Management Control in Family Business. A Literature Review
Journal Title: MANAGEMENT CONTROL
Author/s: Francesco Badia, Grazia Dicuonzo, Simona Ranaldo, Vittorio Dell’Atti
Suppl. 1 Language:
FullText PDF: 262 KB
(DOI is like a bar code for intellectual property: to have more infomation:
Keywords: Family business, family firms, management control, management ac-counting, literature review
- Acquaah M. (2013), Management control systems, business strategy and performance: A comparative analysis of family and non-family businesses in a transition economy in sub-Saharan Africa, Journal of Family Business Strategy, 4(2), pp. 131-146.
- Ahrens T., Chapman C. (2004), Accounting for Flexibility and Efficiency: A Field Study of Management Control Systems in a Restaurant Chain. Contemporary Accounting Research, 21(2), pp. 271-302.
- Anselmi L. (Ed.) (1999), Aziende familiari di successo in Toscana, Milano, FrancoAngeli.
- Anthony R.N. (1965), Planning and Control Systems: A Framework for Analysis, Harvard Business School Division of Research.
- Audretsch D.B., Hülsbeck M., Lehmann E.E. (2013), Families as active monitors of firm performance. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 4(2), pp. 118-130.
- Bassani G., Cattaneo C., Cesaroni F.M., Sentuti A. (2018), Sistemi di gestione e controllo e professionalizzazione delle imprese familiari. Uno strumento di accreditamento intraparentale? Management Control, 2, pp. 15-35.
- Becker W., Ulrich P., Staffel M. (2011), Management accounting and controlling in German SMEs – do company size and family influence matter? International Journal of Entrepreneurial Venturing, 3(3), pp. 281-300.
- Berrone P., Cruz C., Gomez-Mejia L.R. (2012), Socioemotional Wealth in Family Firms: Theoretical Dimensions, Assessment Approaches, and Agenda for Future Research. Family Business Review, 25(3), pp. 258-279., DOI: 10.1177/0894486511435355
- Bianchi M., Imoniana J.O., Tampieri L., Tesic J. (2009), Comparing the role of managerial control in Micro Family Business start-up in Bosnia Erzegovina, Brazil and Italy. Corporate Ownership and Control, 7(2 B), pp. 224-238.
- Bisogno M., Vaia G. (2017), The role of management accounting in family business succession. African Journal of Business Management, 11(21), pp. 619-629.
- Bracci E., Maran L. (2012), The role and use of Management Accounting Systems (MAS) in family firms: A case study. Piccola impresa / Small Business, 3, pp. 129-153.
- Broccardo L., Culasso F., Giacosa E., Truant E. (2016), The diffusion of management control systems in Italy: A comparison between family and non-family firms, Corporate Ownership and Control, 13(4Continued1), pp. 165-172.
- Bronzetti G., Mazzotta R. (2015), Business succession and Intellectual Capital Management in family firms, Management Control, 1, pp. 45-72.
- Brück C., Ludwig J., Schwering A. (2018), The use of value-based management in family firms, Journal of Management Control, 28(4), pp. 383-416.
- Caputo F., Veltri S., Venturelli A. (2017), Sustainability strategy and management control systems in family firms. Evidence from a case study, Sustainability (Switzerland), 9(6).
- Carrera N. (2017), What Do We Know about Accounting in Family Firms ? Journal of Evolutionary Studies in Business, 2(2), pp. 97-159.
- Cattaneo C., Bassani G. (2015), Sistemi di controllo formali nelle pmi familiari: una presenza possibile? Piccola impresa/Small Business, 1, pp. 31-52.
- Cesaroni F.M., Sentuti A. (2019), Il cambiamento dei sistemi di controllo manageriale e il processo di successione nelle imprese familiari. Quali possibili relazioni? Management Control, 9(1), pp. 17-44.
- Chennhal R.H. (2003), Management control systems design within its organizational context: findings from contingency-based research and directions for the future. Accounting, Organizations and Society, 28(4), pp.127-168., DOI: 10.1063/1.5024417
- Chrisman J.J., Chua J.H., Litz R.A. (2004), Comparing the Agency Costs of Family and Non-Family Firms: Conceptual Issues and Exploratory Evidence, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 28(4), pp. 335-354.
