Partner violence in women - Associations with childhood maltreatment, attachment style and Major Depression
Journal Title: MALTRATTAMENTO E ABUSO ALL’INFANZIA
Author/s: Antonia Bifulco, Rachele Damiani, Catherine Jacobs, Amanda Bunn, Ruth Spence
FullText PDF: 222 KB
(DOI is like a bar code for intellectual property: to have more infomation:
This study investigated trauma in the form of lifetime experience of partner violence (PV) and childhood maltreatment in relation to major depression in an adult sample of women. PV was more common among those from lower income households, single mothers and those sepa-rated from a partner. Dose-response effects were found for multiples of childhood trauma and adversity, adult adversity and the presence of PV. There was also a relationship between PV and anxious attachment style and recurrent major depression. Regression models showed that multiple childhood adversity, multiple adult adversity and anxious attachment style pre-dicted recurrent depression, PV did not add to the model. Understanding PV in terms of adult attachment style as well as multiple adversity could benefit the focus of therapeutic and social interventions.
Keywords: Insecure attachment style; childhood neglect/abuse; adult adversity; mental health; dose-response; interviews.
- Ansara, D. L., & Hindin, M. J. (2011). Psychosocial consequences of intimate partner violence for women and men in Canada. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 26, 1628-1645., DOI: 10.1177/088626051037060
- Avdibegović, E., & Sinanović, O. (2006). Consequences of domestic violence on women’s mental health in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Croatian Medical Journal, 47, 730-741.
- Babcock, J. C., Jacobson, N. S., Gottman, J. M., & Yerington, T. P. (2000). Attachment, Emotional Regulation, and the Function of Marital Violence: Differences Between Secure, Preoccupied, and Dismissing Violent and Nonviolent Husbands. Journal of Family Violence, 15, 391-409., DOI: 10.1023/A:1007558330501
- Bartholomew, K., Henderson, A., & Dutton, D. G. (2001). Insecure attachment and abusive intimate relationships. In: Clulow C. (ed), Adult attachment and couple psychotherapy. The secure base in practice and research (pp. 43-61). London: Brunner-Routledge.
- Bifulco, A., Bernazzani, O., Moran, P., & Jacobs, C. (2005). The Childhood Experience of Care and Abuse Questionnaire (CECA.Q): Validation in a community series. British Journal of Clinical Psychology, 44, 563-581., DOI: 10.1348/014466505X35344
- Bifulco, A., Bernazzani, O., Moran, P. M., & Ball, C. (2000). Lifetime stressors and recurrent depression: preliminary findings of the Adult Life Phase Interview (ALPHI). Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 35, 264-275.
- Bifulco, A., Brown, G. W., & Harris, T. O. (1994). Childhood Experience of Care and Abuse (CECA): A retrospective interview measure. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 35, 1419-1435.
- Bifulco, A., Brown, G. W., Lillie, A., & Jarvis, J. (1997). Memories of childhood neglect and abuse: Corroboration in a series of sisters. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 38, 365-374.
- Bifulco, A., Brown, G. W., Moran, P., Ball, C., & Campbell, C. (1998). Predicting depression in women: The role of past and present vulnerability. Psychological Medicine, 28, 39-50.
- Bifulco, A., Kwon, J. H., Moran, P. M., Jacobs, C., Bunn, A., & Beer, N. (2006). Adult attachment style as mediator between childhood neglect/abuse and adult depression and anxiety. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 41, 796-805.
- Bifulco, A., & Moran, P. (1998). Wednesday’s Child: Research into women’s experience of neglect and abuse in childhood and adult depression. London, New York: Routledge.
- Bifulco, A., Moran, P. M., Ball, C., & Bernazzani, O. (2002). Adult attachment style I:Its relationship to clinical depression. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 37, 50-59.
- Bifulco, A., Moran, P. M., Ball, C., & Lillie, A. (2002). Adult attachment style II: Its relationship to psychosocial depressive-vulnerability. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 37, 60-67.
- Bonomi, A. E., Thompson, R. S., Anderson, M., Reid, R., Carrell, D., Dimer, J. A., & Rivara, F. P. (2006). Intimate partner violence and women’s physical, mental, and social functioning. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 30, 458-466.
- Bowlby, J. (1977). Aetiology and psychopathology in the light of attachment theory. British Journal of Psychiatry, 130, 201-210.
- Brewin, C. R., Andrews, B., & Gotlib, I. H. (1993). Psychopathology and early experience: A reappraisal of retrospective reports. Psychological Bulletin, 113, 82-98., DOI: 10.1037//0033-2909.113.1.82
- Brieding, M. J., Smith, S. G., Basile, K. C., Walters, M. L., Chen, J., & Merrick, M. T. (2014). Prevalence and characteristics of sexual violence, stalking and intimate partner violence victimisation. National Intimate Parent and Sexual Violence Survey, United States 2011. -- Text available at the website www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/ss6308a1.htm 15th May 2017.
- Campbell, J. C. (2002). Health consequences of intimate partner violence. Lancet, 359, 1331-1336.
- Chen, P. H., Rovi, S., Vega, M., Jacobs, A., & Johnson, M. S. (2009). Relation of domestic violence to health status among Hispanic women. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 20, 569-582.
- Conradi, H. J., & de Jonge, P. (2009). Recurrent depression and the role of adult attachment: A prospective and a retrospective study. Journal of Affective Disorders, 116, 93-99.
