The evolution of fundraising in the Italian non profit context: The "Lega del Filo d’Oro" case
Journal Title: MERCATI & COMPETITIVITÀ
Author/s: Alex Bizzarri, Silvio Cardinali, Antonio Picciotti, Gian Luca Gregori
FullText PDF: 151 KB
(DOI is like a bar code for intellectual property: to have more infomation:
The discipline of fundraising sees increasing attention from the scholars due to the worldwide growing of the nonprofit sector and the subsequent competition for private funds. Despite that, many of the studies on fundraising are still limited to the Anglo-Saxon context. This paper thus aims to examine how an organization carry out its fundraising activities in a context where fundraising does not represent the routine procedure for the vast majority of the players. The proper implementation of fundraising can substantially contributes to the organizational success of a non-profit organization. The purpose of this paper is to investigate whether and how the fundraising activities have been carried out and which are the stages of evolution crossed by a proficient charity in a Latin context. This study was conducted by using a qualitative methodology; helped by semi-structured interview to the fundraising managers of the organization. The findings showed how the development of fundraising practices has been pushed by international organizations leading to an increasing isomorphism reflected by the phases of fundraising evolution crossed which resemble those highlighted in literature. Recommendations for future advancement in research are made as well as management implications.
Keywords: Fundraising, nonprofit, marketing, nonprofit management, third sector.
- Alexander J.A., Weiner B.J. (1998). The Adoption of the Corporate Governance Model by Nonprofit Organizations. Nonprofit Management and Leadership, 8: 223-242.
- Andreasen A.R. & Kotler P. (2008). Strategic marketing for nonprofit organizations. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- Andreoni J. (1998). Toward a theory of charitable fund-raising. Journal of Political Economy, 106 (6): 1186-1213.
- Bekkers R., Wiepking P. (2010). A literature review of empirical studies of philanthropy: Eight mechanisms that drive charitable giving. Nonprofit and voluntary sector quarterly.
- Bennett R. (2003). Factor underlying the inclination to donate to particular types of charity. International journal of nonprofit and voluntary sector marketing.
- Bennett R. (2005). Competitive environment, market orientation and the use of relational approaches to the marketing of charity beneficiary services. Journal of service marketing, 19(7): 453-469.
- Bennett R. (2007). The use of marketing metrics by British fundraising charities: a survey of current practice. Journal of marketing management, 23(9-10): 959-989.
- Bode I. (2003). Flexible Response in Changing Environments: The German Third Sector Model in Transition. Nonprofit and voluntary sector quarterly, 32(2): 190-210.
- Bradshaw P., Murray V., Wolpin H. (1992). Do nonprofit boards make a difference? An exploration of the relationship among board structure, process and effectiveness. Nonprofit and voluntary sector quarterly.
- Brady E., Brace-Govan J., Brennan L. & Conduit J. (2010). Market Orienation and Suggestions for Fundraising: Indicators from Victoria. International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing, 16: 84-98.
- Brooks A.C. (2004). Evaluating the Effectiveness of Nonprofit Fundraising. The Policy Studies Journal, 32(3): 363-373.
- Brown W.A. (2005). Exploring the association between board and organizational performance in nonprofit organizations. Nonprofit management & leadership.
- Bryant W.K., Jeon-Slaughter H., Kang H., Tax A. (2003). Participation in philanthropic activities: donating money and time. Journal of Consumer Policy, 26: 43-73.
- ˇCaˇcija L.N. (2013). Fundraising in the context of nonprofit strategic marketing: toward a conceptual model. Management, 18(1): 59-78.
- ˇCaˇcija L.N. (2014). Preliminary empirical analysis of the relationship between marketing activities and fundraising success in nonprofit organizations. Management, 19(2): 137-155.
- Chad P. (2014). Organizational change within charities: improved performance via introduction of market orientation and other strategic orientations. International review on public and non profit marketing, 11: 89-113.
- Dolnicar S., Irvine H. and Lazarevski K. (2008). Mission or Money? Competitive challenges facing public sector nonprofit organizations in an institutionalized environment. International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing, 13: 107-117.