- Chua J.H., Chrisman J.J., Sharma P. (1999), Defining the Family Business by Behavior, Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 23(4), pp. 19-39.
- Ciambotti M. (2011), Aspetti di gestione strategica nelle imprese familiari, in Cesaroni F. M. & Ciambotti M. (Eds.), La successione nelle imprese familiari (pp. 23-44), Milano, FrancoAngeli.
- Corbetta G. (1995). Le imprese familiari: caratteri originali, varietà e condizioni di sviluppo. Milano, Egea.
- Corbetta G., Salvato C.A. (2004), The Board of Directors in Family Firms: One Size Fits All? Family Business Review, 17(2), pp. 119-134.
- Craig J., Moores K. (2015), The A-GES framework: understanding the family business difference.
- Culasso F., Giacosa E., Manzi L.M., Dana L.P. (2018), Professionalization in Family Businesses. How to strengthen strategy implementation and control, favouring succession. Management Control, 1, pp. 45-71.
- D’Onza G. (Ed.) (2017), Assetti di governance, sistemi di controllo e di risk managemet nelle aziende familiari. Torino, Giappichelli.
- Dekker J., Lybaert N., Steijvers T., Depaire B. (2015), The Effect of Family Business Professionalization as a Multidimensional Construct on Firm Performance. Journal of Small Business Management, 53(2), pp. 516-538.
- Del Bene L. (2005). Aziende familiari: tra imprenditorialità e managerialità, Torino, Giappichelli.
- Dello Sbarba A., Marelli A. (2018), Family-controlled businesses and management control: the framing of “shareholder-oriented” practices, Journal of Management Control, 28(4), pp. 417-456.
- Donaldson L., Davis J.H. (1991), Stewardship Theory or Agency Theory: CEO Governance and Shareholder Returns. Australian Journal of Management, 16(1), pp. 49-64., DOI: 10.1177/031289629101600103
- Donnelley R. (1964), The family business. Harvard Business Review, 42(2), pp. 93-105.
- Duller C. (2011), Strategists and non-strategists in Austrian enterprises – Statistical approaches. AIP Conference Proceedings, 1389, pp. 402-404., DOI: 10.1063/1.3636748
- Duréndez A., Madrid-Guijarro, A., & García-Pérez-de-Lema, D. (2011), Innovative culture, management control systems and performance in small and medium-sized spanish family firms. Innovar, 21(40), pp. 137-154.
- Dyer W. (1988), Culture and continuity in family firms, Family Business Review, 1(1), pp. 18-24.
- Dyer W. (2001), Integrating expert management into a family owned business, Family Business Review, 2.
- Efferin S., Hartono M.S. (2015), Management control and leadership styles in family business. Journal of Accounting & Organizational Change, 11(1), pp. 130-159.
- El Masri T., Tekathen M., Magnan M., Boulianne E. (2017), Calibrating management control technologies and the dual identity of family firms, Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management, 14(2), pp. 157-188.
- Esparza-Aguilar J.L., García-Pérez-De-Lema D., Duréndez A. (2016), The effect of accounting information systems on the performance of Mexican micro, small and medium-sized family firms: An exploratory study for the hospitality sector, Tourism Economics, 22(5), 1104-1120.
- García-Pérez-De-Lema D., Duréndez A. (2007), Managerial behaviour of small and medium-sized family businesses: an empirical study, International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour & Research, 13(3), pp. 151-172., DOI: 10.1108/13552550710751030
- Giovannoni E., Maraghini M.P., Riccaboni A. (2011), Transmitting knowledge across generations: The role of management accounting practices. Family Business Review, 24(2), pp. 126-150., DOI: 10.1177/0894486511406722
- Gomez-Mejia L.R., Cruz C., Berrone P., Castro J.O. De. (2011), The Bind That Ties : Socioemotional Wealth Preservation The Academy of Management Annals The Bind that Ties: Socioemotional Wealth Preservation in Family Firms, The Academy of Management Annals, 5(1), 653-707., DOI: 10.1080/19416520.2011.593320
- Gómez-Mejía L.R., Haynes, Katalin Takács Núñez-Nickel, Manuel Jacobson, Kathyrn J.L. Moyano-Fuentes J. (2007), Socioemotional Wealth and Business Risks in Family-controlled Firms: Evidence from Spanish Olive Oil Mills, Administrative Science Quarterly, 52(1), pp. 106-137.
