The psychological consequences of voluntary abortion after the third month of pregnancy. A clinical experience between post abortion therapy and emotional support therapy
Journal Title: RIVISTA SPERIMENTALE DI FRENIATRIA
Author/s: Cinzia Baccaglini
FullText PDF: 119 KB
(DOI is like a bar code for intellectual property: to have more infomation:
-  Gius E, Cavanna D. Maternità negata. Ricerca su vissuti ed atteggiamenti nell’interruzione di gravidanza. Milano: Giuffrè Editore; 1988.
-  Cantelmi T, Cacace C, Pittino E. Maternità interrotte. Le conseguenze psichiche dell’IVG. Roma: San Paolo Editore; 2011.
-  American Psychiatric Association. Report of the APA task force on mental health and abortion; 13/8/2008.
-  Coleman PK. Abortion and mental health: quantitative synthesis and analysis of research published 1995-2009. British Journal of Psychiatry 2011; 199:180-86.
-  Gilchrist AC, Hannaford PC, Frank P, Kay C. Termination of pregnancy and psychiatric morbidity. British Journal of Psychiatry 1995;167:243-8.
-  Zabin LS, Hirsch MB, Emerson MR. When urban adolescents choose abortion: effects on education, psychological status and subsequent pregnancy. Family Planning Perspectives 1989; 21(6):248-55.
-  Eisen M, Zellman GL. Factors predicting pregnancy resolution decision satisfaction of unmarried adolescents. The Journal of General Psychology 1984; 145(2):231-9.
-  Cohan CL, Dunkel-Schetter C, Lydon J. Pregnancy decision making: predictors of early stress and adjustment. Psychologic Women of Quarterly 1993;17:223-39.
-  Athanasiou R, Oppel W, Michelson L, Unger T, Yager M. Psychiatric sequelae to term birth and induced early and late abortion: a longitudinal study. Family Planning Perspectives 1973; 5(4):227-31.
-  Major B, Cozzarelli C, Cooper ML, Zubek J, Richards C, Wilhite M, Gramzow RH. Psychological responses of women after rst-trimester abortion. Archives of General Psychiatry 2000; 57:777-84.
-  Bradshaw Z, Slade P. The effects of induced abortion on emotional experiences and relationships: a critical review of the literature. Clinical Psychology Review 2003; 23:929-58.
-  Perrin E, Bianchi-Demicheli F. Sexual life, future of the couple, and contraception after voluntary pregnancy termination. Prospective study in Geneva (Switzerland) with 103 women. Revue Medical de la Suisse Romande 2002; 122:257-60.
-  Broen AN, Moum T, Bodtker AS, Ekeberg O. Psychological impact on women of miscarriage versus induced abortion: a 2-year follow-up study. Psychosomatic Medicine 2004; 66:265-71.
-  Broen AN, Moum T, Bodtker AS, Ekeberg O. The course of mental health after miscarriage and induced abortion: a longitudinal, ve-year follow-up study. BioMed Central Medicine 2005; 3(1):18.
-  Cougle JR, Reardon DC, Coleman PK. Generalized anxiety following unintended pregnancies resolved through childbirth and abortion: a cohort study of the 1995 National Survey of Family Growth. Anxiety Disorders 2005; 19:137-42.
-  Reardon DC, Cougle JR. Depression and unintended pregnancy in the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth: a cohort study. British Medical Journal 2002; 324:151-2.
-  Gissler M, Berg C, Bouvier-Colle MH, Buekens P. Pregnancy-associated mortality after birth, spontaneous abortion or induced abortion in Finland, 1987-2000. American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 2004; 190:422-27.
-  Reardon DC, Ney PG , Scheuren FJ, Cougle JR, Coleman, PK, Strahan T. Deaths associated with pregnancy outcome: a record linkage study of low income women. Southern Medical Journal August 2002; 95(8):834-41.
-  Horon IL. Underreporting of maternal deaths on death certicates and the magnitude of the problem of maternal mortality. American Journal of Public Health 2005; 95(3):478-82.
-  Gissler M, Hemminki E, Lonnqvist J. Suicides after pregnancy in Finland: 1987-94 register linkage study. British Medical Journal 1996; 313:1431-4.
-  Reardon DC, Cougle JR, Rue VM, Shuping MW, Colean PK, Ney PG. Psychiatric admissions of low-income women following abortion and childbirth. Canadian Medical Association Journal 2003; 168(10):1253-6.
-  Speckhard A, Rue VM. Postabortion sindrome: an emergine public health concern. Journal of Social Issues 1992; 48:95-120.
-  Reardon DC, Ney PG. Abortion and subsequent susbtance abuse. American Journal of Drug alcohol Abuse 2000; (2) 26: 61-75.
