Signing the letter to shareholders: Does the Signatory’s role relate to impression management?
Journal Title: FINANCIAL REPORTING
Author/s: Saverio Bozzolan, Giovanna Michelon, Marco Mattei, Andrea Giornetti
FullText PDF: 459 KB
(DOI is like a bar code for intellectual property: to have more infomation:
Letter to shareholders, narrative disclosure, impression management, disclosure tone, annual report, executive vs. independent directors.
Jel Code: G39, M41
- Craig R. J., and Brennan N. M. (2012). An exploration of the relationship between language choice in CEO letters to shareholders and corporate reputation, Accounting Forum, 36(3), pp. 166-177.
- Cruz C., Larraza-Kintana M., Garces-Galdeano L., Berrone P. (2014), Are family firms more socially responsible, really?, Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice, 38(6), pp. 1295-1316.
- Davis A., Tama Sweet I. (2012), Managers’ use of language across alternative disclosure outlets: earnings press releases versus MD&A, Contemporary Accounting Research, 29(3), pp. 804-837.
- DeFond M.L., Park C.W. (2001) The reversal of abnormal accruals and the Market valuation of Earnings surprises, The Accounting Review, 76(3), pp. 375-404.
- DeJong D., Ling Z. (2013), Managers: their effects on accruals and firm policies, Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, 40(1), pp. 82-114.
- Dyreng S.D., Hanlon M., Maydew E.L. (2010), The effects of executives on corporate tax avoidance, The Accounting Review, 85(4), pp. 1163-1189.
- Eng L. L., and Mak Y. T. (2003), Corporate governance and voluntary disclosure, Journal of accounting and public policy, 22(4), pp. 325-345.
- Fama E.F. (1980), Agency problems and the theory or the firm, The Journal of Political Economy, 88(2), pp. 288-307.
- Fama E. F., Jensen M. C. (1983), Separation of ownership and control, The Journal of Law and Economics, 26(2), pp. 301-325.
- Feldman R., Govindaraj S., Livnat J., Segal B. (2010), Management’s tone change, post earnings announcement drift and accruals, Review of Accounting Studies, 15, pp. 915-953.
- Francis J., Huang A.H., Rajgopal S., Zang A.Y. (2008), CEO Reputation and Earnings Quality, Contemporary Accounting Research, 25(1), Spring, pp. 109-147.
- Garcia Osma B., Guillamon-Saorin E. (2011), Corporate governance and impression management in annual results press releases, Accounting, Organizations and Society, pp. 1-22.
- García Meca E., Sánchez Ballesta J. P. (2009), Corporate governance and earnings management: A meta analysis, Corporate governance: an international review, 17(5), pp. 594-610.
- Ge W., Matsumoto D., Zhang J.L. (2011), Do CFOs have style? An empirical investigation of the effect of individual CFOs on Accounting Practices, Contemporary Accounting Research, 28(4), pp. 1141-1179.
- Godfrey J., Mather P., Ramsay A. (2003), Earnings and Impression Management in Financial Reports: the case of CEO change, Abacus, 39(1), pp. 95-123.
- Gomez-Mejia L. R., Larraza-Kintana M., Makri M. (2007), The determinants of executive compensation in family-controlled public corporations, Academy of Management Journal, 46, pp. 226-237.
- Guillamon-Saorin E., Garcia Osma B., Jones M.J. (2012), Opportunistic disclosure in press release headlines, Accounting and Business Research, 42(2), pp. 143-168.
- Hooghiemstra R. (2000), Corporate communication and impression management – new perspectives why companies engage in corporate social reporting, Journal of Business Ethics, 27(1/2), pp. 55-68.
- Hooghiemstra R. (2010), Letters to the shareholders: A content analysis comparison of letters written by CEOs in the United States and Japan, The International Journal of Accounting, 45, pp. 275-300.
- Hope O. K. (2003), Disclosure practices, enforcement of accounting standards, and analysts’ forecast accuracy: An international study, Journal of accounting research, 41(2), pp. 235-272.
- Kimbrough M.D., Wang I.Y. (2014), Are Seemingly Self-Serving Attributions in Earnings Press Releases Plausible? Empirical Evidence, The Accounting Review, 89(2), pp. 635-667.