- Habbershon T.G., Williams M.Lou. (1999), A Resource-Based Framework for Assessing the Strategic Advantages of Family Firms, Family Business Review, 12(1), pp. 1-25.
- Handler W.C. (1989), Methodological Issues and Considerations in Studying Family Businesses, Family Business Review, 2(3), pp. 257-276.
- Helsen Z., Lybaert N., Steijvers T., Orens R., Dekker J. (2017), Management Control Systems in Family Firms: a Review of the Literature and Directions for the Future, Journal of Economic Surveys, 31(2), pp. 410-435.
- Herriau C., Touchais L. (2015), The Role of Control Systems in the Process of Change: Application to a Family Business Succession. Journal of Change Management, 15(1), pp. 19-42., DOI: 10.1080/14697017.2014.922603
- Hiebl M.R.W. (2013), Management accounting in the family business: Tipping the balance for survival. Journal of Business Strategy, 34(6), pp. 19-25., DOI: 10.1108/JBS-07-2013-0052
- Hiebl M.R.W., Feldbauer-Durstmüller B., Duller C. (2013), The changing role of management accounting in the transition from a family business to a non-family business, Journal of Accounting and Organizational Change, 9., DOI: 10.1108/18325911311325933
- Hiebl M.R.W., Mayrleitner B. (2017), Professionalization of management accounting in family firms: the impact of family members, Review of Managerial Science, pp. 1-32.
- Hiebl M.R.W., Neubauer H., Duller C., Feldbauer-Durstmüller B. (2014), The relationship between corporate governance configuration in family businesses and the use of management accounting, International Journal of Business Research, 14(2), pp. 53-74., DOI: 10.18374/IJBR-14-2.5
- Hitt M.A., Bierman L., Shimizu K., Kochhar R. (2001), Direct and Moderating Effects of Human Capital on Strategy and Performance in Professional Service Firms: A Resource-Based Perspective, Academy of Management Journal, 44(1), 13-28.
- Huerta E., Petrides Y., O’Shaughnessy D. (2017), Introduction of accounting practices in small family busiess, Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management Journal of Management Development Iss International Journal of Public Sector Management Iss Accountability Journal.
- Hung Chan K., Lew A.Y., Wu Tong M.Y. J. (2001), Accounting and management controls in the classical Chinese novel: A Dream of the Red Mansions, The International Journal of Accounting, 36(3), pp. 311-327.
- Jensen M.C., Meckling W.H. (1976), Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure, Journal of Financial Economics, 3(4), pp. 305-360.
- Jorissen A., Laveren E., Martens R., Reheul A.-M. (2005), Real Versus Sample-Based Differences in Comparative Family Business Research, Family Business Review, 18(3), pp. 229-246.
- Kallmuenzer A., Peters M. (2018), Innovativeness and control mechanisms in tourism and hospitality family firms : A comparative study, International Journal of Hospitality Management, 70, pp. 66-74.
- Kallmuenzer A., Strobl A., Peters M. (2018), Tweaking the entrepreneurial orientation – performance relationship in family firms : the effect of control mechanisms and family-related goals, Review of Managerial Science, 12, pp. 855-883.
- Leotta A., Rizza C., Ruggeri D. (2017), Management accounting and leadership construction in family firms, Qualitative Research in Accounting and Management, 14(2), pp. 189-207., DOI: 10.1108/QRAM-09-2015-0079
- Lopez-Valeiras E., Gonzalez-Sanchez M.B., Gomez-Conde J. (2016), The effects of the interactive use of management control systems on process and organizational innovation. Review of Managerial Science, 10(3), pp. 487-510.
- Madison K., Holt D.T., Kellermanns F.W., Ranft A.L. (2016), Viewing Family Firm Behavior and Governance Through the Lens of Agency and Stewardship Theories, Family Business Review, 29(1), pp. 65-93., DOI: 10.1177/0894486515594292
- Marchi L. (2011), L’evoluzione del controllo di gestione nella prospettiva informative e gestionale esterna, Management Control, 3, pp. 5-16., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2011-003001
- Masciarelli F., Prencipe A. (2010). Dinamiche evolutive delle imprese familiari: il ruolo del capitale umano e del capitale sociale nel ricambio generazionale, Rivista Piccola Impresa-Small Business, 1, pp. 47-70.
