The implementation of management accounting in small-medium enterprises (SMEs). A knowledge transfer perspective
Titolo Rivista: MANAGEMENT CONTROL
Autori/Curatori: Andrea Cardoni, Alessio Paradisi
Anno di pubblicazione:
Suppl. 1 Lingua:
Dimensione file: 329 KB
Il DOI è il codice a barre della proprietà intellettuale: per saperne di più:
This paper aims to provide a contribution on how the small and medium enterpris-es (SMEs) may reduce the gap between theory and practice on management con-trol knowledge. The paper adopts a knowledge transfer (KT) approach grounded on Liyanage et al.’s (2009) framework. A project of management accounting (MA) implementation in a SME located in Umbria is presented and discussed fol-lowing a strong interventionist research approach. The case demonstrates the knowledge management relevance on MA implementation, able to integrate and reinforce the influence of contingency variables and institutional pressures. It con-tributes to show how the MA implementation has been positively influenced by the SME absorptive capacity (AC) and willingness to learn (WTL), connected to some educational and technical conditions characterizing the entrepreneur and the organization. This paper provides a practical contribution for practitioners and SMEs involved in the implementation of MA tools, demonstrating that successful implementation requires gradual learning cycles and some organizational pre-conditions to bring successful results. It also contributes to scientific debate en-hancing the active role of the actors in designing and implementing managerial control systems, as well as providing an original view that involves the supply and demand for innovation in managerial systems as sources and receivers of man-agement control knowledge.
Keywords: Management accounting tools; implementation; interventionist re-search; knowledge transfer
- Abrahamson E. (1996), Management fashion, Acad Manage Rev., 21(1), pp. 254-85.
- Aureli S., Cardoni A., Del Baldo M., Lombardi R. (2019), Traditional management accounting tools in SMEs’ network. Do they foster partner dialogue and business innovation?, Management Control, 1, pp. 35-50.
- Ax C., Greve J. (2017), Adoption of MA innovations: Organizational culture compatibility and perceived outcomes, MA Research, 34, pp. 59-74.
- Baard V. (2010), A critical review of interventionist research, Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management, 7, 13-45., DOI: 10.1108/11766091011034262
- Bahari N., Yunus A.R., Jabar J. (2017), Effective Success Factor of Malaysian SMEs Firm Performance Influence by Entrepreneur Personal Characteristics, Entrepreneurial Orientation and Government Support Program, The Social Sciences, 12, pp. 1157-1162.
- Battisti M., Beynon M., Pickernell D., Deakins D. (2019), Surviving or thriving: The role of learning for the resilient performance of small firms, J. of Business Research, 100, pp. 38-50.
- Beijerse R.P. (2000), Knowledge management in small and medium‐sized companies. Knowledge management for entrepreneurs, J of Knowledge Management, 4(2), pp. 162-179., DOI: 10.1108/13673270010372297
- Bennett M., Bouma J.J., Ciccozzi E. (2004), An institutional perspective on the transfer of accounting knowledge: a case study, Accounting Education, 13, pp. 329-346., DOI: 10.1080/0963928042000273807
- Brem A., Kreusel N., Neusser C. (2008), Performance measurement in SMEs: literature review and results from a German case study, Int. J. Globalisation and Small Business, 2, pp. 411-427.
- Burns J., Scapens RW. (2000). Conceptualizing management accounting change: an institutional framework, Management Account Res, 11, pp. 3-25.
- Cardoni A. (2018), Le sfide evolutive del Management Control tra relazioni strategiche, innovazione e discontinuità: a knowledge transfer matter?, Management Control, 1, pp. 5-15., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2018-001001
- Cardoni A., Dumay J., Palmaccio M., Celenza D. (2019), KT in a start-up craft brewery, Business Process Mgmt Journal, 25, pp. 219-243., DOI: 10.1108/BPMJ-07-2017-0205
- Carenzo P., Turolla A. (2010), The diffusion of MA systems in manufacturing companies: an empirical analysis of Italian firms, in: Epstein M.J., Manzoni J.-F., Davila A. (Eds.), Studies in Managerial and Financial Accounting, Emerald Group Publishing Limited, pp. 457-499., DOI: 10.1108/S1479-3512(2010)0000020019
- Carlile P.R. (2004), Transferring, Translating, and Transforming: An Integrative Framework for Managing Knowledge Across Boundaries, Organization Science, 15, pp. 555-568.
