In 1952 the Compagnia Brasiliana di Colonizzazione e Immigrazione Italiana founded the agricultural colony of Pedrinhas Paulista, populated by Italian farmers. The architect Rosario Megna was commissioned by the Company to design a new agricultural village applying the basic principles of rationality and economy. He decided to set the urban center in the mid of the agricultural lands, dividing it in an area reserved for public buildings, another for residences and another for craft activities with workers’ homes in the offing. The urban houses and the farmhouses were equipped with accessories appropriate to local conditions. The urban planning and architectural design solutions elaborated by the architect have ratified the success of the colony and nowadays Pedrinhas is a town of about three thousand inhabitants supported by a thriving agricultural economy.
Keywords: land planning; urban planning; architectural design