- Kohut G.F., Segars A.H. (1992), The president’s letter to stockholders: an examination of corporate communication strategy, Journal of Business Communication, 29(1), pp. 7-21.
- Kwak B., Ro B.T., Suk I. (2012), The composition of top management with general counsel and voluntary information disclosure, Journal of Accounting and Economics, 54, pp. 19-41.
- Jiang J., Petroni K.R., Wang I.Y. (2010), CFOs and CEOs: who have the most influence on earnings management?, Journal of Financial Economics, 96, pp. 513-526.
- Lewis B.W., Walls J.L., Dowell W.S. (2013), Difference in degrees: CEO characteristics and firm environmental disclosure, Strategic Management Journal, forthcoming.
- Li F. (2010), The information content of forward-looking statements in corporate filings – A naïve bayesian machine learning approach, Journal of Accounting Research, 48(5), pp. 1049-1102.
- Mäkelä H., Laine M. (2011), A CEO with many messages: Comparing the ideological representations provided by different corporate reports, Accounting Forum, 35(4), pp. 217-231.
- Mather P., Ramsay A. (2007), Do Board Characteristics Influence Impression Management through Graph Selectivity Around CEO Changes?, Australian Accounting Review, 17(42), pp. 84-95.
- Michelon G., Parbonetti A. (2012), The effect of corporate governance on sustainability disclosure, Journal of Management & Governance, 16(3), pp. 477-509.
- Mizruchi M. S. (1996), What do interlocks do? An analysis, critique, and assessment of research on interlocking directorates, Annual Review of Sociology, pp. 271-298.
- McClelland P.L., Liang X., Barker III V.L. (2010), CEO Commitment of the Status Quo: Replication and Extension using content analysis, Journal of Management, 36(5), September, pp. 1251-1277.
- Merkl-Davies D.M., Brennan N. (2007), Discretionary disclosure strategies in corporate narratives: Incremental information or impression management?, Journal of Accounting Literature, 26, pp. 116-196.
- Merkl-Davies D.M., Brennan N. (2011). A conceptual framework of impression management: new insights from psychology, sociology and critical perspectives, Accounting and Business Research, 41(1), pp. 415-437.
- Morck R., Wolfenzon D., Yeung B. (2005), Corporate governance, economic retrench, and growth, Journal of Economic Literature, 63, pp. 655-720.
- Patelli L., Pedrini M. (2014), Is the Optimism in CEO’s Letters to Shareholders Sincere? Impression Management versus Communicative Action during the Economic Crisis, Journal of Business Ethics, 124(1), pp. 19-34.
- Patelli L., Prencipe A. (2007), The relationship between voluntary disclosure and independent directors in the presence of a dominant shareholder, European Accounting Review, 16(1), pp. 5-33.
- Peasnell K.V., Pope P.F., Young S. (2005), Board monitoring and earnings management: Do outside directors influence abnormal accruals?, Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 32, pp. 1311-1346.
- Schleicher T., Walker M. (2010), Bias in the tone of forward-looking narratives, Accounting and Business Research, 40(4), pp. 371-390.
- Schleicher T. (2012), When is good news really good news?, Accounting and Business Research, 42(5), pp. 547-573.
- Schrand C.M., Walther B.R. (2000), Strategic benchmarks in earnings announcements: the selective disclosure of prior-period earnings components, The Accounting Review, 75(2), pp. 151-177.
- Segars A.H., Kohut G.F. (2001), Strategic communication through the world wide web: an empirical model of effectiveness in the CEO’s letter to shareholders, Journal of Management Studies, 38(4), pp. 535-556.
- Smith M., Taffler R.J. (2000), The chairman’s statement: A content analysis of discretionary narrative disclosures. Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 13(5), pp. 624-646.
- Spencer S. (2011), Spencer Stuart board index, -- Retrieved from http://www.spencerstuart.com//global.
- Volpin P. (2002), Governance with poor investor protection: evidence from top executive turnover in Italy, Journal of Financial Economics, 64, pp. 61-90.
