Sticky costs: le determinanti e le sfide per manager e accademici
Journal Title: MANAGEMENT CONTROL
Author/s: Cristiana Cattaneo, Gaia Bassani
Suppl. 1 Language:
FullText PDF: 343 KB
(DOI is like a bar code for intellectual property: to have more infomation:
Keywords: Sticky costs, Literature review, Decision-making, Cost stickiness, De-terminants.
- Anderson M., Asdemir O., Tripathy A. (2013), Use of precedent and antecedent information in strategic cost management, Journal of Business Research, 66, pp. 643-650.
- Anderson M.C., Banker R.D., Janakiraman S.N. (2003), Are selling, general and administrative costs “Sticky”? Journal of Accounting Research, 41, pp. 47-63.
- Anderson M., Banker R., Huang R., Janakiraman S. (2007), Cost behavior and fundamental analysis of SG&A costs, Journal of Accounting, Auditing & Finance, 22, pp. 1-28.
- Anderson M., Lee J.H., Mashruwala R. (2016), Cost Stickiness and Cost Inertia: A Two-Driver Model of Asymmetric Cost Behavior, SSRN Electronic Journal, pp. 1-38.
- Argilés-Bosch J.M., García-Blandón J. (2011), The influence of size on cost behavior associated with tactical and operational flexibility, Estudios de Economía, 38, pp.419-455.
- Argilés-Bosch J.M., García-Blandón J., Ravenda D., Valencia-Silva M.M., Somoza A.D. (2017), The influence of the trade-off between profitability and future increases in sales on cost stickiness, Estudios de Economía, 44, pp. 81-104.
- Awad E.A. (2015), Economic growth and cost stickiness: evidence from Egypt, Journal of Financial Reporting and Accounting, 13, pp. 119-140.
- Awad E.A.I., Ezat A.N. (2017), Sticky cost behavior: evidence from Egypt, Journal of Accounting in Emerging Economies, 7, pp. 16-34.
- Balakrishnan R., Gruca T.S. (2008), Cost stickiness and core competency: a note, Contemporary Accounting Research, 25, pp. 993-1006.
- Balakrishnan R., Labro E., Soderstrom N.S. (2014), Cost Structure and Sticky Costs, Journal of Management Accounting Research, 26, pp. 91-116.
- Balakrishnan R., Petersen M.J., Soderstrom N.S. (2004), Does capacity utilization affect the "Stickiness" of cost? Journal of Accounting, Auditing & Finance, 19, pp. 283-299.
- Banker R.D., Byzalov D. (2014), Asymmetric Cost Behavior, Journal of management Accounting Research, 26, pp. 43-79.
- Banker R.D., Basu S., Byzalov D., Chen J.Y. (2016), The confounding effect of cost stickiness, Journal of Accounting and Economics, 61, pp. 203-220.
- Banker R.D., Byzalov D., Chen, L. (2013), Employment protection legislation, adjustment costs and cross-country differences in cost behavior, Journal of Accounting & Economics, 55, 111-127.
- Banker R.D., Byzalov D., Ciftci M., Mashruwala R. (2014), The Moderating Effect of Prior Sales Changes on Asymmetric Cost Behavior, Journal of Management Accounting Research, 26, pp. 221-242.
- Banker R.D., Chen L. (2006), Predicting Earnings Using a Model Based on Cost Variability and Cost Stickiness, The Accounting Review, 81, pp. 285-307.
- Baumgarten D., Bonenkamp U., Homburg C. (2010), The information content of the SG&A ratio, Journal of Management Accounting Research, 22, pp. 1-22.
- Belina H., Surysekar K., Weismann M. (2019), On the medical loss ratio (MLR) and sticky selling general and administrative costs: Evidence from health insurers, Journal of Accounting & Public Policy, 38, pp. 53-61.
- Bosch J.M., Blandón J.G. (2011), The influence of size on cost behaviour associated with tactical and operational flexibility, Estudios de Economia, 38, pp. 419-455.
- Bouwens J., Steens B. (2016), Full-Cost Transfer Pricing and Cost Management, Journal of Management Accounting Research, 28, pp. 63-81.
- Bracci E. (2013), La gestione e ottimizzazione dei costi amministrativi d’azienda: il lean office in azione, Management Control, Special Issue 2, pp. 67-86., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2013-002003
- Bradbury M.E., Scott T. (2018), Do managers forecast asymmetric cost behaviour? Australian Journal of Management, 43, pp. 538-554.
- Bugeja M., Lu M., Shan Y. (2015), Cost Stickiness in Australia: Characteristics and Determinants, Australian Accounting Review, 25, pp. 248-261.