- Mazzola P., Marchisio G., Astrachan J. (2008), Strategic planning in family business: A powerful developmental tool for the next generation, Family Business Review, 21(3), 239-258.
- Miglietta N. (2009), Family business: strategie di governo delle imprese familiari, Padova, Cedam.
- Miller D., Le Breton-Miller I., Scholnick B. (2008), Stewardship vs. stagnation: An empirical comparison of small family and non-family businesses, Journal of Management Studies, 45(1), pp. 51-78.
- Minichilli A., Corbetta G., MacMillan I.C. (2010), Top management teams in family-controlled companies: “Familiness”, “faultlines”, and their impact on financial performance, Journal of Management Studies, 47(2), pp. 205-222.
- Mintzberg H. (1979), The structuring of organizations, Prentice Hall.
- Mintzberg H., Waters J. (1982), Tracking strategy in an entrepreneurial firm. Academy of Management Journal.
- Moilanen S. (2008), The role of accounting in the management control system: A case study of a family led firm, Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management, 5(3), pp. 165-183., DOI: 10.1108/11766090810910209
- Moores K., Mula J. (2000), The Salience of Market, Bureaucratic, and Clan Controls in the Management of Family Firm Transitions: Some Tentative Australian Evidence. Family Business Review, 13(2), pp. 91-106.
- Neubauer F., Lank A.G. (1998), The family business: its governance and sustainability. London, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Neubaum D.O., Thomas C.H., Dibrell C., Craig J.B. (2017), Stewardship Climate Scale: An Assessment of Reliability and Validity, Family Business Review, 30(1), pp. 37-60., DOI: 10.1177/0894486516673701
- Nobolo A. (2000), Continuità e sistemi di governo economico nelle aziende di produzione a proprietà familiare, Milano, Egea.
- Ouchi W.G. (1980), Market, bureaucracies, and Clans.
- Parada M., Nordqvist M., Gimeno A. (2010), Instituzionalizing the family business: The role of professional associations in fostering a change of values, Family Business Review, 23(4)., DOI: 10.1080/0141192012009572
- Parris D.L., Peachey J.W. (2012), A Systematic Literature Review of Servant Leadership Theory in Organizational Contexts. Journal of Business Ethics, (2015), pp. 1-11.
- Pavan A. (2019), Controllo interno e di gestione nella prospettiva del valore, Management Control, Suppl. 1, pp. 5-12., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2019-SU1001
- Peake W., Marshall M.I. (2017), Women’s management practices and performance in rural female-owned family businesses, Journal of Family Business Management, 7(2), pp. 134-150., DOI: 10.1108/JFBM-06-2016-0012
- Peters M., Buhalis D. (2004), Small family hotel business: the need for education and training. Journal of education and training, 46(8/9), pp. 406-416.
- Prencipe A., Bar-Yosef S., Dekker H.C. (2014), Income Smoothing in Family-Controlled Companies: Evidence from Italy, European Accounting Review, 23(3), pp. 361-385., DOI: 10.1080/09638180.2014.895621
- Quinn M., Hiebl M.R.W., Moores K., Craig J.B. (2018), Future research on management accounting and control in family firms: suggestions linked to architecture, governance, entrepreneurship and stewardship, Journal of Management Control, 28(4), pp. 529-546.
- Rizza C., Ruggeri D. (2018), The institutionalization of management accounting tools in family firms: the relevance of multiple logics, Journal of Management Control, 28(4), pp. 503-528.
- Rosenblatt P.C., DeMik L., Anderson R.M., Johnson P.A. (1985), The Family in Business: Understanding and Dealing with the Challenges Entrepreneurial Families Face, San Francisco, Jossey-Bass Publishers.
- Salvato C., Moores K. (2010), Research on accounting in family firms: Past accomplishments and future challenges. Family Business Review, 23(3), pp. 193-215., DOI: 10.1177/0894486510375069
- Samuelsson J., Andersen J., Ljungkvist T., Jansson C. (2016), Formal accounting planning in SMEs, Journal of Small Business and Enterprise Development, 23(3), pp. 691-702.