- Yekini K. C., Adelopo I., Andrikopoulos P., and Yekini S. (2015), Impact of board independence on the quality of community disclosures in annual reports, Accounting Forum, 39(4), pp. 249-267.
- Yermack D. (1996), Higher market valuation for firms with a small board of directors, Journal of Finance and Economics, 40(2), pp. 185-211.
- Zajac E.J., Westphal J.D. (1996), Director Reputation, CEO board power, and the dynamics of board interlocks, Administrative Science Quarterly, 41, pp. 507-529.
- Abrahamson E., Amir E. (1996), The information content of the president’s letter to shareholders, Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 23(8), pp. 1157-1182.
- Aerts W. (2001), Inertia in the attributional content of annual accounting narratives, European Accounting Review, 10(1), pp. 3-32.
- Aerts W. (2005), Picking up the pieces: Impression management in the retrospective attributional framing of accounting outcomes, Accounting, Organizations and Society, 30, pp. 493-517.
- Amernic J., Craig R., Tourish D. (2010), Measuring and Assessing Tone at the Top Using Annual Report CEO Letters. (Edinburgh: The Institute of Chartered Accountants of Scotland).
- Baginski S.P., Demers E., Wang C., Yu J (2011), Understanding the role of language in management forecast press releases, INSEAD Working Paper No. 2011/28/AC. -- Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1773429 or http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.1773429.
- Baird J.E., Zelin R.C. (2000), The effects of information ordering on investor perceptions: An experiment utilizing presidents’ letters, Journal of Financial and Strategic Decisions, 13, pp. 71-81.
- Bamber L.S., Jiang J., Wang I.Y. (2010), What’s my style? The influence of top managers on voluntary corporate financial disclosure, The Accounting Review, 85(4), pp. 1131-1162.
- Barkemeyer R., Comyns B., Figge F., & Napolitano G. (2014), CEO statements in sustainability reports: Substantive information or background noise?, Accounting Forum, 38(4), pp. 241-257.
- Bartlett S.A., Chandler R.A. (1997), The corporate report and the private shareholder: Lee and Tweedie twenty years on, British Accounting Review, 29, pp. 245-61.
- Barton J., Mercer M. (2005), To blame or not to blame: Analysts reactions to explanations of poor management performance, Journal of Accounting and Economics, 39(3), pp. 509-533.
- Beasley M. (1996), An empirical analysis of the relation between the board of director composition and financial statement fraud, Accounting Review, 71, pp. 443-466.
- Berrone P., Cruz C., Gomez-Mejia L., Larraza-Kintana M. (2010), Socioemotional wealth and corporate responses to institutional pressures: Do family-controlled firms pollute less?, Administrative Science Quarterly, 55, pp. 82-113.
- Bournois F, Point S. (2006), A letter from the president: seduction, charm and obfuscation in French CEO letters, Journal of Business Strategy, 27(6), pp. 46-55.
- Bozzolan S. Cho C.H., Michelon G. (2015), Impression management and organizational audiences: The Fiat Group case, Journal of Business Ethics, 126(1), pp. 143-165.
- Brennan N.M., Guillamon-Saorin E., Pierce A. (2009), Impression management: Developing and illustrating a scheme of analysis for narrative disclosures – A methodological note, Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, 22(5), pp. 789-832.
- Brennan N.M., Merkl-Davies D.M. (2011), A conceptual framework of impression management: new insights from psychology, sociology and critical perspectives, Accounting and Business Research, 41(5), pp. 415-437.
- Cho C.H., Roberts R.W., Patten D.M. (2010), The language of US corporate environmental disclosure, Accounting Organizations and Society, 35, pp. 431-443.
- Claessens S., Djankov S., Fan J.P.H., Lang L.H.P. (2002), Disentangling the Incentive and Entrenchment Effects of Large Shareholdings, The Journal of Finance, LVII(6), pp. 2741-2771.
- Clatworthy M.A., Jones M.J. (2003), Financial reporting of good and bad news: evidence from accounting narratives, Accounting and Business Research, 33(3), pp. 171-85.
Saverio Bozzolan, Giovanna Michelon, Marco Mattei, Andrea Giornetti, in "FINANCIAL REPORTING" 1/2019, pp. 37-82, DOI:10.3280/FR2019-001002