- Cesaroni F.M., Sentuti A. (2019), Il cambiamento dei sistemi di controllo manageriale e il processo di successione nelle imprese familiari. Quali possibili relazioni?, Management Control, 1. 17-44., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2019-001002
- Chanegrih T. (2008), Applying a typology of management accounting change: A research note, Management Accounting Research, 19, pp. 278-285.
- Chenhall R.H. (2007), Theorizing Contingencies in Management Control Systems Research, in Chapman C. S., Hopwood A. G. and Shields M. D. (Eds.), Handbook of MA Research, Oxford, Elsevier, UK, pp. 163-205.
- Chiucchi M.S. (2014), Il gap tra teoria e prassi nel Management Accounting: il contributo della field-based research, Management Control, 3, pp. 5-9., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2014-003001
- Cinquini L., Norreklit H. (2015), Management Control Special Issue: Research perspectives in Performance Management, Management Control, Special Issue 2, pp. 5-12., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2015-002001
- Cohen W., Levinthal, D. (1990), Absorptive capacity: a new perspective on learning and innovation, Administrative Science Quarterly, 35, 1, pp. 128-152.
- Davila T. (2005), An exploratory study on the emergence of management control systems: formalizing human resources in small growing firms, Accounting, Organizations and Society, 30, 223-248.
- Del Baldo M., Arcari A.M., Ruisi M. (2019), Controllo di gestione nelle PMI e consulenti esterni, Management Control, 1, pp. 69-94., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2019-SU1005
- Demartini C. (2014), Performance Management Systems. Design, Diagnosis and Use, Berlin Heidelberg, Springer-Verlag.
- Ditillo A. (2004), Dealing with uncertainty in knowledge-intensive firms, Accounting, Organization and Society, 29, pp.401-421.
- Dumay J.C. (2010), A critical reflective discourse of an interventionist research project, Qualitative Res Acc & Man, 7, pp. 46-70., DOI: 10.1108/11766091011034271
- Dumay J., Baard V. (2017), An Introduction to Interventionist Research in Accounting 39, in Haynes K., Hoque Z., Parker L.D., and Covaleski M.A. (Eds), The Routledge companion to qualitative accounting research methods, New York, Routledge, pp. 265-283.
- Durst S., Runar Edvardsson I. (2012), Knowledge management in SMEs: a literature review, J of Knowledge Management, 16, pp. 879-903., DOI: 10.1108/13673271211276173
- Durst S., Wilhelm S. (2012), Knowledge management and succession planning in SMEs, J of Knowledge Management, 16, pp. 637-649., DOI: 10.1108/13673271211246194
- European Commission (2015), Annual Report on European SMEs 2015/2016.
- Filippini R., Güttel W.H., Nosella A. (2012), Dynamic capabilities and the evolution of knowledge management projects in SMEs, Int. J. Technology Management, 60, pp. 202-220.
- Garengo P., Bititci U. (2007), Towards a contingency approach to performance measurement: an empirical study in Scottish SMEs, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 27, 8, pp. 802-825.
- Garengo P., Biazzo S., Bititci U.S. (2005), Performance measurement systems in SMEs: A review for a research agenda, Int J Management Reviews, 7, pp. 25-47.
- Gatti M., Chiucchi M.S. (2017), Context matters – Il ruolo del contesto negli studi di controllo di gestione, Management Control, 3, pp. 5-10., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2017-003001
- Heinicke A. (2018), Performance measurement systems in small and medium-sized enterprises and family firms: a systematic literature review, J Manag Control, 28, pp. 457-502.
- Hiebl M.R.W., Feldbauer‐Durstmüller B., Duller C. (2013), The changing role of MA in the transition from a family business to a non‐family business, J of Accounting & Organizational Change, 38.
- Hines R.D. (1989), Financial Accounting Knowledge, Conceptual Framework Projects and the Social Construction of the Accounting Profession, Acc Auditing Accountability J, 2., DOI: 10.1108/09513578910132268
- Hopwood A.G. (1983), On trying to study accounting in the contexts in which it operates, Accounting, Organizations and Society, 8, pp. 287-305., DOI: 10.1016/0361-3682(83)90035-1
- Hudson M., Smart A., Bourne M. (2001), Theory and practice in SME performance measurement system, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 21, pp. 1096-1115.