- Calleja K., Steliaros M., Thomas D.C. (2006) A note on cost stickiness: Some international comparisons, Management Accounting Research, 17, pp. 127-140.
- Cannon J.N. (2014), Determinants of "Sticky Costs": An Analysis of Cost Behavior using United States Air Transportation Industry Data, The Accounting Review, 89, pp. 1645-1672.
- Chae S. J., Ryu H. Y. (2016), The Effect of Control–Ownership Disparity on Cost Stickiness, Journal of Distribution Science, 14, pp. 51-57.
- Chen C.X., Lu H., Sougiannis T. (2012), The Agency Problem, Corporate Governance, and the Asymmetrical Behavior of Selling, General, and Administrative Costs, Contemporary Accounting Research, 29, pp. 252-282.
- Chiucchi M.S. (2014), Il gap tra teoria e prassi nel Management Accounting: il contributo della field-based research, Management Control, 3, pp. 5-9., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2014-00300
- Chung C.Y., Hur S.-K., Liu C. (2019), Institutional investors and cost stickiness: Theory and evidence, Journal of Economics & Finance, 47, pp. 336-350.
- Ciftci M., Mashruwala R., Weiss D. (2016), Implications of Cost Behavior for Analysts’ Earnings Forecasts, Journal of Management Accounting Research, 28, pp. 57-80.
- Ciftci M., Salama F.M. (2018), Stickiness in Costs and Voluntary Disclosures: Evidence from Management Earnings Forecasts, Journal of Management Accounting Research, 30, pp. 211-234.
- Cinquini L, Collini P., Marelli A., Tenucci A. (2011), I cambiamenti del costing nelle aziende manifatturiere: risultati di una ricerca comparative, Management Control, 1, pp. 11-40., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2011-001002
- Cinquini L., Miraglia R.A., Giannetti R. (2016), Editoriale. Strumenti di gestione dei costi e misure di performance negli attuali contesti competitivi, Management Control, 2, pp. 5-14., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2016-00200
- Cohen S., Karatzimas S., Naoum V.C. (2017), The sticky cost phenomenon at the local government level: empirical evidence from Greece, Journal of Applied Accounting Research, 18, pp. 445-463.
- Coller G. (2017), L’eterno divario tra teoria e prassi del pricing nel Management Accounting, Management Control, 2, pp. 11-33., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2018-002002
- Cooper R., Kaplan R. (1998), The Design of Cost Management Systems: Text, Cases and Readings. 2nd ed. Upper Saddle River, N.J.: Prentice Hall.
- Dalla Via N., Perego P. (2014), Sticky cost behaviour: Evidence from small and medium sized companies, Accounting and Finance, 54, pp. 753-778.
- Darabi R. (2013), The relationship between tenure with cost sticky and cost of goods sold in Tehran stock exchange, International Journal of Research in Commerce & Management, 4, pp. 10-17.
- Guenther T.W., Riehl A., Rößler R. (2014), Cost stickines: State of art of research and implications, Journal Management Control, pp. 301-318.
- Habib A., Hasan M.M. (2019), Corporate Social Responsibility and Cost Stickiness, Business & Society, 2019, 58, pp. 453-492.
- Hosomi S., Nagasawa S. (2018a), Study on downside risk of demand and cost behavior of local enterprises: verification of local public enterprise manager's decisions making based on a population estimate scenario in the future, Asia-Pacific Management Accounting Journal, 13, pp. 21-44.
- Hosomi S., Nagasawa S. (2018b), Empirical study on asymmetric cost behavior: analysis of the sticky costs of local public enterprises, Asia-Pacific Management Accounting Journal, 13, pp. 55-82.
- Hosomi S., Nagasawa S. (2018c), A study on the effect of amalgamation on cost behavior of local public enterprises, Asia-Pacific Management Accounting Journal, 13, pp. 109-130.
- Hsu W.-H., Lin C., Liu H.-T. (2018), Customer-supplier Relationship and Cost Structure, NTU Management Review, 28, pp. 243-282.
- Kama I., Weiss D. (2013), Do Earnings Targets and Managerial incentives Affect Sticky Costs? Journal of Accounting Research, 51, pp. 201-224.
- Kitching K., Mashruwala R., Pevzner M. (2016), Culture and Cost Stickiness: A Cross-country Study, The International Journal of Accounting, 51, pp. 402-417.
- Kontesa M., Brahmana R.K. (2018), Cost Stickiness effect on firm's performance: insights from Malaysia, Asia-Pacific Management Accounting Journal, 13, pp. 1-19.
- Li W. L., Zheng K. (2017), Product market competition and cost stickiness, Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, 49, pp. 283-313.