-  Husfeldt C, Hansen SK, Lyngberg A, Noddebo M, Petterson B. Ambivalence among women applying for abortion. Acta Ostetricia et Ginecologia Scandinavica 1995; 74: 813-17.
-  Major B, Cozzarelli C. Psychological predictors of adjustment to abortion. Journal of Social Issues 1992; 48:121-42.
-  Fergusson DM, Horwood LJ, Ridder EM. Abortion in young women and subsequent mental health. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 2006; 47(1): 16-24.
-  Fok WY, Siu SS, Lau TK. Sexual dysfunction after a rst trimester induced abortion in a Chinese population. European Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology Reproduction Biology 2006; 126(2):255-8.
-  Bianchi-Demicheli F, Perrin E, Ludicke F, Bianchi PG, Chatton D, Campana A. Termination of pregnancy and women’s sexuality. Gynecology Obstetric Investigation 2002; 53(1):48-53.
-  Boesen HC, Rorbye C, Norgaard M, Nilas L. Sexual behavior during the rst eight weeks after legal termination of pregnancy. Acta Obstetricia Gynecologica Scandinavica 2004; (12):1189-92.
-  Bianchi-Demicheli F, Perrin E, Ludicke F, Campana A. Contraception and sexuality after termination of pregnancy: a comparison between Lugano and Geneva. Swiss Medical Weekly 2001; 131(35-36):515-20.
-  Casadei D. Aborto volontario:il domani di una scelta. Il giornale italiano di psicologia e di educazione prenatale 2010; 20: 9-13.
-  Di Giusto M, Lazzari R, Giorgetti T, Paesano R, Pachi A. Psychological aspects of therapeutic abortion after early prenatal diagnosis. Clinical & Experimental Obstetrics & Gynecology 1991; 18 (3):169-73.
-  Rimm AA, Katayama AC, Diaz M, Katayama KP. A meta-analysis of controller studies major malformation rates in IVF and ICSI with naturally conceived children. Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics 2004; Dec; 21(12): 437-43.
-  Bonduelle M, Ponjaert I, Steirteghem AI, Derde MP, Devroey P, Liebaers I. Developmental outcome at 2 years of age for children born after ICSI compared with children born after IVF. Human Reproduction 2003; (2): 342-50.
-  Schieve LA. Are children born after assisted reproductive technology at increased risk for adverse health outcomes?, Obstetrics & Gynecology 2004;103:1154–63.
-  Mounic C, Moron P. Psychological aspects of induced abortion. Psychological Medicine 1982; 14(8): 1181-5.
-  Kersting A, Kroker K, Steinhard J, Hoernig-FranzI, Wesselmann U, Luedorff K, et al. Psychological impact on women after second and third trimester termination of pregnancy due to fetal anomalies versus women after preterm birth – a 14 month follow up study. Archives of Women’s Mental Health, 2009;12(4):193-201.
-  White-Van Mourik MC, Connor JM, Ferguson-Smith MA. The psychosocial sequelae of a second trimester termination of pregnancy for fetal abnormality. Prenatal Diagnosis 1992; 12:189-204.
-  Testo di legge L. 22 maggio 1978, n. 194 - Norme per la tutela sociale della maternità e sull’interruzione volontaria della gravidanza. G.U. di pubblicazione: 22 maggio 1978, n.140
-  Davies V, Gledhill J, McFadyen A, Whitlow B, Economides D. Psychological outcome in women undergoing termination of pregnancy for ultrasounddetected anomaly in the rst and second trimesters: a pilot study, Ultrasound Obstetric and Ginecology 2005; 25(4):389-92.
-  Chalana H, Sachdeva JK. A study of psychiatric morbidity during second trimester of pregnancy subsequent to abortion in the previous pregnancy, Asian Journal of Psychiatry 2012; 5(3):215-9.
-  Decreto del Presidente della Repubblica 10 settembre 1990, n. 285. Approvazione del regolamento di polizia mortuaria. (GU n.239 del 12-10-1990 - Suppl. Ordinario n. 63 ).
-  Kaltreider NB, Goldsmith S, Margolis AJ. The impact of midtrimester abortion techniques on patients and staff, American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 1979;135(2):235-8.
-  Noia G, Pietrangeli S, Paluzzi C, Bellieni C, Cavoni C, Losito M, et al. La terapia dell’accoglienza. Roma: IF Press edizioni; 2010.
Cinzia Baccaglini, The psychological consequences of voluntary abortion after the third month of pregnancy. A clinical experience between post abortion therapy and emotional support therapy in "RIVISTA SPERIMENTALE DI FRENIATRIA" 3/2014, pp. 55-66, DOI:10.3280/RSF2014-003005