- Dillon, G., Hussain, R., Loxton, D., & Rahman S. (2013). Mental and Physical Health and Intimate Partner Violence against Women: A Review of the Literature. International Journal of Family Medicine, 1-15., DOI: 10.1155/2013/313909
- Eshelman, L., & Levendosky, A. A. (2012). Dating violence: mental health consequences based on type of abuse. Violence and Victims, 27, 215-228., DOI: 10.1891/0886-6708.27.2.215
- Felitti, V. J. (2002). The Relationship of Adverse Childhood Experiences to Adult Health: Turning gold into lead. Zeitschrift fur Psychosomatische Medizin und Psychotherapie, 48, 359-369.
- Finkelhor, D., Ormrod, R., & Turner, H. (2007). Re-Victimization Patterns in a National Longitudinal Sample of Children and Youth. Child Abuse and Neglect, 31, 497-502.
- First, M., Gibbon, M., Spitzer, R., & Williams G. (1996). Users guide for SCID: Biometrics Research Division.
- Fishtein, J., Pietromonaco, P. R., & Barrett, L. F. (1999). The Contribution of Attachment Style and Relationship Conflict to the Complexity of Relationship Knowledge. Social Cognition, 17, 228-244.
- Hardt, J., & Rutter, M. (2004). Validity of adult retrospective reports of adverse childhood experiences: Review of the evidence. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 45, 260-273.
- Home Office. (2011). Domestic Violence Disclosure scheme: A consultation. -- Text available at the website www.gov.uk/government/consultations/domestic-violence-disclosure-scheme 16th May 2017.
- Jinyao, Y., Xiongzhao, Z., Auerbach, R. P., Gardiner, C. K., Lin, C., Yuping, W., & Shuqiao, Y. (2012). Insecure attachment as a predictor of depressive and anxious symptomology. Depression and Anxiety, 29, 789-796.
- Johnson, S. M., Makinen, J. A., & Millikin, J. W. (2001). Attachment injuries in couple relationships: A new perspective on impasses in couples therapy. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 27, 145-155.
- Johnson, S. M., & Whiffen, V. E. (2003). Attachment processes in couple and family therapy. New York: Guilford Press.
- Lafontaine, M., & Lussier, Y. (2005). Does Anger Towards the Partner Mediate and Moderate the Link Between Romantic Attachment and Intimate Violence? Journal of Family Violence, 20(349).
- Loxton, D., Schofield, M., & Hussain, R. (2006). Psychological health in midlife among women who have ever lived with a violent partner or spouse. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 21, 1092-1107., DOI: 10.1177/0886260506290290
- Moran, P., Bifulco, A., Baines, R., Bunn, A., & Stanford, K. (2003). Exploring psychological abuse in childhood I: Developing a new interview scale. Bulletin of the Menninger Clinic, 66, 213-240.
- Morgan, H., & Shaver, P. R. (1999). Attachment Processes and Commitment to Romantic Relationships. In: Adams J. & Jones W. (eds), Handbook of Interpersonal Commitment and Relationship Stability. New York: Plenum Publishers.
- ONS (2015). Crime Survey England and Wales 2013-14. London: Office for National Statistics.
- ONS (2016). Focus on Violent Crime and Sexual Offences: Year ending March 2015. London; Office for National Statistics.
- Pietromonaco, P. R., Greenwood, D., & Barrett, L. F. (2004). Conflict in Adult Close Relationships: An Attachment Perspective. In: Simpson W.S. (ed), Adult attachment:New directions and emerging issues. New York: Guilford Press.
- Romito, P., Molzan Turan, J., & De Marchi, M. (2005). The impact of current and past interpersonal violence on women’s mental health. Social Science and Medicine, 60, 1717-1727.
- Savas, N., & Agridag, G. (2011). The relationship between women’s mental health and domestic violence in semirural areas: a study in Turkey. Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Health, 23, 399-407., DOI: 10.1177/101053950934632
- Scharfe, E. (2007). Cause or consequence? Exploring causal links between attachment and depression. Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 26, 1048-1064.
- Shaver, P., & Hazan, C. (1993). Adult romantic attachment: Theory and evidence. In Advances in Personal Relationships (Vol. 4, pp. 29-70). London: Jessica Kinsgley.
- Shaver, P. R., & Clarke, C. L. (1994). The psychodynamics of adult romantic attachment. In: Masling, J. and Bornstein, R. (eds), Empirical perspectives on object relations theories (pp. 105-156). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Simonelli, L. E., Ray, W. J., & Pincus, A. L. (2004). Attachment Models and Their Relationships with Anxiety, Worry, and Depression. Counseling and Clinical Psychology Journal, 1, 107-118.
- Straus, M. A. (1979). Measuring Intrafamily Conflict and Violence: The Conflict Tactics (CT) Scales. Journal of Marriage and Family, 41, 75-88., DOI: 10.2307/351733
- Vos, T., Astbury, J., Piers, L. S, Magnus, A., Heenan, M., Stanley, L., Walker, L. & Webster, K. (2006). Measuring the impact of intimate partner violence on the health of women in Victoria, Australia. Bulletin of the World Health Organization, 84, 739-744.
- Wei, M., Mallinckrodt, B., Larson, L. M., & Zakalik, R. A. (2005). Adult Attachment, Depressive Symptoms, and Validation From Self Versus Others. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 52, 368-377., DOI: 10.1037/0022-0220.127.116.118
Antonia Bifulco, Rachele Damiani, Catherine Jacobs, Amanda Bunn, Ruth Spence, in "MALTRATTAMENTO E ABUSO ALL’INFANZIA" 2/2019, pp. 13-28, DOI:10.3280/MAL2019-002002