The PDP - Personal & Professional Development Planning as tool generating opportunities: Reflections from a first experience in Higher Education
Journal Title: EXCELLENCE AND INNOVATION IN LEARNING AND TEACHING
Author/s: Simone Visentin, Daniela Frison, Ilaria Lupo
FullText PDF: 330 KB
(DOI is like a bar code for intellectual property: to have more infomation:
The paper presents the results of a qualitative micro research on the implementation of a PDP (Professional Development Planning) model conceived as a Work-Integrated Learning tool and based on the Capability Approach.
Keywords: Capability Approach, Human Development, Work-Integrated Learning, Professional Development Planning, Higher Education.
- Appadurai, A. (2004). The Capacity to Aspire: Culture and the Terms of Recognition. In V. Rao and M. Walton (eds.). Culture and Public Action (59-84). Palo Alto, CA: Stanford University Press.
- Boffo, V., & Fedeli, M. (Eds.) (2018). Employability & Competences: Innovative Curricula for New Professions. Firenze: Firenze University Press.
- Boffo, V., & Melacarne, C. (2019). Employability in higher education. New directions for adult and continuing education, 163, 163-169.
- Boni, A., & Gasper, D. (2012). Rethinking the Quality of Universities: How Can Human Development Thinking Contribute?. Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, 13(3), 451-470.
- Cooper, L., Orrell, J., & Bowden, M. (2010). Work integrated learning: A guide to effective practice. Routledge.
- Englert, C. S., & Sugai, G. (1983). Teacher training: improving trainee performance through peer observation system technology. Teacher Education and Special Education, 6, 7-17.
- Frison, D. (2016). Esperienza e apprendimento: verso una didattica work-related. In M.
- Fedeli, V. Grion, & D. Frison (eds.). Coinvolgere per apprendere. Metodi e tecniche partecipative per la formazione (pp. 259-288). Lecce: Pensa Multimedia. Frison, D. (2018). The Design of Work-Related Teaching & Learning Methods: Case Studies and Methodological Recommendations. In V. Boffo, & M. Fedeli (eds.).
- Employability & Competences: Innovative Curricula for New Professions (pp. 37-48). Firenze: Firenze University Press.
- Ghedin, E. (2009). Ben-essere disabili. Napoli: Liguori.
- Haq, U. M. (1999). Reflections on human development. Delhi: Oxford University Press.
- Harvey, L. (2005). Embedding and integrating employability. New Directions for Institutional Research, 128, 13-28.
- Kennedy, M., Billett, S., Gherardi, S., & Grealish, L. (2015). Practice-based learning in higher education: Jostling cultures. In M. Kennedy, S. Billett, S. Gherardi, & L. Grealish (eds.). Practice-based Learning in Higher Education (pp. 1-13). Springer, Dordrecht.
- Keyes C.L.M. (2002). The mental health continuum: From languishing to flourishing in life. Journal of health and social research, 43, 207-222.
- Leggett, D., & Hoyle, S. (1987). Peer coaching: one district’s experience in using teachers as staff developers. Journal of Staff Development, 8, 1.
- Lu, H. L. (2010). Research on peer coaching in preservice teacher education – A review of literature. Teaching and teacher education, 26(4), 748-753.
- Ma, N., Xin, S., & Du, J. Y. (2018). A peer coaching-based professional development approach to improving the learning participation and learning design skills of inservice teachers. Journal of Educational Technology & Society, 21(2), 291-304.
- Moon, J. A. (2004). Reflection and employability. York: LTSN Generic Centre.
- Neubert, G. A., & McAllister, E. A. (1993). Peer coaching in preservice education. Teacher Education Quarterly, 20(4), 77-84.
- Nussbaum, M. (1997). Cultivating Humanity. A classical defence of reform in liberal education. Massachusetts, (USA): Harvard University Press.
- Nussbaum, M. (2011). Creating capabilities. The Human development approach. Cambridge (UK): The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press.
- OECD. (2007). OECD Employment Outlook 2007. Paris: OECD Publishing.
- Pastore, S. (2016). Shaping experience: strategie didattiche per l’apprendimento riflessivo.
- In M. Fedeli, V. Grion, & D. Frison (eds.). Coinvolgere per apprendere. Metodi e tecniche partecipative per la formazione (pp. 211-231). Lecce: Pensa Multimedia.
- QAA (2009) Personal development planning: guidance for institutional policy and practice in higher education. -- Available at: http://www.qaa.ac.uk/academicinfrastructure/progressfiles/guidelines/pdp/pdpguide.pdf.
- Saito, M. (2003). Amartya Sen's Capability Approach to Education: A Critical Exploration. Journal of Philosophy of Education, 37(1), 17-33.
- Sen, A. (1985). Well-being, Agency and freedom: The Dewey Lectures 1984. Journal of Philosophy, 82 (4), 169-221.
- Sen, A. (1999a). Commodities and Capabilities. New Delhi, India: Oxford University Press.
- Sen, A. (1999b). Development as freedom. Oxford (UK): Oxford University Press. Smith M.L., Seward C. (2009). The Relational Ontology of Amartya Sen’s Capability Approach: Incorporating Social and Individual Causes. Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, 10(2), 213-235.
- Smigiel, H., Macleod, C., & Stephenson, H. (2015). Managing competing demands in the delivery of work integrated learning: an institutional case study. In M. Kennedy, S. Billett, S. Gherardi, & L. Grealish (eds.), Practice-Based Learning in Higher Education (pp. 159-172). Springer, Dordrecht.
- Strivens, J., & Ward, R. (2010). An overview of the development of Personal Development Planning (PDP) and e-Portfolio practice in UK higher education. Journal of
- Learning Development in Higher Education, 2010, 1-23. -- Online http://journal.aldinhe.ac.uk/index.php/jldhe/article/view/114.
- Unesco (1998), World Declaration On Higher Education For The Twenty-First Century: Vision And Action, Paris.
- Vaughan, R. P., Walker, M. (2012). Capabilities, Values and Education Policy. Journal of Human Development and Capabilities, 13(3), 495-512.
- Vermersch, P. (2005). Descrivere il lavoro: nuovi strumenti per la formazione e la ricerca: l’intervista di esplicitazione. Roma: Carocci Faber.
- Visentin, S. (2016). Progetti di Vita fiorenti. Napoli: Liguori.
- Walker M. and Unterhalter E. (Eds) (2007). Amartya Sen’s Capability Approach and Social Justice in Education (109-130). Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Winberg, C., Engel-Hills, P., Garraway, J., & Jacobs, C. (2011). Work-integrated Learning: Good Practice Guide – HE Monitor. Pretoria, South Africa: Council on Higher Education.
- Winters, J.V. (2011). Human Capital, Higher Education Institutions and Quality of Life. Regional Science and Urban Economics, 41(5), 446-454.
- World Bank (2002). Constructing Knowledge Societies: New Challenges for Tertiary Education. Washington: The World Bank.
Simone Visentin, Daniela Frison, Ilaria Lupo, The PDP - Personal & Professional Development Planning as tool generating opportunities: Reflections from a first experience in Higher Education in "EXCELLENCE AND INNOVATION IN LEARNING AND TEACHING" 2/2019, pp. 75-91, DOI:10.3280/EXI2019-002005