- Liu X. Liu X., Reid Colin D. (2019), Stakeholder Orientations and Cost Management, Contemporary Accounting Research, 2019, 36, pp. 486-512.
- Magheed B. A. (2016), The Determines of the Sticky Cost Behavior in the Jordanian Industrial Companies Listed in Amman Stock Market, Journal of Accounting, Business & Management, 23, pp. 64-81.
- Marchi L., Trucco S. (2017), La comunicazione al mercato delle performance economico-finanziarie: il ruolo del controllo di gestione, Management Control, 3, pp. 55-78., DOI: 10.3280/MACO2017-003005
- Noreen E. (1991), Conditions under Which Activity-based Costs Provide Relevant Costs, Journal of Management Accounting Research, 3, pp. 159-168.
- Noreen E., Soderstrom N. (1994), Are Overhead Costs Strictly Proportional to Activity? Journal of Accounting and Economics, 17, pp. 255-278.
- Noreen E., Soderstrom N. (1997), The Accuracy of Proportional Cost Models: Evidence from Hospital Service Departments, Review of Accounting Studies, 2, pp. 89-114.
- Novák P., Popesko B. (2014), Cost Variability and Cost Behavioiur in Manufacturing Enterprises, Economics and Sociology, 7, pp. 89-103.
- Novák P., Dvorský J., Popesko B., Strouhal J. (2017), Analysis of overhead cost behavior: case study on decision-making approach, Journal of International Studies, 10, pp. 74-91.
- Panwar R., Nybakk E., Pinkse J., Hansen E. (2015), Being Good When Not Doing Well: Examining the Effect of the Economic Downturn on Small Manufacturing Firms’ Ongoing Sustainability-Oriented Initiatives, Organization & Environment, 28, pp. 204-222.
- Porporato M., Werbin E. (2012), Evidence of sticky costs in banks of Argentina, Brazil and Canada, International Journal Financial Services Management, 5, pp. 303-320.
- Prabowo R., Hooghiemstra R., Van Veen-Dirks P. (2018), State Ownership, Socio-political Factors, and Labor Cost Stickiness, European Accounting Review, 27, pp. 771-796.
- Rouxelin F., Wongsunwai W., Yehuda N. (2018), Aggregate Cost Stickiness in GAAP Financial Statements and Future Unemployment Rate, The Accounting Review, 93, pp. 299-325.
- Shust E., Weiss D. (2014), Asymmetric Cost Behavior- Sticky Costs: Expenses versus Cash Flows, Journal of Management Accounting Research, 26, pp. 81-90.
- Tranfield D, Denyer D., Smart P. (2003), Towards a Methodology for Developing Evidence-Informed Management Knowledge by Means of Systematic Review, British Journal of Management, 14, pp. 207-222.
- Uy A. O. (2016), Analyzing cost behavior of Philippine industrial firms, Academy of Accounting and Financial Studies Journal, 20, pp. 103-113.
- Uy A.O. (2011), Modeling cost behavior: linear models for cost stickiness, Academy of Accounting & Financial Studies Journal, Supplement, pp. 25-34.
- Vela-Beltrán-del-Río C., Llanos Reynoso L.F. (2019), The Deceitfulness of Sticky Costs on Banking Systems, Journal of Accounting, Business & Management, 25, pp. 61-80.
- Venieris G., Naoum V.C., Vlismas O. (2015), Organisation capital and sticky behaviour of selling, generaland administrative expenses, Management Accounting Research, 26, pp. 54-82.
- Weiss D. (2010), Cost behavior and analysts' earnings forecasts, The Accounting Review, 85, pp. 1441-1471.
- Xu J., Sim J.W. (2017), Are costs really sticky and biased? Evidence from manufacturing listed companies in China, Applied Economics, 49, pp. 5601-5613.
- Yang D. (2015), Mergers, CEO Hubris, and Cost Stickiness, Emerging Markets Finance & Trade, 51, pp. 46-63.
- Yang Y. (2019), Do Accruals Earnings Management Constraints and Intellectual Capital Efficiency Trigger Asymmetric Cost Behaviour? Evidence from Australia, Australian Accounting Review, 29, pp. 177-192
- Yong H.J., Ahn T.S., Jung H.R., Park J.H. (2015), Costing Rule and Cost Behavior in the Korean Defense Industry, Seoul Journal of Business, 21, pp. 31-58.
- Zanella F., Oyelereb P., Hossainc S. (2015), Are costs really sticky? Evidence from publicly listed companies in the UAE, Applied Economics, 47, pp. 6519-6528.
Cristiana Cattaneo, Gaia Bassani, in "MANAGEMENT CONTROL" Suppl. 1/2020, pp. 103-126, DOI:10.3280/MACO2020-001-S1007