. H. (2009), Accounting for Intangible Assets: There is Also an Income Statement, Center for Excellence in Accounting and security Analysis. (New York: Columbia Business School).
- Penman S. H. (2011), Accounting for value. (New York: Columbia Business School).
- Petty R. and Guthrie J. (2000), Intellectual capital literature review, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 1, pp. 155-176,, DOI: 10.1108/14691930010348731
- Powell T. C. (1995), Total Quality Management as Competitive Advantage: A Review and Empirical Study, Strategic Management Journal, 16(1), pp. 15-37,, DOI: 10.1002/smj.4250160105
- Prahalad C. K. and Hamel G. (1990), The core competences of the corporation, Harvard Business Review, 68, May-June, pp. 79-91.
- Rechberg I. and Syed J. (2013), Ethical issues in knowledge management: conflict of knowledge ownership, Journal of Knowledge Management, 17(6), pp. 828-847.
- Reed K. K., Lubatkin M. and Srinivasan N. (2006), Proposing and Testing an Intellectual Capital-Based View of the Firm, Journal of Management Studies, 43(4), pp. 867-893,, DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-6486.2006.00614.x
- Riahi-Belkaoui A. (2003), Intellectual capital and firm performance of US multinational firms: A study of the resource-based and stakeholder views, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 4(2), pp. 215-226,, DOI: 10.1108/14691930310472839
- Romer P. (1990), Endogenous technological change, Journal of Political Economy, 98(5), pp. S71-S102,, DOI: 10.1086/261725
- Roos J., Roos G., Dragonetti G. C., Dragonetti N. C. and Edvinsson L. (1997), Intellectual Capital: Navigating in the New Business Landscape. (London: Macmillan).
- Roslender R. and Fincham R. (2001), Thinking critically about intellectual capital accounting, Accounting, Auditing and Accountability Journal, 14(4), pp. 383-398,, DOI: 10.1108/09513570110403425
- Roslender R. and Fincham R. (2004), Intellectual capital: Who counts, controls?, Accounting and the Public Interest, 4, pp. 1-23,, DOI: 10.2308/api.2004.4.1.1
- Samaniego R. M. (2013), Knowledge spillovers and intellectual property rights, International Journal of Industrial Organization, 31, pp. 50-63,, DOI: 10.1016/j.ijindorg.2012.11.001
- Schiuma G., Lerro A. and Sanitate D. (2008), Intellectual capital dimensions of Ducati’s turnaround – exploring knowledge assets grounding a change management program, International Journal of Innovation Management, 12(2), pp. 161-193,, DOI: 10.1142/S1363919608001935
- Schreyöegg G. and Kliesch-Eberl M. (2007), How dynamic can organizational capabilities be? Towards a dual-process model of capability dynamization, Strategic Management Journal, 28(9), pp. 913-933,, DOI: 10.1002/smj.613
- Schultz T. (1961), Investment in human capital, American Economic Review, 51, pp. 1-17.
- Schulze W. (1994), The two schools of thought in resource-based theory, Advances in Strategic Management, 10, pp. 127-152.
- Simonin B. L. (2004), An empirical investigation of the process of knowledge transfer in international strategic alliances, Journal of International Business Studies, 35(5), pp. 407-427,, DOI: 10.1057/palgrave.jibs.8400091
- Sougiannis T. (1994), The Accounting Based Valuation of Corporate R&D, The Accounting Review, 69(1), pp. 44-68.
- Stam C. D. (2009), Intellectual liabilities: lessons from The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 39(1), pp. 92-104.
- Stewart T. A. and Kirsch S. (1991), Brain Power – How Intellectual Capital Is Becoming America’s Most Valuable Asset, Fortune, June 3.
- Stewart T. A. (2001), The Wealth of Knowledge: Intellectual Capital and the Twenty-First Century Organization. (New York: Doubleday/Currency).
- St-Pierre J. and Audet J. (2011), Intangible assets and performance. Analysis on manufacturing SMEs, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 12(2), pp. 202-223,, DOI: 10.1108/14691931111123395
- Sveiby K. E. (1997), The New Organisational Wealth: Managing and measuring knowledge based assets. (San Francisco: Berrett Kochler Publisher).
- Sveiby K. E. (2010), Methods for measuring intangible assets, available at: www.sveiby.com/articles/IntangibleMethods.htm (accessed 01 February 2013).
- Sveiby K. E. (2001), A knowledge-based theory of the firm to guide in strategy formulation, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 2(4), pp. 344-358.
- Szulanski G. (1996), Exploring internal stickiness: Impediments to the transfer of best practice within the firm, Strategic Management Journal, 17, pp. 27-43,, DOI: 10.1287/orsc.1040.0096
- Szulanski G., Cappetta R. and Jensen R. J. (2004), When and how trustworthiness matters: knowledge transfer and the moderating effect of causal ambiguity, Organization Science, 15(5), pp. 600-613.
- Teece D. J. and Pisano G. (1994), The dynamic capabilities of firms: An introduction, Industrial and Corporate Change, 3(3), pp. 537-556,, DOI: 10.1093/icc/3.3.537-a
- Teece D. J., Pisano G. and Shuen A. (1997), Firm capabilities, resources and the concept of strategy, Economic Analysis and Policy Working Paper EAP-38. Institute of Management, Innovation and Organization, University of California.
- Upton W. S. (2001), Business and Financial Reporting, Challenges from the New Economy (Vol. 219-A), Financial Accounting Series, Financial Accounting Standards Board.
- Vargo S. L. and Lusch R. (2004), Evolving to a new dominant logic for marketing. Journal of Marketing, 68(1), pp. 1-17,, DOI: 10.1509/jmkg.18.104.22.16836
- Walsh J. P. (1988), Selectivity and selective perception – an investigation of managers belief structures and information-processing, Academy of Management Journal, 31(4), pp. 873-896,, DOI: 10.2307/256343
- Webster E. (1999), The Economics of Intangible Investment. (Cheltenham: Edward Elgar).
- Wernerfelt B. (1984), A resource-based view of the firm, Strategic Management Journal, 5, pp. 171-180,, DOI: 10.1002/smj.4250050207
- Winter S. G., Szulanski G., Ringov D. and Jensen R. J. (2011), Reproducing Knowledge: Inaccurate Replication and Failure in Franchise Organizations, Organization Science, 23(3), pp. 672-685,, DOI: 10.1287/orsc.1110.0663
- Wyatt A. (2002), Accounting for Intangibles: The Great Divide Between Obscurity in Innovation Activities and the Balance Sheet, Singapore Economic Review, 42(1), pp. 83-117.
- Yu A. and Humphreys P. (2013), From measuring to learning? – Probing the evolutionary path of IC research and practice, Journal of Intellectual Capital, 14(1), pp. 26-47,, DOI: 10.1108/14691931311289002
- Zambon S. (ed), (2003), Study on the Measurement of Intangible Assets and Associated Reporting Practices, prepared for the Commission Of The European Communities Enterprise Directorate General.
- Zappa G. (1956), Le produzioni nell’economia delle imprese. Tomo I. (Milano: Giuffrè).
- Zéghal D. and Maaloul A. (2011), The accounting treatment of intangibles – A critical review of the literature, Accounting Forum, 35, pp. 262-274,, DOI: 10.1016/j.accfor.2011.04.003
- Zingales L. (2008), Corporate Governance in S. N. Durlauf and L. E. Blume (eds), The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics,, DOI: 10.1057/9780230226203.0323
Giuseppe Marzo, in "FINANCIAL REPORTING" 3-4/2013, pp. 111-140, DOI:10.3280/FR2013-003006