- Dolnicar S., Lazarevski K. (2009). Marketing in non-profit organizations: an international perspective. International Marketing Review, 26(3): 275-291.
- Eikenberry A.M., Kluver J.D. (2004). The marketization of the nonprofit sector: civil society at risk? Public Administration Review, 64(2): 132-140.
- Eisenhardt K.M. (1989). Building theory from case study research. The Academy of Management Review, 14(4): 532-550.
- Eisenhardt K.M., Graebner M.E. (2007). Theory building from cases: Opportunities and challenges. Academy of Management Journal, 50(1): 25-32.
- Fayolle A., Gailly B. & Lassas-Clerc N. (2006). Assessing the impact of entrepreneurship education programs: a new methodology. Journal of European Industrial Training, 30(9): 701-720.
- Goerke J. (2003). Taking the quantum leap: nonprofits are now in business. An Australian perspective. International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing, 8: 317-327.
- Gonzales L., Vijante M., Casielles R. (2002). The market orientation concept in the private nonprofit organization domain. International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing, 7: 55-67.
- Green J.C., Griesinger D.W. (1996). Board performance and organizational effectiveness in nonprofit social service organizations. Nonprofit management & leadership.
- Hager M. Rooney P. & Pollak T. (2002) “How fundraising is carried out in US nonprofit organizations” International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing, 7 (4), 311-324
- Hart T., Greenfield J.M. & Johnston M. (2005). Nonprofit internet strategies: best practices for marketing, communications and fundraising success. John Wiley & Sons.
- Heinzel H. (2004). Philanthropy and fundraising in Western Europe within a framework of change. New direction for philanthropic fundraising.
- Helmig B., Jegers M., Lapsey I. (2004). Challenges in managing nonprofit organizations: a research overview. Voluntas: International journal of voluntary and non profit organizations, 15(2): 101-116.
- Herman R.D., Renz D.O. (1998). Nonprofit organizational effectiveness: contrasts between especially effective and less effective organizations. Nonprofit management & leadership, 9(1): 23-38.
- Herman R.D., Renz D.O. (2008). Advancing nonprofit organizational effectiveness research and theory: nine theses. Nonprofit management & leadership, 18(4): 399-415.
- Hodgkinson V.A. (1999). Defining the Nonprofit Sector Cross-Nationally. Nonprofit Management & leadership, 10(2): 209-214.
- Joyaux S.P. (2011). Keep your donors: The guide to better communications & stronger relationships. John Wiley & sons.
- Kay-Williams S. (2000). The five stages of fundraising: A framework for the development of fundraising. International Journal of Nonprofit and voluntary sector marketing, 5(3): 220-240.
- Khare V.P. (2011). NPOs Marketing Practices in the USA and France: Differences and Success Factors. Journal of Marketing Development and Competitiveness, 5(3): 110-116.
- Lee S.M.D., Markham P. (2015). Fundraising-Related Market Orientation among Non-Profit Organizations in Hong Kong: A Literature Review and Research Agenda. Honk Kong Community College, Working Paper Series No.7, Issue 3.
- Liket K.C., Maas K. (2015). Nonprofit Organizational Effectiveness: Analysis of Best Practices. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 44(2): 268-296.
- Mancino A., Thomas A. (2005). An Italian pattern of social enterprise: The social cooperative. Nonprofit Management and Leadership, 15(3): 357-369.
- McDonald C. (1999). Internal Control and Accountability in non-profit human service organizations. Australian Journal of Public Administration, 58(1): 11-22.
- Melandri V. (2012). Manuale di Fundraising. Fare raccolta fondi nelle organizzazioni non profit e negli enti pubblici. Maggioli Editore.
- Modi P., Mishra D. (2010). Conceptualizing market orientation in non-profit organizations: definition, performance, and preliminary construction of a scale. Journal of Marketing Management, 26(5-6): 548-569.