- Sánchez-Matamoros J.B., Araújo Pinzón P., Álvarez-Dardet Espejo C. (2014), Management accounting change and agency in embedded situations, Revista Espanola de Financiacion y Contabilidad, 43(3), pp. 241-265., DOI: 10.1080/02102412.2014.942153
- Schulze W.S., Lubatkin M.H., Dino R.N., Buchholtz A.K. (2001), Agency Relationships in Family Firms: Theory and Evidence, Organization Science, 12(2), pp. 99-116.
- Senftlechner D., Hiebl M.R.W. (2015), Management accounting and management control in family businesses. Journal of Accounting & Organizational Change, 11(4), pp. 573-606.
- Shanker M.C., Astrachan J. H. (1996), Myths and realities: Family Businesses’ Contribution to the US Economy – A Framework for Assessing Family Business Statistics. Family Business Review, 9(2), pp. 107-123.
- Sharma P. (2004), An Overview of the Field of Family Business Studies : Current Status and Directions for, Family Business Review, 17(1).
- Sirmon avid G., Hitt M.A. (2003), Managing Resources:Linking Unique Resources, Management, and Wealth Creation in Family Firms. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 27(4), pp. 339-358.
- Songini L. (2006), The professionalization of family firms: theory and practice, in Handbook of research in family business (pp. 269-297), Cheltenham, Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Songini L., Gnan L. (2015). Family Involvement and Agency Cost Control Mechanisms in Family Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises. Journal of Small Business Management, 53(3), pp. 748-779.
- Songini L., Gnan L., Malmi T. (2013), The role and impact of accounting in family business. Journal of Family Business Strategy, 4(2), pp. 71-83.
- Songini L., Vola P. (2015), The Role of Professionalization and Managerialization in Family Business Succession. Management Control, 1, pp. 9-43.
- Speckbacher G., Wentges P. (2012), The impact of family control on the use of performance measures in strategic target setting and incentive compensation: A research note. Management Accounting Research, 23(1), pp. 34-46.
- Stergiou K., Ashraf J., Uddin S. (2013), The role of structure and agency in management accounting control change of a family owned firm : A Greek case study, Critical Perspectives on Accounting, 24, pp. 62-73.
- Tagiuri R., Davis J. A. (1992), On the goals of successful family companies, Family Business Review, 5(1), pp. 43-63.
- Tiscini R. (2001), Il valore economico delle aziende di famiglia. Dinamiche di formazione e criteri di stima nelle aziende di dimensione minore, Milano, Giuffrè.
- Truant E., Broccardo L., Culasso F. (2017), Management control practices and benefits: evidence from Italian family and non-family firms, World Review of Entrepreneurship, Management and Sustainable Development, 13(5/6), pp. 612-634.
- Tsamenyi M., Noormansyah I., Uddin S. (2008), Management controls in family-owned businesses (FOBs): A case study of an Indonesian family-owned University, Accounting Forum, 32(1), pp. 62-74.
- Vola P. (2012), La pianificazione del passaggio generazionale nelle family firms, Torino, Giappichelli.
- Xin J., Pan X. (2010), An empirical study on the relationship between cultural dimensions and management control mode in family businesses. 2010 International Conference on E-Product E-Service and E-Entertainment, ICEEE2010, (70972119), pp. 1-4., DOI: 10.1109/ICEEE.2010.5660798
- Yordanova D., Vladimirov Z., Simeonova-Ganeva R. (2015), Management Practices in Bulgarian Family and Non-family SMEs: Exploring “Real” Differences, Family Businesses in Transition Economies (pp. 113-138).
- Zanin F., Comuzzi E. (2019), Scenarizzazione e pianificazione strategica nei contesti complessi. Management Control, 1, pp. 95-120., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2019-SU1006
Francesco Badia, Grazia Dicuonzo, Simona Ranaldo, Vittorio Dell’Atti, Management Control in Family Business. A Literature Review in "MANAGEMENT CONTROL" Suppl. 1/2020, pp. 79-102, DOI:10.3280/MACO2020-001-S1006