- Hussain M., Hoque Z. (2002). Understanding non-financial performance measurement practices in Japanese banks. A new institutional sociology perspective, Accounting Auditing &Accountability Journal, 15, 2, pp. 162-183.
- Kasurinen T. (2002), Exploring management accounting change: the case of balanced scorecard implementation, Management, Accounting Research, 13, pp. 323-343.
- King R., Clarkson P.M., Wallace S. (2010), Budgeting practices and performance in small healthcare businesses, MA Research, 21, pp. 40-55.
- Jansen E.P. (2018), Bridging the gap between theory and practice in MA: Reviewing the literature to shape interventions, Acc Auditing Accountability J, 31, pp. 1486-1509., DOI: 10.1108/AAAJ-10-2015-2261
- Jönsson S., Lukka K. (2006), There and Back Again: Doing Interventionist Research in MA, in Handbooks of MA Research, Elsevier, pp. 373-397., DOI: 10.1016/S1751-3243(06)01015-7
- Langfield-Smith K. (2008), Strategic management accounting: how far have we come in 25 years? Account Audit Account J, 21(2), pp. 204–228.
- Lavia López O., Hiebl M. R.W. (2015), MA in Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises: Current Knowledge and Avenues for Further Research, Journal of Management Accounting Research, 27, 1, pp. 81-119.
- Liao J., Welsch H., Stoica M. (2003), Organizational AC and Responsiveness: An Empirical Investigation of Growth-Oriented SMEs, Ent. Theory & Pract, 28, pp. 63-85., DOI: 10.1111/1540-8520.00032
- Liyanage C., Elhag T., Ballal T., Li Q. (2009), Knowledge communication and translation – a KT model, J of Knowledge Management, 13, pp. 118-131., DOI: 10.1108/13673270910962914
- Malmi T., Granlund M. (2009), In Search of Management Accounting Theory, European Accounting Review, 18, pp. 597-620., DOI: 10.1080/09638180902863779
- Skærbæk P., Tryggestad K. (2010), The role of accounting devices in performing corporate strategy, Accounting, Organizations and Society, 35, pp. 108-124.
- Massaro M., Bardy R., Pitts M. (2012), Supporting creativity through knowledge integration during the creative processes. A management control system perspective, Electronic Journal of Knowledge Management, 10, pp. 258-267.
- Massaro M., Handley K., Bagnoli C., Dumay J. (2016), Knowledge management in small and medium enterprises: a structured literature review, J of Knowledge Management, 20, pp. 258-291., DOI: 10.1108/JKM-08-2015-0320
- Mitter C., Hiebl M.R.W. (2017), The role of MA in international entrepreneurship, J Acc & Organizational Change, 13, pp. 381-409., DOI: 10.1108/JAOC-02-2016-0006
- Muscio A. (2007), The impact of absorptive capacity on SMEs’ collaboration, Economics of Innovation and New Technology, 16, pp. 653-668., DOI: 10.1080/10438590600983994
- Neely A., Mills J., Platts K., Richard H., Gregory M., Bourne M., Kennerly M. (2000), Performance measurement system design: developing and testing a process-based approach, International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 20, 10, pp. 1119-1145., DOI: 10.1108/01443570010343708
- Nonaka I., Takeuchi H. (1995), The Knowledge-Creating Company: How Japanese Companies Create the dynamics of Innovation, New York, NY, Oxford University Press.
- Nonaka I., Toyama R. (2003), The knowledge-creating theory revisited: knowledge creation as a synthesizing process, Knowledge Management Research & Practice, 1, 1, pp. 2-10.
- OECD (2017), Meeting of the OECD Council at Ministerial Level, Paris.
- Otley D.T. (1980) The contingency theory of management accounting: achievement and prognosis, in Emmanuel C., Otley D., Merchant K (eds), Readings in Accounting for Management Control, Boston, MA, Springer.
- Otley D. (2016), The contingency theory of management accounting and control: 1980-2014, Management Accounting Research, 31, pp. 45-62.
- O’Regan N., Ghobadian A., Sims M. (2005), Fast tracking innovation in manufacturing SMEs, Technovation, pp. 1-11.