- O’Reilly N., Ayer S., Pegoraro A. (2012). Toward an understanding of donor loyalty: demographics, personality, persuasion and revenue. Journal of Nonprofit and Public Sector Quarterly, 24(1): 65-81.
- Poister T.H. (2003). Measuring performance in public and nonprofit organizations.
- Pope A.J., Isely E.S. Asamoa Tutu F. (2009). Developing a marketing strategy for nonprofit organizations: an exploratory study. Journal of nonprofit and public sector marketing.
- Salomon L.M. & Anheier H.K. (1997). Defining the Nonprofit Sector: A Cross-National Analysis. Manchester: Manchester University Press.
- Sargeant A. & Hilton T. (2005). The final gift: targeting the potential charity legato. International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing, 10: 3-1603.
- Sargeant A. & Shang J. (2011). Bequest Giving: Revisiting Donor Motivation with Dimensional Qualitative Research. Psychology & Marketing, 28(10): 980-997.
- Sargeant A. & Shang J. (2010). Fundraising principles and practice. New Jersey: John Wiley & Sons.
- Sargeant A. & Shang J. (2016). Outstanding fundraising practice: how do nonprofits substantively increase their income? International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing, 21(1): 43-56.
- Sargeant A., West D.C., Jay E. (2007). The relational determinants of nonprofit web site fundraising effectiveness: an exploratory study. Nonprofit management and leadership.
- Sargeant A. (1999). Charitable giving: towards a model of donor behavior. Journal of Marketing Management.
- Sargeant A., Woodliff L. (2008). Individual behavior giving: a multidisciplinary review. In: Sargeant A., Wymer W. (Eds.). The Routledge companion to non profit marketing. New York: Routledge, 117-151.
- Sato T. et al. (2013). Exploring a new marketing strategy for nonprofit organizations: an international perspective. International journal of marketing studies, 5(6): 8-13.
- Saunders S.G. (2013). The diversification of charities: from religion-oriented to for-profit-oriented fundraising. International Journal of Nonprofit and voluntary sector marketing, 18: 141-148.
- Sawhill J.C., Williamson D. (2001). Mission impossible? Measuring success in nonprofit organizations. Nonprofit management & leadership, 11(3): 371-386.
- Sikkel D. & Schoenmakers E. (2012). Bequests to health-related charitable organizations: a structural model. International Journal of Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Marketing, 17: 183-197.
- Stid D. & Bradach J. (2009). How visionary nonprofits leaders are learning to enhance management capabilities. Strategy and Leadership, 37(1): 35-40.
- Tabaku E. & Mersini M. (2014). An overview of Marketing means used by Non-profit Organizations: A detailed overview of NPOs operating in the district of Elbasan. Journal of Marketing and Management, 5(1): 66-83.
- Voss C., Tsikriktsis N., Frohlich M. (2002). Case research in operations management. International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 22(2): 195-219.
- Waters R.D. (2007). Non-profit organizations’ use of internet: A content analysis of communication trends on the internet sites of the philanthropy 400. Nonprofit Management & leadership, 18(1): 59-76.
- Waters R.D. (2008). Applying relationship management theory to the fundraising process for individual donors. Journal of communication management.
- Weir L.B., Hibbert S.A, (2000). Building donor relationship: an investigation into the use of relationship and database marketing by charity fundraisers. Service Industries Marketing, 20(2): 114-132.
- Wiepking P., Scaife W. & McDonald K. (2012). Motives and barriers to bequest giving. Journal of Consumer Behavior, 11: 56-66.
- Yin R. (1994). Case study research: Design and methods. Beverly Hills.
- Yin R.K. (2003). Case study research: Design and methods, third edition. Applied social research method series, 5.
- Zanin L. (2012). Il piano di fundraising: Dalla strategia all’operatività nella raccolta fondi. Maggioli Editore.
Alex Bizzarri, Silvio Cardinali, Antonio Picciotti, Gian Luca Gregori, in "MERCATI & COMPETITIVITÀ" 1/2017, pp. 79-96, DOI:10.3280/MC2017-001005