- Palazzi F., Ciambotti M., Gelsomini L. (2019), L’adozione dell’Activity-Based Costing nelle PMI: analisi di un caso, Management Control, 1, pp. 97-12., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2019-001005
- Paulin D., Suneson K. (2012), Knowledge transfer, knowledge sharing and knowledge barriers – three blurry terms in KM, The Electronic Journal of Knowledge Management, 10(1), pp. 81-91.
- Pavan A., D’Onza G. (2013), Innovare i sistemi di controllo e di governance per gestire il cambiamento, Management Control, 2, pp. 5-7., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2013-002001
- Penrose E.T. (1959), The Theory of the Growth of the Firm, London and Oxford, Basil Blackwell.
- Perego P.M., Hartmann F.G.H. (2009), Aligning performance measurement systems with strategy: the case of environmental strategy, Abacus, 45(4), pp. 397–428.
- Politis D. (2005), The Process of Entrepreneurial Learning: A Conceptual Framework, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 29(4).
- Powell W., DiMaggio P. (editors) (2001), The new institutionalism in organizational analysis. Chicago, The University of Chicago Press, 1991.
- Ryan B., Scapens R.W., Theobald M. (2002), Research method and methodology in finance and accounting, Second edition. ed. South-Western, Hampshire, United Kingdom, Andover, Cengage Learning.
- Sandalgaard N., Nielsen C. (2018), Budget emphasis in small and medium-sized enterprises: evidence from Denmark, J Applied Accounting Research, 19, pp. 351-364., DOI: 10.1108/JAAR-08-2016-0087
- Scott WR. (2001), Institutions and organizations. London, Sage Publications.
- Smith M., Bititci U.S. (2017), Interplay between performance measurement and management, employee engagement and performance, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, 37(9), pp. 1207-1228.
- Songini L., Gnan L., Malmi T. (2013), The role and impact of accounting in family business, Journal of Family Business Strategy, 4, pp. 71-83.
- Sousa S., Aspinwall E. (2010), Development of a performance measurement framework for SMEs, Total Quality Management, 21, pp. 475-501.
- Tangaraja G., Mohd Rasdi R., Ismail M., Abu Samah B. (2015), Fostering knowledge sharing behaviour among public sector managers: a proposed model for the Malaysian public service, Journal of Knowledge Management, 19(1), pp. 121-140.
- Tucker B.P., Lowe A.D. (2014), Practitioners are from Mars; academics are from Venus? An Investigation of the research-practice gap in management accounting, Acc Auditing Accountability J, 27(3), pp. 394-425.
- Wales W.J., Parida V., Patel P.C. (2013), Too much of a good thing? Absorptive capacity, firm performance, and the moderating role of entrepreneurial orientation, Strategic Management Journal, 34, pp. 622-633.
- Wee C.N.J., Chua A.Y.K. (2013), The peculiarities of knowledge management processes in SMEs: the case of Singapore, J of Knowledge Management, 17, pp. 958-972., DOI: 10.1108/JKM-04-2013-0163
- Wettstein T., Kueng P. (2002), A maturity model for performance measurement systems, Management Information Systems 2002, in Brebbia C.A., Pascolo P. (Editors).
- Wong Y.K., Aspinwall E. (2004), Characterizing knowledge management in the small business environment, J of Knowledge Management, 8, pp. 44-61., DOI: 10.1108/13673270410541033
- Xu J., Quaddus M. (2005), A six-stage model for the effective diffusion of knowledge management systems, Journal of Management Development, 24, 4, pp. 362-373.
- Zahra S.A., George G. (2002), AC: A Review, Reconceptualization, and Extension, AMR, 27, pp. 185-203.
- Zakay D., Ellis S., Shevalsky M. (2004), Outcome Value and Early Warning Indications as Determinants of Willingness to Learn from Experience, Experimental Psychology, 51, pp. 150-157., DOI: 10.1027/1618-3126.96.36.199
- Zoni L., Morelli M., Dossi A. (2012), Does the organizational life cycle affect the Management Accounting System (MAS) change pattern? A review of case studies, Management Control, 3, pp. 7-37., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2013-SU3002
Andrea Cardoni, Alessio Paradisi , in "MANAGEMENT CONTROL" Suppl. 1/2020, pp. 39-61, DOI:10.3280/MACO2020-001-S1004